GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Just had a dealership decline a warranty repair for a failed slave cylinder due to the car having a locking subframe collar kit. Should I just take it to Tyrolsport for a clutch upgrade? Please pick one.

□Yes
□Yes
wtf was their justification? they have to prove your mod caused the failure

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
And what if they tell you to go kick rocks?
You're going to spend $$$ to lawyer up and wait a couple of years for it go to trial?
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act sounds nice on paper but I doubt stealerships really give a damn about it

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
And what if they tell you to go kick rocks?
You're going to spend $$$ to lawyer up and wait a couple of years for it go to trial?
Magnuson Moss Warranty Act sounds nice on paper but I doubt stealerships really give a damn about it
You could elevate upwards to VWOA. Not a guarantee by any regard, but definitely an option

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
They did not deny warranty coverage. They just declined to do the repairs because they "can't promise it will all go back together right and not make noise".

At first it seemed like they wanted to charge some labor for having to remove/install the dead set kit, which I get. But they called back today to decline to do the work.

They haven't diagnosed the car any further than saying the issue is "internal", so they should probably waive the diagnosis fee hopefully.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
They did not deny warranty coverage. They just declined to do the repairs because they "can't promise it will all go back together right and not make noise".

At first it seemed like they wanted to charge some labor for having to remove/install the dead set kit, which I get. But they called back today to decline to do the work.

They haven't diagnosed the car any further than saying the issue is "internal", so they should probably waive the diagnosis fee hopefully.
they dont want to take liability for putting the aftermarket parts back on your car and it be their fault when something isnt right. i dont blame them.

not saying its the right thing to do but they are a business and they are free to refuse service. if they are mitigating future "i brought my car here for you guys to fix it but now something else is wrong and you need to fix it on your dollar" then I can understand why they turned you down

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R

Ah, I see. My bad. But isn't the point of the deadset kit to make sure that it goes back together right....every time???

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Just had a dealership decline a warranty repair for a failed slave cylinder due to the car having a locking subframe collar kit. Should I just take it to Tyrolsport for a clutch upgrade? Please pick one.

□Yes
□Yes

Go to a different dealer. I botched the install on my ECS bleeder block a few years ago, right before driving the car across the country to Colorado. The line blew while I was in Denver (lucky not in bumfuck Kansas) and the mod friendly dealer there (to whom I was referred by locals on this very forum) fixed my bad install, on an aftermarket part, for free

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
+1 for the AAwireless unit. I've had it for a while now and it works great, no issues with bumps or disconnects, ever.

Setup was easy and it connects in seconds every time. The manufacturer has pushed a couple OTA updates since I've had it, and I appreciate how simple that process is as well.

If there's any con, it's that the phone battery drain is a little high when connected. But I have a phone charger in the center console outlet if needed for longer drives.

I installed the AAwireless unit yesterday and it is almost unusable. I've gotten it to connect a total of three times. Once I shut the car off and restart, it never reconnects. Blinking green lights. I've run through the troubleshooter at least a dozen times, which is how I got it to connect those three times. Beyond frustrating. I'm not sure how this thing is supposed to work, so maybe you guys can help me figure it out.

Should my phone be BT paired to my head unit (MIB 2.5, 2018+) when using this unit? Mine is.
Should my phone be BT paired to the AAwireless unit? Mine is.
Should my phone be connected to the AAwireless unit via wifi? If I try and connect to the AAwireless AP, it prompts me for a password, which I don't have. Is this normal? Do you use 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
Any ideas about what I should try next?

viewsonic

Car(s)
2018 GTI - 6MT
I installed the AAwireless unit yesterday and it is almost unusable. I've gotten it to connect a total of three times. Once I shut the car off and restart, it never reconnects. Blinking green lights. I've run through the troubleshooter at least a dozen times, which is how I got it to connect those three times. Beyond frustrating. I'm not sure how this thing is supposed to work, so maybe you guys can help me figure it out.

Should my phone be BT paired to my head unit (MIB 2.5, 2018+) when using this unit? Mine is.
Should my phone be BT paired to the AAwireless unit? Mine is.
Should my phone be connected to the AAwireless unit via wifi? If I try and connect to the AAwireless AP, it prompts me for a password, which I don't have. Is this normal? Do you use 2.4GHz or 5GHz?
Any ideas about what I should try next?
You do want phone be BT paired to the AAwireless unit. Try unpairing phone BT from head unit/car - I think it get confused when starting the car otherwise. Not sure if true, just my experience. I don't remember the wifi details but I think it walks you thought what permissions to enable during setup. Worst case, you can reset theAAwireless unit, delete and reinstall the app to your phone and try again. This article from the AAwireless support page may help:

https://cpeb.freshdesk.com/support/...evice-never-connects-and-keeps-blinking-green

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
why tf do my ebc red pads squeak so damn much? they have ~3k miles on them so well past the break-in period. will be taking the wheels off tomorrow to check em but don't expect to find anything
Because they suck. Get Hawks. I went through 3 sets of EBC squeaky-ness before I gave up and switched to Hawk. Now no more squeaky.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Maybe I'm getting old, but as I was driving home from work yesterday, I was asking myself "what other car would I rather have (that is sold in the US) and I couldn't think of anything. The Alltrack SEL has all the electronic gizmos and everything is mature enough to work as intended. It has plenty of power for day to day driving and has plenty of storage.

While there are plenty of cars that would be nice to have (track car, Land Cruiser, Miata), I really can't think of another car that I'd want for daily use.

What would you get as a replacement for your one and only car?
I got 14 months left on my GTI, and I have already decided to finally buy my dream car, a 911 Carrera. Im so excited that I have considered paying off the GTI early. I have been playing with the car configurator and torn between PDK and the 7 speed. My analogy is if I want to shift gears, I have the GTI. Also, If I choose PDK, I will probably get the Carrera 4 model. Annoyed that you have to bump up to S models though to get a manual shift. So many options, I have like 4 different build so far lol. Colors I am looking at Chalk and Gentian Blue.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I got 14 months left on my GTI, and I have already decided to finally buy my dream car, a 911 Carrera. Im so excited that I have considered paying off the GTI early. I have been playing with the car configurator and torn between PDK and the 7 speed. My analogy is if I want to shift gears, I have the GTI. Also, If I choose PDK, I will probably get the Carrera 4 model. Annoyed that you have to bump up to S models though to get a manual shift. So many options, I have like 4 different build so far lol. Colors I am looking at Chalk and Gentian Blue.
"oh you got the automatic? SICK!" - no one, ever

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Maybe I'm getting old, but as I was driving home from work yesterday, I was asking myself "what other car would I rather have (that is sold in the US) and I couldn't think of anything. The Alltrack SEL has all the electronic gizmos and everything is mature enough to work as intended. It has plenty of power for day to day driving and has plenty of storage.

While there are plenty of cars that would be nice to have (track car, Land Cruiser, Miata), I really can't think of another car that I'd want for daily use.

What would you get as a replacement for your one and only car?

I went from a 2019 Alltrack manual to a 2016 Touareg TDI. The Touareg is almost as efficient as the Alltrack on the highway, obviously fares a bit worse around town. For my use case, I really didn’t “need” the Treg but I also don’t regret my decision whatsoever. It’s the nicest car I’ve owned hands down, and in so many ways is a noteworthy step above the golf platform vehicles I’ve always owned.

If my Alltrack was a DSG I wouldn’t have sold it. But part of me is glad it wasnt a DSG, because then I wouldn’t have sold it for a nice profit and been able to drive my Touareg.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
"oh you got the automatic? SICK!" - no one, ever
Yea lol Im sure I will catch slack for buying an "automatic" 911, but then again Im buying the car, not them.