GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm not sure, from my caveman understanding, fueling doesn't seem to be an issue. I think it's going to turn out to be some weird red herring that I need to chase down.

Just a shot in the dark, but the early 19's would choke like that below 4000 rpm and it ended up being due to requested and actual timing not being in sync. Do you have a way to log requested vs actual timing?

I doubt the cause of mismatch would be the same (in the case of the 19 VW didn't program the sensor for vvt for the lighter weight oil), but you could have a failing sensor.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Auto driver energy:
8EF2A659-EA5A-4F91-AB32-22EDE1F4619B.jpeg
41C8FF92-B625-4371-9B18-D743E15641E7.jpeg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Those are nice looking slush box paddles. 😜

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Quickly realized the tow hitch mount for front license plate is difficult to place in a spot that doesn't interfere with the PDC sensors lol. Went with the EOS one.

I think I finally got it, but not super happy with how it looks. Might grab the front grille bracket one, since that would keep it out of the way of the sensors.

Didn't think about this when I bought it..

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
So quick question that may be dumb, but it's something I've never seen before.

Should the valves be closed when the engine is off, or are them being open normal?

I'll post the actual pictures in a minute, not just a picture of a picture. But the intake valves on cyl 1 are definitely open...

20220923_134652.jpg

20220923_134717.jpg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Depends on where you are in the engine's combustion cycle. Some cylinders will be open, some closed.

Thanks, I've just never seen that any of the times I've scoped my cylinders before.

Alright, here's some albums of actual pictures.

Cylinder 1, with the open valves. Valves themselves look reasonably clean, but looks like the chamber is full of carbon?

Cylinder 2, tried to manually rotate the engine, but couldn't do it. Weak :(

Cylinder 3, again, couldn't rotate the piston down :(

Cylinder 4, the one which had the oil on the plug. Don't see any signs of oil intrusion, but can still see a little at the bottom of the spark plug well(?). Could be holdover from before?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That Depstech camera is badass.

For $70, it's pretty good.

Oh, and here's the actual plugs with about 500 miles on them. 1, 2, 3, 4

1663956505736.png

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
But either way, since I don't know what I'm looking for anyway, unless it's a straight up crack in a piston or cylinder wall 🤣

Things look kosher?