GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Automatic Front and Rear Braking

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Mine has slammed on the brakes leaving a somewhat steep driveway. First time it happened it was so sudden and immediate I thought I had been hit from behind.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Yes, I sometimes back too fast into my garage when getting home and the freaking car jams on the brakes and freaks me out, man! FREAKS. ME. OUT. I have clearance all around but the car saw how close I was to the things against the wall and made a decision to stop when my foot was clearly pushing on the gas. So, yeah, foot needs not be on the brake pedal.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
It slammed my brakes on in a parking lot once because of a bush. I was slowing but apparently not fast enough for the computer. Had to re-adjust the sensitivity

Mine has slammed on the brakes leaving a somewhat steep driveway. First time it happened it was so sudden and immediate I thought I had been hit from behind.

Yes, I sometimes back too fast into my garage when getting home and the freaking car jams on the brakes and freaks me out, man! FREAKS. ME. OUT. I have clearance all around but the car saw how close I was to the things against the wall and made a decision to stop when my foot was clearly pushing on the gas. So, yeah, foot needs not be on the brake pedal.

Yup. For the most part, I've found it kind of pointless. The small handful of times it has kicked in, it wasn't necessary at all. And same thing, it just fucking slams the brakes and startles the shit out of you. I was backing out of a parking space that was up against the road (so backing into the road pretty much). I was slowly inching my way towards the road so I could back out when there was a pause in traffic coming by. Was still a good 5' from road, and maybe inching towards it. Picked up a car coming by and the car braked as hard as it could. Completely unnecessary.

ER9240

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Had cruise control on last night and a small box blew across my lane. It beeped and hit the brakes pretty hard - scared the crap out of me. Foot was not on the brake at all.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT

Team back into the garage here too. Hate it when I'm not quick enough and stall.

acoustic_

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I had a guy cut me off and try to make a right turn in front of me. I was on the brake slowly, and he would have turned before I came up to him, but the car thought differently. Freaked me the fuck out when it just smashed the brakes and made loud beep sounds.

Realized what happened as I looked at the dash.. but jeez, so fucking dumb.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
In the manual it says if you continue pushing the accelerator it doesn't brake. I've found thats accurate.

If you take your foot off the gas while it pops up then you're gonna be braking.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I've had the AEB front assist slam the brakes on when a potato chip bag blew in front of my grille.

I've never had the car stop when backing up. Never saw anyone's video of it doing it either.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
I've had the AEB front assist slam the brakes on when a potato chip bag blew in front of my grille.

I've never had the car stop when backing up. Never saw anyone's video of it doing it either.
I've been leaving a parking lot with a severe dip to the road and it's jammed on the brakes as well. But, if ecsta is correct, I likely took my foot off the accelerator because it, again, freaked me out, so it stopped the car. I have not yet gone to that parking lot again and kept my foot on the gas to see if it indeed does keep going. But that would just defeat a so-called safety feature so I kind of have been trained to take in the input and check to see if it's legitimate. I'll have to experiment making sure there really is no danger and just keep my foot down.