GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If it includes the alignment, which it should, that's actually not unreasonable. How close are you to @GTI Jake ? Shoot him a PM and see what he would charge you.

I just don’t have time to take on installation work anymore.

Mayyyyybe during the middle of winter during production parts slow season, but right now I’m booked out several months plus long term side projects & a pile of my own stuff that needs done.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I’m about to buy coil overs and a good shop near me said the labor to install them is 875 and i know that is too much, i was wondering what some of y’all were charged if you went to a shop and got coilovers installed. ty

Took me and a buddy about 3/4 hours to do the suspension in the driveway with all the tools of your mechanically inclined. That seems a little steep for a maximum of a four hour job..

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
What is the path to e85 on an IS20? How does E mixing work? Can I start with an % blend of E and blend to E85? What hardware do I need?

MPI at a minimum, and potentially a LPFP depending on how hard you push the turbo from my research.

E mixing is only useful if you don't have a flex tune, and mainly used to bump up octane or solve knock issues on pump tunes. Normally mixing upward of E30 is fine on most tunes and stock hardware. Though you can get a tune for a specific E blend, like an E-50 blend, or such.

Hardware otherwise depends on tune and and such. You can either do an external gauge/BT module like Fuel-It or Innovate, no gauge with a direct flex sensor signal to the ECU and a ecu gauge reader, or a combo of both. Normally people use water testing kits when blending and a app or other Ethanol calculator to figure out how many gallons of pump and e85 based on Eth %. Really depends on what you plan on doing for your tune, as some of this can be specific to that your chosen tuner or platform for tuning.
This is not true.

MPI isn't required unless you have a hybrid turbo.

On an IS20 you can safely run up to an E30 blend with no hardware fueling upgrades. Higher than E30 all the way up to full E85 you need an upgraded HPFP.

Whatever the case, you need a proper tune. EQT (and others) have staged OTS tunes for E30 and E85.

I'd also argue that E mixing is useful for more than just "not having a flex tune". Again, on an IS20, the EQT Stage 2 E30 tune should see about 30-40hp more than Stage 2 93 octane.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
This is not true.

MPI isn't required unless you have a hybrid turbo.

On an IS20 you can safely run up to an E30 blend with no hardware fueling upgrades. Higher than E30 all the way up to full E85 you need an upgraded HPFP.

Whatever the case, you need a proper tune. EQT (and others) have staged OTS tunes for E30 and E85.

I'd also argue that E mixing is useful for more than just "not having a flex tune". Again, on an IS20, the EQT Stage 2 E30 tune should see about 30-40hp more than Stage 2 93 octane.
Upgraded HPFP is more expensive than MPI Generally. I know quite a few people who would recommend MPI over a HPFP for ethanol. E-30 is about the limits of what you can run stock without modification. MPI allows more fuel flow and also has the added benefit of cleaning the back of the valves.

I run a full flex tune on OS, I used to blend to get a bit more timing out of 91 before that. Most people don't make it a habit to check the ethanol content every time they fill up, so few people really run E blend tunes without some sort of sensor.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Upgraded HPFP is more expensive than MPI Generally. I know quite a few people who would recommend MPI over a HPFP for ethanol. E-30 is about the limits of what you can run stock without modification. MPI allows more fuel flow and also has the added benefit of cleaning the back of the valves.

I run a full flex tune on OS, I used to blend to get a bit more timing out of 91 before that. Most people don't make it a habit to check the ethanol content every time they fill up, so few people really run E blend tunes without some sort of sensor.
Autotech internals cost $350. PR's MPI kit costs $850, and typically people upgrade their LPFP when going MPI, which will cost another $1000+. HPFP is definitely not more expensive than MPI, ever.

Agree with you that I would definitely recommend testing the ethanol content and using a sensor.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Autotech internals cost $350. PR's MPI kit costs $850, and typically people upgrade their LPFP when going MPI, which will cost another $1000+. HPFP is definitely not more expensive than MPI, ever.

Agree with you that I would definitely recommend testing the ethanol content and using a sensor.
Pre-assembled HPFP are $750-900 You can also do MPI for $500 or less.. I did my build for $425. I've heard too many horror stories about people assembling the HPFP internals wrong. For my money I'd go MPI, and this is from a 1.8T with smaller DI injectors and HPFP than a 2.0. A HPFP is a route they could take if they wanted, but MPI and a RS3 LPFP kit would set you back about a grand and handle any turbo you throw it at down the line. 🤷‍♂️

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Pre-assembled HPFP are $750-900 You can also do MPI for $500 or less.. I did my build for $425. I've heard too many horror stories about people assembling the HPFP internals wrong. For my money I'd go MPI, and this is from a 1.8T with smaller DI injectors and HPFP than a 2.0. A HPFP is a route they could take if they wanted, but MPI and a RS3 LPFP kit would set you back about a grand and handle any turbo you throw it at down the line. 🤷‍♂️
sure, if we're talking upgrading the turbo then MPI and LPFP is the way if you want max performance.

Way back when we started this argument friendly discussion (😝) the poster asked what is needed to run E30 on an IS20. the answer to that question is NOT MPI.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
sure, if we're talking upgrading the turbo then MPI and LPFP is the way if you want max performance.

Way back when we started this argument the poster asked what is needed to run E30. the answer to that question is NOT MPI.
He asked what he needed to run full E85:
What is the path to e85 on an IS20? How does E mixing work? Can I start with an % blend of E and blend to E85? What hardware do I need?
He wants to blend to E85. which would be 80% ethanol at max as E85 can range between 45-85% Nationally by legal definition. So unless he lives in a state that regulates it further, it will vary, so I assume he wants a full flex setup. 🤷‍♂️

I gave him information general to E-85 and Blending. To me it didn't seem like he wanted a blend tune, and wanted to run straight E-85.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
He asked what he needed to run full E85:

He wants to blend to E85. which would be 80% ethanol at max as E85 can range between 45-85% Nationally by legal definition. So unless he lives in a state that regulates it further, it will vary, so I assume he wants a full flex setup. 🤷‍♂️

I gave him information general to E-85 and Blending. To me it didn't seem like he wanted a blend tune, and wanted to run straight E-85.
Interpretations aside, even running full E85 or a blend tune, an HPFP is all he needs.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Interpretations aside, even running full E85 or a blend tune, an HPFP is all he needs.
Same could be said for MPI. I'm running full E85 at 80% according to my GM sensor. All I have is MPI. 🤷‍♂️ I also gave the disclaimer that a lot of this is tune or tuning platform dependent. Cobb I believe hasn't released all tables and such, so certain setups are probably popular depending on how they can tune. I wouldn't really know, Cobb was too little too late to the 1.8T world IMO. I'm also spoiled by OS. 70 bucks and some work and you can do better than anything a Cobb platform can offer currently.🤷‍♂️

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Does this mean I just go to the gas station and pump around 3 gallons of E85 into my tank of 93 octane?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Does this mean I just go to the gas station and pump around 3 gallons of E85 into my tank of 93 octane?
Not exactly.

Pumps that sell E85 can actually be anything from E50-E85. You really should test it first using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Boost-Monkey...1_4?keywords=e85+tester&qid=1662868940&sr=8-4

Then knowing what percentage of ethanol you'll get from the pump you need to use a calculator like this to determine how much E and how much 93 to mix in your tank. You should be able to download an app to your phone that does that same thing.
https://www.morepowertuning.com/emix

You can install an ethanol sensor and gauge in your car to monitor what level is in your tank. Something like this:
https://eqtuning.com/collections/vw...rts-mtx-d-ethanol-content-fuel-temp-gauge-kit

Finally, in order to do any of this you need to running an E30 tune. Some tuners have OTS E30 tunes, otherwise you'd need a protune.

Reactions: the

ilovemyeggcar

Car(s)
2018 gti
got a question for y’all, my front left side makes a rattling noise when i make a right turn, it only happens when i turn into the street i live on but i’m guessing it’s just that exact speed that sets it off i got about 25 and let off the gas and make a casual right turn. it’s a rattle that i thinkkkk is the end link but i’d like more imput since i’m about to get coils and don’t wanna mess something else up more by messing with that.

if it is my end link would getting aftermarket end links connecting to my stack sway work, if i need to replace it might as well get a better one. ty in advance.

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
Caught this car in the wild working today- couldn’t figure out what it was on the fly but it was RHD, anyone know what this could be? Looks fun as hell to drive 😂
7043490B-378B-4900-A60A-7A9101EFEC6C.jpeg