GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone fitted a highline reversing camera?

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@jamstonmartames, it looks like there are just 4 measurements needed. Not sure if camera calculates the rest or if ODIS is doing it while the calibration is in process.

[LO]_Cam0 Fixed value input - Ground to Camera Z - 840 mm in my MK7 estate.

[LO]_Cam0 X direction of marker red ribbon - looks like distance from front axle to calibration board. In my case it's set to 4285.00 mm. This value minus wheelbase of MK7 estate (2635.00 mm) gives 1650.00mm which looks like the proper distance from rear axle to calibration board. I assume that ODIS requires the operator to measure rear axle to board since diagnostic software or the camera coding/parameterization already knows the wheelbase and will calculate it itself.

[LO]_Cam0 Y direction of marker - camera transversal offset (0.00 mm if camera lens is in the center of the vehicle, like in Golf MK7 and Seat Leon 5F).

[LO]_Cam0 height of marker - VAS board will have 75 mm or 80 mm.
This is amazing info. I will give it a try.

So based on a golf 7.5 wheel base being 2626mm and the calibration board being 1500mm away.

We'd assume

[LO]_Cam0 Fixed value input - Ground to Camera Z = 820mm
[LO]_Cam0 height of marker = 10mm (printed version on thin plastic lino)
[LO]_Cam0 X direction of marker red ribbon = 1500+2626 = 4126mm
[LO]_Cam0 Y direction of marker = 0mm Being a badge flip camera (it's dead on centre)

Love your videos btw.

Last edited:

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
@jamstonmartames not sure if relevant, but you can also input [LO]_Cam0 fixed value input - ground to wheel arch Z.
In my case it's 685 mm. I believe that difference between ground to wheel arch Z and ground to camera Z should be a fixed value - this is basically height from wheel arch to camera (155mm in my MK7).

Also notice Cam0 Changing default data - ground to Camera Z and Cam0 Changing default data - ground to wheel arch Z.
This might indicate that some parameters are provided by the ODIS guided function (based on VIN) and can be adjusted if required (for example you have modified suspension and the camera height is no longer where ODIS expects it to be).
If that's so, both ground to camera Z and ground to wheel arch Z should be provided by user if using OBDeleven or VCDS.

Notice that I'm just guessing! πŸ˜…

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Here's coding procedure:

And here's the write up:
Code:
Add new module to gateway installation list
19 β†’ adaptation β†’ Installation list β†’ specified installations - Camera System Rear View β†’ coded

Disable RVC-LOW and enable RVC-HIGH in MIB module
5F β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 19 β†’ Bit: 4 β†’ disable
5F β†’ adaptation β†’ Car Function List BAP Gen2 β†’ VPS_0x0B β†’ activated
5F β†’ adaptation β†’ Car Function List BAP Gen2 β†’ VPS_0x0B_msg_bus β†’ Comfort data bus

Enable camera support in parktronic module
Some cars will have module 0x76 available instead of 0x10.
10 β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 02 β†’ Bit: 4 β†’ enable
10 β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 02 β†’ Bit: 5 β†’ disable

Enable camera BAP communication
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 6 BAP for display data

Code vehicle and region
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 00 β†’ vehicle brand
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 01 β†’ vehicle class and generation
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 02 β†’ vehicle body type
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 03 β†’ region

Code vehicle optional equipment
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 0 Trailer Control Unit (J345) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 1 Optical Parking Sensors (OPS) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 2 ParkSteer Assist (PLA) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 5 DSG/Automatic Transmission installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 6 Swinging Logo installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 7 Electric Parking Brake (EPB) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 2 Trailer Towing Assistant (TTA/ARA) Mechanical installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 3 Trailer Towing Assistant (TTA/ARA) Optical installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 4 Tow Bar (AHK) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 5 Rollback recognition

Enable all 4 view modes in camera module
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 07 β†’ Bit: 0 β†’ enable (standard 90Β° view)
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 07 β†’ Bit: 1 β†’ enable (parallel parking assist view)
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 07 β†’ Bit: 2 β†’ enable (towing view)
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 07 β†’ Bit: 4 β†’ enable (fish-eye/cross-traffic view)

Additional light when using camera
This will turn on welcome lights fitted under side mirrors to improve visibility. This feature was designed to 360 Area View (4 camera system), but you can use it with RVC High as well.
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 08 β†’ Bit: 2 β†’ enable (manoeuvre light)
09 β†’ Security Access β†’ Code: 31347
09 β†’ Adaptation β†’ Aussenlicht_uebergreifend - Umfeldleuchte als Manoevrierleuchte β†’ enable

Hide parking sensor image overlay by default
Doesn't work in my MST2 Technisat with P0478T firmware
5F β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 16 β†’ Bit: 7 β†’ enable (hide sensors overlay by default)

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
One more thing for those with fresh camera that requires parameterization:
Most likely you can do it with CarScanner app (both for iOS and Android) and high-quality ELM327 adapter (like Carista).
As said before, my camera is used so it came parameterized and calibrated but I used CarScanner before with my MK7 to parameterize infotainment module.
What you need is the XML file from ODIS, open it and you will find something like:
Code:
<PARAMETER_DATA DIAGNOSTIC_ADDRESS="0x006C" START_ADDRESS="0x0001" PR_IDX="" ZDC_NAME="RVCHIGHLINE" ZDC_VERSION="0001" LOGIN="801129" LOGIN_IND="" DSD_TYPE="1" SESSIONNAME="" FILENAME="">0x00,0x30,0x32,0x33,0x31(...)</PARAMETER_DATA>

DIAGNOSTIC_ADDRESS is the module that you want to upload the dataset to.
START_ADDRESS is where the first byte of the dataset should be placed.
LOGIN is (I believe) security access. Strange that in the example above it's 6-digit.
And the 0x00,0x30,0x32,0x33,0x31(...) is the actual dataset. Copy it, remove all ,0x so you get a clean string like 0030323331(...), save it as .txt file and use it in CarScanner when prompted.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@jamstonmartames not sure if relevant, but you can also input [LO]_Cam0 fixed value input - ground to wheel arch Z.
In my case it's 685 mm. I believe that difference between ground to wheel arch Z and ground to camera Z should be a fixed value - this is basically height from wheel arch to camera (155mm in my MK7).

Also notice Cam0 Changing default data - ground to Camera Z and Cam0 Changing default data - ground to wheel arch Z.
This might indicate that some parameters are provided by the ODIS guided function (based on VIN) and can be adjusted if required (for example you have modified suspension and the camera height is no longer where ODIS expects it to be).
If that's so, both ground to camera Z and ground to wheel arch Z should be provided by user if using OBDeleven or VCDS.

Notice that I'm just guessing! πŸ˜…
Hey

Just to ensure I've understood correctly, as you state [LO]_Cam0 fixed value input - ground to wheel arch Z both in this post and the previous post as being two different values with the same name?

Do you mean the following differences between fixed and changing:

MK 7.5 ESTATE
MK 7.5 GOLF R @ 1.5 METRES AWAY USING PAPER
ENG119197-ENG119060[LO]_Cam0 Changing default data Ground to Camera Z155
ENG119197-ENG119061[LO]_Cam0 Changing default data - Ground to wheel arch Z
ENG119197-ENG119062[LOI_Cam0 Fixed value input - Ground to Camera Z840820
ENG119197-ENG119063[LO]_Cam0 Fixed value input - Ground to wheel arch Z685
ENG119197-ENG119067[LO]_Cam0 height of marker8010
ENG119197-ENG119065[LO]_Cam0 X direction of marker red ribbon42854126
ENG119197-ENG119066[LO]_Cam0 Y direction of marker00

JettiGLI

Go Kart Newbie
One more thing for those with fresh camera that requires parameterization:
Most likely you can do it with CarScanner app (both for iOS and Android) and high-quality ELM327 adapter (like Carista).
As said before, my camera is used so it came parameterized and calibrated but I used CarScanner before with my MK7 to parameterize infotainment module.
What you need is the XML file from ODIS, open it and you will find something like:
Code:
<PARAMETER_DATA DIAGNOSTIC_ADDRESS="0x006C" START_ADDRESS="0x0001" PR_IDX="" ZDC_NAME="RVCHIGHLINE" ZDC_VERSION="0001" LOGIN="801129" LOGIN_IND="" DSD_TYPE="1" SESSIONNAME="" FILENAME="">0x00,0x30,0x32,0x33,0x31(...)</PARAMETER_DATA>

DIAGNOSTIC_ADDRESS is the module that you want to upload the dataset to.
START_ADDRESS is where the first byte of the dataset should be placed.
LOGIN is (I believe) security access. Strange that in the example above it's 6-digit.
And the 0x00,0x30,0x32,0x33,0x31(...) is the actual dataset. Copy it, remove all ,0x so you get a clean string like 0030323331(...), save it as .txt file and use it in CarScanner when prompted.
Can it be done with ODIS offline? Where do you find XML files

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Here's coding procedure:

And here's the write up:
Code:
Add new module to gateway installation list
19 β†’ adaptation β†’ Installation list β†’ specified installations - Camera System Rear View β†’ coded

Disable RVC-LOW and enable RVC-HIGH in MIB module
5F β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 19 β†’ Bit: 4 β†’ disable
5F β†’ adaptation β†’ Car Function List BAP Gen2 β†’ VPS_0x0B β†’ activated
5F β†’ adaptation β†’ Car Function List BAP Gen2 β†’ VPS_0x0B_msg_bus β†’ Comfort data bus

Enable camera support in parktronic module
Some cars will have module 0x76 available instead of 0x10.
10 β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 02 β†’ Bit: 4 β†’ enable
10 β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 02 β†’ Bit: 5 β†’ disable

Enable camera BAP communication
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 6 BAP for display data

Code vehicle and region
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 00 β†’ vehicle brand
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 01 β†’ vehicle class and generation
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 02 β†’ vehicle body type
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 03 β†’ region

Code vehicle optional equipment
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 0 Trailer Control Unit (J345) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 1 Optical Parking Sensors (OPS) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 2 ParkSteer Assist (PLA) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 5 DSG/Automatic Transmission installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 6 Swinging Logo installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 04  β†’ Bit 7 Electric Parking Brake (EPB) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 2 Trailer Towing Assistant (TTA/ARA) Mechanical installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 3 Trailer Towing Assistant (TTA/ARA) Optical installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 4 Tow Bar (AHK) installed
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 10  β†’ Bit 5 Rollback recognition

Enable all 4 view modes in camera module
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 07 β†’ Bit: 0 β†’ enable (standard 90Β° view)
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 07 β†’ Bit: 1 β†’ enable (parallel parking assist view)
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 07 β†’ Bit: 2 β†’ enable (towing view)
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 07 β†’ Bit: 4 β†’ enable (fish-eye/cross-traffic view)

Additional light when using camera
This will turn on welcome lights fitted under side mirrors to improve visibility. This feature was designed to 360 Area View (4 camera system), but you can use it with RVC High as well.
6C β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 08 β†’ Bit: 2 β†’ enable (manoeuvre light)
09 β†’ Security Access β†’ Code: 31347
09 β†’ Adaptation β†’ Aussenlicht_uebergreifend - Umfeldleuchte als Manoevrierleuchte β†’ enable

Hide parking sensor image overlay by default
Doesn't work in my MST2 Technisat with P0478T firmware
5F β†’ Long Coding β†’ Byte: 16 β†’ Bit: 7 β†’ enable (hide sensors overlay by default)
Hey, Can I ask which specific camera you used for the retrofit?

4M0980556A
5Q0980556B

Many Thanks

James

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Hey

Just to ensure I've understood correctly, as you state [LO]_Cam0 fixed value input - ground to wheel arch Z both in this post and the previous post as being two different values with the same name?

Do you mean the following differences between fixed and changing:

MK 7.5 ESTATE
MK 7.5 GOLF R @ 1.5 METRES AWAY USING PAPER
ENG119197-ENG119060[LO]_Cam0 Changing default data Ground to Camera Z155
ENG119197-ENG119061[LO]_Cam0 Changing default data - Ground to wheel arch Z
ENG119197-ENG119062[LOI_Cam0 Fixed value input - Ground to Camera Z840820
ENG119197-ENG119063[LO]_Cam0 Fixed value input - Ground to wheel arch Z685
ENG119197-ENG119067[LO]_Cam0 height of marker8010
ENG119197-ENG119065[LO]_Cam0 X direction of marker red ribbon42854126
ENG119197-ENG119066[LO]_Cam0 Y direction of marker00
hey @mr-fix Does the above look correct as it looked like you swapped the meaning between two different posts? :)

catatonicChimp

Car(s)
2016 Golf Mk7 R-Line
I originally brought a RVC-High camera from Aliexpress (with the VW Logo/Handle) , but it was the 4M0980556A, which is a bit shit as there is no compatible dataset and I am not sure if anyone has successfully calibrated it.
I just got a 5Q0980568B but when I pulled apart the Logo/Handle Camera mount to install it I discovered that the Aliexpress people just glued the camera in there, rather than a proper mount. (they used the same housing as the RVC-Low, but that is not directly compatible with an RVC-High camera.)

Thankfully I still have the original RVC-Low camera and logo/handle so I've modelled up an adapter plate to 3d print so you can stick a 5Q0980568B into the mount, you need to file one edge down a bit on the holder as the RVC-High Cam is a bit different

https://www.printables.com/model/270860-vw-golf-mk7-rear-view-camera-adapter

adriancttnc

Car(s)
VW CC 2012
Hi all. Bit of an odd question here. I got an VW CC 2012 and I've been given this emblem camera (5Q0 980 556) taken from a Golf. The emblem fits and all and the camera is said to be working.

Now I no longer have the original headunit as I've replaced it with a Pioneer SPH-DA250DAB.

My question is: Can I connect this camera to my headunit? I already have a shitty number plate camera, but would very much like this one installed. I'm not worried about anything else but the video signal. I don't care about the dynamic guidelines.

Is any of you able to help me with wiring instructions to achieve this please?
I would like to mention that I have:
- the camera itself with the short wiring.
- the motor that actions the camera
- the emblem where all of the above go in.

Many thanks in advance.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@adriancttnc :: Hi.

Your VW CC 2012 (Passat) is built on a PQ46 platform and the 5Q0 980 556 camera was designed for cars that have a MQB platform (like the Golf mk7/mk7.5).

The other problem is that MQB platform cars have 2 x types of reverse cameras; low-line and high-line. The former is a dumb device in the sense that it simply hangs off the "headunit" (which is called a "MIB") and it doesn't participate on the car's CAN network - whereas the latter is a fully fledged member on the CAN network (it's an actual control module with a full CAN address).

I guess that it would be more likely for the low-line camera to work on a car that has a different platform build - because it doesn't need to correctly communicate CAN based messages.

However, your 5Q0 980 556 camera is a high-line unit - so it needs to be spliced into the CAN high/low wires. The BIG problem with this is that PQ46 platform cars don't use the newer type UDS/ODX control modules - which means that they don't use CAN based protocols !!

Bottom line - doesn't look good!!

Don

Last edited:

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@adriancttnc :: Hi.

Your VW CC 2012 (Passat) is built on a PQ46 platform and the 5Q0 980 556 camera was designed for cars that have a MQB platform (like the Golf mk7/mk7.5).

The other problem is that MQB platform cars have 2 x types of reverse cameras; low-line and high-line. The former is a dumb device in the sense that it simply hangs off the "headunit" (which is called a "MIB") and it doesn't participate on the car's CAN network - whereas the latter is a fully fledged member on the CAN network (it's an actual control module with a full CAN address).

I guess that it would be more likely for the low-line camera to work on a car that has a different platform build - because it doesn't need to correctly communicate CAN based messages.

However, your 5Q0 980 556 camera is a high-line unit - so it needs to be spliced into the CAN high/low wires. The BIG problem with this is that PQ46 platform cars don't use the newer type UDS/ODX control modules - which means that they don't use CAN based protocols !!

Bottom line - doesn't look good!!

Don
Just on the the high line cameras specifically. Has anybody managed to calibrate/perform basic settings this successfully on a golf MQB platform 7/7.5? ....regardless of the intricacies of the board and lasers.

I've tried :

4M0980556A - Cannot display the camera feed neither has parameters.
5Q0980556B - Basic Settings can never be achieved which is making me think because it's

Yet to try:
5Q0980568A - Not sure on this one?
5Q0980568B - Not sure on this one?

Darkchina had theories it was a 5Q0980556B camera designed for Passats or Superbs and the only way others in some German forums had tried it was tricking ODIS by waiting for the connection to timeout and then manually selecting a different model of car when selecting project (a passat or superb) so the camera can be correctly found as J794 vs. J772 and also then move to basic settings.

They'd also thought that 5Q0980556 is the easiest variation to work with and B being the really tricky variant.

There is also another theory I have of using the 4M0980556A hardware with the 5Q0980556B software which might prove to be interesting, with an aim to use a Passat B8 (VW48X) project file on ODIS instead of a golf 7.5 one (VW37X).

Last edited:

shotser

Car(s)
Mk 7 Estate Lounge
Has anyone upgraded from a lowline to a highline camera successfully? I am thinking of doing it as I am installing a tow-bar so will be dismantling the care anyway. Thanks

Kushdaiin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R, MK7 GSW SEL
I'm getting ready to do the installation of the Highline RVC on my MK7 NA Golf R and trying to figure out where everyone is grabbing +12V from exactly. The OEM location would be to add a fuse to SC18 in the Fuse Panel below the dash, but I already have a fuse in that location. The length of the cabling in the kit I received from carsystems would suggest that they intend for the end user to tap the power in the back of the 5F module as it is roughly the same length as the CANBUS cabling (maybe not the best assumption). Looking at the wiring diagrams seems to suggest that there is a coupling point in the rear hatch that connects to SC18 but I haven't been able to locate it yet. Using reverse light power seems to be inappropriate as I was under the impression that the highline camera continues to operate up to 10 mph and of course by that time the reverse light would have been turned off. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You can tap into the wire whatever wire is coming from SC18 (and change the fuse accordingly). Lots of things share fuses.

Rear lid coupling point THK is shown on the picture below... no guarantee (from me) that you'll have the 12V from SC18 at pin 3, but hopefully you get lucky.
1680725811103.png