GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Isn't it odd what a new MAF sensor can do?

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I just replaced my MAF sensor, this is the fourth, with a Hitachi MAF0052.
The first two genuine VW (likely made by Bosch) were replaced for mass air data being reported much lower than normal...which is 270 to 280 g/s in 3rd and 4th gears near redline. Those two dropped into the range of 220 to 230 g/s. When the second MAF failed, I suspected the oiled filter on my Neuspeed intake had caused this to those first two sensors. So I switched to a DryFlow AEM filter (made by K&N) when the 3rd VW MAF was installed, and the 3rd lasted a long time...probably since 2104 (though it had a manufacture data on it of 2011). I received the Hitachi (4th MAF) and noticed they scratched off the OE VWAG logo and it's VW part number. This is typical for OEM suppliers selling parts themselves. However, it did arrive in a Hitachi box. But still, always cautious about orders from Amazon sellers.

Why I got this 4th MAF was only due to fuel mileage and the cost of the Hitachi being just $113 usd, and I still may replace the B1S1 O2 sensor. I almost opted for the FCP Euro; Hitachi sensor at a cost of $142, just for their lifetime warranty. With most everything being replaced over the past two years, the fuel mileage was still a task to keep it over 26 mpg. Having to drive with a very light throttle...and no fun. Since replacing the MAF earlier this week, the mpg has gone from 26.8 to 28.8 in just three trips into town; going to the same places while making the same stops, while driving no differently. Each end of town is three to eight miles from home. I neglected to check the total miles it has stored in MFD/2, where it gets its mpg average from, but I haven't reset the MFD/2 since June's oil change. So it is increasing rather quickly. Eventually, I want to check the mass air data and will probably have a look at its fuel trims for any changes.

Just wanted to post this for those who know: their air inlet system is sealed, all hardware is fresh and functioning well, timing chain and VVT are still working well within spec....and still nothing else can be found to explain why your mpg suffers.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
MFD/2 average mpg is now 29.2 mpg. Still waiting to put more miles on it before having a look at its LTFT values.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Update Aug. 5, 2022: its MFD/2 (since a reset in June) - MPG is holding at 29.7 mpg (U.S. gallon)....35.6 mpg (Imperial gallon-UK).
It's pretty good considering how tough it was to maintain an average of 25 mpg (30 miles/Imp. gal.) previously.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
So.........
I let it go one year with the Hitachi MAF and ended the year with an average of 29.3 mpg (US)/35.2 mpg (IMP). But throughout the last year, I've noticed a lull during light acceleration...felt as though it were waiting on something. I meant to log the MAF data during a quick snap of the throttle to redline, and its max mass air. But things came up recently and so I just bought another genuine MAF for $270usd; which turns out to also be a Hitachi from GB. Exact markings except for VWAG and its PN were removed from the Hitachi bought last year. Also, sometimes when returning from town I wouldn't quite be at near 29.3 mpg and I would drive a bit extra just to raise the mpg to its average. I installed the new genuine MAF and drove to town a handful of times now, making my normal stops. Already feels better during those light throttle situations and it's made 31.4 to 31.6 mpg for each of those trips. So we'll see if the mpg improves even more.

Last edited: