GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

B4 vs B6 Bilstein (Damptronic)

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I owned my '16 GTI for the first 1.5 years with stock DCC set up, 25mm rear sway and Azenis 660 tires. It under steered so bad, I was blowing turns. That's why I put the neuspeed race springs on in January. That got me to 1.3 neg cam front and solved most of the under steer.
Since you have a bigger front sway/LCAs and I don't, I can't make a comparison to what I have.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm on B4 Damptronics. Opinion seemed to be that B6 Damptronics took every mode 1 step up...

B6 Comfort = VW Normal
B6 Normal = VW Sport
B6 Sport = Better than VW Sport, stiffer I assume

Comfort is the most important mode to me so that was a no-go.

Later cars (not Mk7/7.5 Golfs) with DCC that have the slider can actually go softer than Comfort (which I would use) and stiffer than Sport (which I would never use). Getting this working on an MK7 is a completely different topic here's what the Individual screen would look like...
Screenshot_20220610-212101~2.png

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I've seen that slider control on other models and know of the DSC Sport controller which I'm not interested in (too $$), although having true control over comp/rebound would be great.
I can tell the stock DCC dampers are under-damped in low speed compression and rebound. The B4 have better valving. Perhaps B4/stock springs with Eurosport plates will be a good set-up as I would like to retain the cush of comfort but with good rebound damping. Our roads in Oakland/Marin are bad.
Also-I suspect the LCAs/ front sway you have will be needed.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I've never ran or took a ride in a car with stock DCC so I don't have a point of comparison to that. But the B4 Damptronics/OEM spring combo feels better to me than anything I had previously.

It's taken me more than 5 years to put 50,000 miles on my car and my commute is now 1/6 as long as it used to be. It could be 2030 by the time I need new shocks/struts/springs, lol. But I will be getting exactly what I have now.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I've seen that slider control on other models and know of the DSC Sport controller which I'm not interested in (too $$), although having true control over comp/rebound would be great.
I can tell the stock DCC dampers are under-damped in low speed compression and rebound. The B4 have better valving. Perhaps B4/stock springs with Eurosport plates will be a good set-up as I would like to retain the cush of comfort but with good rebound damping. Our roads in Oakland/Marin are bad.
Also-I suspect the LCAs/ front sway you have will be needed.
FWIW my controller is up for sale. Decent amount cheaper than new from DSC.

As far as springs/shocks, keep in mind both big sway bars and B4/B6 are designed with stock spring rates in mind. The setup you described would probably be pretty good.

vt_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn PP
I'm on B4 Damptronics. Opinion seemed to be that B6 Damptronics took every mode 1 step up...

B6 Comfort = VW Normal
B6 Normal = VW Sport
B6 Sport = Better than VW Sport, stiffer I assume

Comfort is the most important mode to me so that was a no-go.

Later cars (not Mk7/7.5 Golfs) with DCC that have the slider can actually go softer than Comfort (which I would use) and stiffer than Sport (which I would never use). Getting this working on an MK7 is a completely different topic here's what the Individual screen would look like...
View attachment 254941

Does this mean that mk7.5 cars actually have a different DCC controller than mk7s? Anyone know whether these can be swapped? I would be interested in the additional adjustability at both ends of the scale but I have a 2016.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Does this mean that mk7.5 cars actually have a different DCC controller than mk7s? Anyone know whether these can be swapped? I would be interested in the additional adjustability at both ends of the scale but I have a 2016.

I'm not aware of any Golf/variant that came with the 15 setting slider, 7 or 7.5. Afaik the 7.5 has the same DCC module that's in the 7. It's also the same module (hardware) that's in Passat, Arteon, Atlas, Tiguan, etc.

One difference is in the software, Version A, B or C. I suppose some early MK7s might have software A, but version B is what I typically see when people post a scan. I'm not aware of version C on any Mk7/7.5 Golf.

The other difference is the DCC dataset. The data set "configures" the module for whatever car it's in. Presumably this accounts for things like overall weight, weight distribution, and probably some overall system behavior. For example I would expect the Passat in Sport is not as firm as a GTI in Sport.

In any case, you need to have a data set that matches the software version of the DCC module. So if you're DCC module is version B then you need to load a data set for version B.

However... The data set does not actually have to match your car. I'm now running software C on the DCC module in my Golf. But since software version C is not available on any Golf (to my knowledge) I'm running the data set from an Arteon. Passat is probably closer in weight but the Arteon might be softer (read more Cadillac like, haha) on the soft end.

Besides getting software version C and the data set of your choosing loaded you also need to modify driving profile data set. This is a data set in the Gateway that configures your driving profile settings. Thanks to some excellent work by @Chillout It is possible to customize this data set, assuming you have a Gateway with late enough software.

I show a summarized version of this, and include links to the relevant info, in my what did you do today post.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I got my B6's installed on Monday and alignment done yesterday. Must say without the alignment / DCC re-calibration (got this all done at the dealership since the DCC re-calibration comes with the alignment), the car drives like garbage lol. After spending the money I was so nervous that I made a terrible decision.

HOWEVER, after the alignment and DCC re-calibration, it definitely is fun.

Running Custom setting with Race set on everything but DCC (Normal), I think this is the best all arounder. I found cruising around it was fine, and then when the roundabouts came it was incredibly responsive, like I was glued to the road with 0 drama.

I want to drive around a bit more on DCC Race mode, but I think it's the MSS Springs which optimize the Normal and Race OEM shocks, now seems to throw off Race mode. Having a slider to dial things in a bit more would probably be the best when you go.

Suspension is such a PITA to get dialed in properly, especially getting the spring rate / dampening straightened out

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I got my B6's installed on Monday and alignment done yesterday. Must say without the alignment / DCC re-calibration (got this all done at the dealership since the DCC re-calibration comes with the alignment), the car drives like garbage lol. After spending the money I was so nervous that I made a terrible decision.

HOWEVER, after the alignment and DCC re-calibration, it definitely is fun.

Running Custom setting with Race set on everything but DCC (Normal), I think this is the best all arounder. I found cruising around it was fine, and then when the roundabouts came it was incredibly responsive, like I was glued to the road with 0 drama.

I want to drive around a bit more on DCC Race mode, but I think it's the MSS Springs which optimize the Normal and Race OEM shocks, now seems to throw off Race mode. Having a slider to dial things in a bit more would probably be the best when you go.

Suspension is such a PITA to get dialed in properly, especially getting the spring rate / dampening straightened out
You're on lower springs? How much drop? I want to go B6/stock springs/eurosport camber plates.

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I was about to pull the trigger on the B6's as I am able to get 30% off right now which I am pretty excited for. However, from reading posts, is it what I want?
I want to maintain Damptronic, as I do some highway and like the comfort of Normal mode, even Eco / Comfort at times when I am locked in with ACC and cruising for a couple hours. I do enjoy driving most of the time in Race mode around town, and Normal feels fine in winter time.

Meanwhile, I do find Race with the OEM's are as stiff as I would want, car handles fantastic and I am not sure if I want to go stiffer which I believe from reading the B6's do.

That said, is there a performance upgrade (besides the car feeling better without blown shocks / struts) with the B4's?

Some said the general Bilstein technology is better then OEM, so you will have a much nicer ride with the B4's.

Reading other reviews, it seems like go with the B6's and don't regret it, Eco / Comfort I didn't hear anything definitive but I feel like Normal becomes more like Race, and Race is a new level of fun.

Hard to find a comparison, but thought I would get some feedback, especially after some have put miles on their setups
Can I get in on the 30% off deal?

RudyH

Go Kart Champion

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I think after putting on the mileage this weekend, something is loose in the passenger side over bumps or dips I hear a creaking noise almost. I'm not entirely sure if its the mounting hardware, so hoping to look at it next weekend.

That said, I feel like the B4's are the better option tbh, unless you are building a track car.
I prefer the car in Race mode always, except now the DCC. This forces me to always use 'Custom' settings. So I am constantly doing the extra clicks to change DCC from Normal (old Race) to Comfort (old Normal).

I never used Comfort before though, so that was my justification for going with the B6's. I feel like the new 'Race' is good at higher speeds which get you in trouble in the city, so I am almost always in either Comfort or Normal mode now when travelling with my wife within the city.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I'm going to get rid of my B16 Damptronics as soon as the B4's become available. Current ETA is September 2022. I'm done with this coilovers. I feel the same way you feel about your B6's, probably a tick or two more. There is no comfort in "Comfort Mode".

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
I'm going to get rid of my B16 Damptronics as soon as the B4's become available. Current ETA is September 2022. I'm done with this coilovers. I feel the same way you feel about your B6's, probably a tick or two more. There is no comfort in "Comfort Mode".
I hear ya, sometimes I think we research parts so much that we start over thinking things. I always try to get my brakes and suspension / chassis to a 'street / track' set-up, but I think the B6's over shoot that target a bit towards track. I think especially suspension, it's a bit more complicated to fiddle with to get a great ride since I spend 95+% of the time daily driving it.

I doubt I will go back to B4's after getting the B6's, but I think the next time I want to build and play with a car, skipping on adjustable springs and sticking with Eibach or H&R fixed springs.