GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear license plate

66RBS

Car(s)
2003 Jag. XK8
Added a rear license plate frame to my newly acquired Mk7

Noticed it just uses 2 self tapping screws thru the plastic bumper. How cheap is that. You would have thought VW would have put some threaded inserts here for a more durable attachment

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion

Noticed it just uses 2 self tapping screws thru the plastic bumper. How cheap is that. You would have thought VW would have put some threaded inserts here for a more durable attachment
It's a complaint of mine as well. Previous cars all had pre-located pads or inserts which were threaded and accepted whatever standard screw they took. Handy and factory. My Volvo had a bracket located similarly but the license plate screwed on to the bracket arms and was real clean. My Golf R is as you noted - screws into plastic wherever the dealer decided to screw. Problem is the goofball located the plate all the way up and that's where they screwed so, if I try and put just about any frame around it, the plate and its holes are now too low to match the holes and I'd have to move the plate farther down to locate new holes for the screws. So basically I'm f'd and can only put the absolute thinnest frame around the plate. No fancy schmancy ones.

One day I'll have to make my own metal Volvo-like bracket that attaches to the existing holes and locate the plate down so I can use better looking frames.

QuasiAutomotive

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE
It's a complaint of mine as well. Previous cars all had pre-located pads or inserts which were threaded and accepted whatever standard screw they took. Handy and factory. My Volvo had a bracket located similarly but the license plate screwed on to the bracket arms and was real clean. My Golf R is as you noted - screws into plastic wherever the dealer decided to screw. Problem is the goofball located the plate all the way up and that's where they screwed so, if I try and put just about any frame around it, the plate and its holes are now too low to match the holes and I'd have to move the plate farther down to locate new holes for the screws. So basically I'm f'd and can only put the absolute thinnest frame around the plate. No fancy schmancy ones.

One day I'll have to make my own metal Volvo-like bracket that attaches to the existing holes and locate the plate down so I can use better looking frames.

Dunno if it interests either of you (or anyone for that matter), but I have an OEM frameless bracket. It's two screws into the bumper and the plate attaches to it with four screws. I bought some black titanium ones just for the little details.

https://www.shopdap.com/bracket-266.html

PXL_20220727_003305366.jpg

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7

Yep, drilled that out, installed 2 nutserts and machined screws on mine.