GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Engine Oil Temp vs. Oil Temp

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
So I just got finished installing my new VADpro MFD38 display and it has been working great. Except I noticed the Oil Temp it was reporting was higher than the temp reported by both my AccessPort and the VW MFI.

Looking around through the AccessPort, I noticed there are two different temperature monitors for oil: Oil Temperature and Engine Oil Temperature.
Oil Temperature is the same one used by the VW MFI. Engine Oil Temp is the one my VADpro is using to report the oil temperature.

The Engine Oil Temp readings follow the Oil Temp readings perfectly to about 170 degrees, at which point the Engine Oil Temp climbs higher faster. Once the temperatures level out driving, the Oil Temp is around 207-212 while the Engine Oil Temp is around 230-235

So, what is the difference between the two values? As in, where is each sensor located and what is the correlation?

Trying to figure out if there is a temp range I can use for the Engine Oil Temp to correlate with normal Oil Temp.

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
ECU probably uses them for different things in its calculations.
I guess I'm more curious as how I can use the Engine Oil Temp being reported by the VADpro?

Up until now, I've gone by recommendations as to what temp the oil should be at before hard driving, good temp ranges when driving hard, etc and these were all based off the Oil Temp sensor (same one VW uses/reports on the MFI).

But with the new sensor, didn't know if people had insight on how to read the values/what ranges mean what (safe ranges, up to temp range for driving hard, etc)

dlaunde

Go Kart Newbie
Well if they are both the same up to 170 you are fine. 170 degrees is plenty warm enough to beat on the car.
Yea that part I figured, the last thing is how high would too high be for the Engine Oil value.
It seems this is a sensor/value no one has ever given much data or thought to. I didn't even know it existed til now.