GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Direct Turbocharger Replacement System

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Believe me, APR will also offer (or at least attempt to offer) an OTS tune for this specific turbo with APR's own downpipe and APR's fueling upgrades over time.
Why should we?

APR has stated countless times they will not offer a downpipe or tune for a aftermarket downpipe. Any aftermarket downpipe can't meet EPA compliance.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Why should we?

APR has stated countless times they will not offer a downpipe or tune for a aftermarket downpipe. Any aftermarket downpipe can't meet EPA compliance.
I thought GESI cats with the EPA engraving would pass truth be told. Unitronic is coming out with EPA-compliant downpipes using GESI cats (or at least, I saw a picture on Instagram with a GESI-catted downpipe for the B9 platform lol).

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
I thought GESI cats with the EPA engraving would pass truth be told. Unitronic is coming out with EPA-compliant downpipes using GESI cats (or at least, I saw a picture on Instagram with a GESI-catted downpipe for the B9 platform lol).
I may be remembering incorrectly but I'm pretty sure the downpipe has to be certified with cat for it to be EPA legal.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
I may be remembering incorrectly but I'm pretty sure the downpipe has to be certified with cat for it to be EPA legal.
No worries. It's something I'm actively researching, so any info I can get will help lol.

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Put the pipe/bong down or the keyboard down… pick one and avoid the other for the time being😴
After looking through this thread, I realize I can only read like 2 sentences max at a time.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

To be honest, I thought the rule was any modifications to the emissions system were against the law.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I agree, but without a intercooler, APR won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
@riceburner any idea of what your IAT's were for these dragy runs?
No clue, probably too hot of iats. Oddly enough though if you shave a half second off my 60' then my runs are close to wgat you hit at the track

timmyturbo

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Audi S3
EPA documentation on catalytic converters
This is all you really need to know. The TLDR is replacing a working OE catalytic converter is illegal, replacing a defective cat isn't as easy as just slapping one in there and going on your way. @Arin@APR even stated in this thread that they worked with GESI (Global Emmissions Systems Inc) to show an aftermarket performance catalytic converter could meet the emissions specs, CARB and EPA said, nope. Do people realize GESI is a company that makes catalytic converters, not some magic catalytic converter that solves all the problems. They make high performance EPA compliant cats and high performance non compliant cats. There are other companies that do the same. Yes, you could use one of the compliant cats to not get a CEL, still technically not legal. So if you don't have emmissions in your state/county then this would be a good way to go since it's getting harder to just suppress the CEL. Other states that just do a scan of the OBD11 are supposed to look for OE cats, I think for the most part the dude doing the test doesn't and just checks the box, so it's a gamble. I think larger manufacturers of aftermarket catted downpipes are going to stop selling them altogether (which is already happening), then slowly other smaller makers will also stop. Or pay $2K for your bespoke catted downpipe with a catalytic converter that won't throw a CEL, but still technically be illegal from a federal standpoint.

Last edited:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Since it looks like ownership of APR (via Driven Performance Brands) has changed hands from Sentinel Capital Partners to Brookside Capital Partners (both are PE firms) recently, there is a target window of 3-5 years for the new buyer to double or triple their money at exit. This is essentially how the PE world works.

We took the company public under Sentinal, so there's no more buying/selling. You can buy shares on the NYSE: $hlly

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
We took the company public under Sentinal, so there's no more buying/selling. You can buy shares on the NYSE: $hlly

Nice try.

$hlly = shilly = shill

coincidence-i-think-not.gif

🤣🤣

gte718h

Go Kart Newbie

OK. I read about Holley going public while back but completely forgot about it. Increased corporate risk management scrutiny after going public... that makes so much sense now. Thanks for that additional information. I stand corrected about APR re-introducing the downpipe in the short term. That's got to hurt when the corporate office nixes a decent portion of your revenue stream.

Wonder what the long term distribution model will be like... full on Dinan model or current model of relying on a mix of APR dealers and VW/Audi dealerships?