GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So I went to Nürburgring Nordschlefe and raced some golfs

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
It was a bit random but my girl and I decided to head out to Germany for our first post-covid trip. I have been practicing the Nordschcliefe since I was in high school, doing 2 laps of Gran Turismo before bed every night, so it was definitely a dream come true to go out and drive it in real life.

Getting to Nurburg, immediately noticeable was the great examples of cars like this Clubsport S, and mk 3 to 8, and countless p-cars and m-cars. So much eye candy.

I rented a Mk7.0 that was modified by a reputable shop (RSR) for this exact purpose. It's basically a stage 2 golf R with a miltek exhaust, Cup 2 tires, Alcon brakes, KW V3 Coilovers tuned for Nür, racing seats and a cage.

Initially hoping to drive and experience a GT4RS, but due to my jet lag and not having gotten any sleep on my 12 hr flight, I decided to play it safe and drive a car that I'm familiar with and love, rather than having to learn the car and also learn the track at the same time.

This blue Revo Golf also has a bit more mods to help me decide if I want to go full blown modding my own Mk7.5 golf.

Here are my highlights:

First time seeing a Clubsport S in person.
IMG_5468.jpeg

Following and then somehow managed to pass another local modded white clubsport s,
racetracker_16971325_258640.jpeg

Got some airtime here in laps 3 and 4 on some overcrest near Sprunghügel section
IMG_5604.jpeg

This suspension was setup super nice, you can see that the two inner tires are about evenly lifting up while outside wheels are firmly planted. This isn't doing the 3wheel turns like I've seen a lot of local golfs in my area do. I checked the tire wear after my 1st warmup lap and then again after the 3 hotter laps and the tire wear was much more even front to rear than my own golf. RSR came in clutch and provided brand new Cup 2's on my 4 laps out.
racetracker_16969931_258643.jpeg

Final stretch, last turn! Late apex it and got it up to 150 MPH shortly after this turn. This is much quicker than my stock Mk7.5.
racetracker_16973061_258645.jpeg

Some additional photos of the Gran Prix track and P1 race starting position on the Nür GP layout!

IMG_5396.jpeg IMG_5386.jpegIMG_5513.jpegIMG_5408.jpeg

It was a very difficult track especially because there were amazing drivers in P cars blowing by me every 30 seconds with a 50mph delta... Most of the p Cars I saw were GT cars.
IMG_6694.jpeg

Some of the other hot hatches were also extremely fast. The compression and overcrests were totally unexpected as Gran Turismo did not prepare me for that. With the KW Coilovers, I felt every one of the bumps and unevenness in the road. I was surprised that the Nür tune of suspension had so little travel and compliance. I was getting butterflies in my stomach from the airtime, and then again compressed deep into my seat from the landing and steep angle changes in the vehicle pitch.

The Caracciola-Karussell sections were a lot more slanted and bumpier than I had imagined. It was a challenge to go fast in as I feel an extreme level of cornering grip that I've never felt elsewhere, compressing me into the racing seat while a violent shaking happens beneath the cabin as it is unsmooth and I fear for my life getting slung out and back to the flat part of the track.

All-in-all, I highly recommend anyone who haven't yet tried it to get out there. It really made me appreciate our golfs a lot more and I have a renewed passion to mod it.

Last edited:

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Congrats on your dreams having come true, mate. :cool: The RSR cars are reference for Ring rentals for sure.
Btw., if you're into Golfs on Nordschleife you should definitely follow my thread about nothing else... ;)

maodys Golf TCR on NoS

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
Congrats on your dreams having come true, mate. :cool: The RSR cars are reference for Ring rentals for sure.
Btw., if you're into Golfs on Nordschleife you should definitely follow my thread about nothing else... ;)

maodys Golf TCR on NoS
Wow, glad to see that there are locals of the ring on here too! I mostly didn't expect this as I haven not seen many German posts but will definitely following your thread!

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
If anything will work I'll meet @TheBlondeFella next Saturday @ The Ring. Maybe we can do a lap together and post the vid in my little NoS thread...