GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
What do you have done to your car?
Almost nothing. It is a PP with Jb4 and Petro94 plus some e98 blended to e30 and the drop in filter snowscreen mod.

Edit: but tires are literally the rubber that meets the road. No need for coilovers, thick swaybars, big brake kits and agonizing over which TIP to buy if your not going to max out on grip. For me, in the summer, wet grip is most important of all. Winter? Deep snow control and ice traction.

I definitely miss my raised and modded mk4 tdi for the worst winter weather. The winter war wagon had to go last summer.

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
I'll be riding on DWS06 until I die.
From the same design era, the Continental ExtremeContact DW were pretty good, as were the Continental ExtremeWinterContact. I used them both. Liked them both- Conti winters are good in wet and dry, as well as winter, which leads you to wear them later into the season than you should- I'm using a set of Conti Vikingprocontact , and that's true of these as well.

Upside to the dws and other all seasons is they last. I have 108000kms on the car. (67500 miles) I'm on my third set of summers and contemplating a third set of winters this year. I drive like an asshat most of the time, so I sort of eat tires while getting 25 mpg. I mean, I can get this car to around 40mpg, but that's boring.

cb1111

I run DWS06 during better weather and Vikings in the winter - but that's on two Alltracks where I need as close to 24x7 mobility regardless of weather.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I felt that first hand today. My street tires are FK510's, which are very grippy, but can't hold stage 1 power.

My buddy's protuned IS38 on PS4S put the power down no problem.
Didn't realize there's that much difference. I'm always defending then as having 90% of the performance for 60% of the price. But do you think they're not that close

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
As someone who has owned and driven both on the same GTI- they're not 90%.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I felt that first hand today. My street tires are FK510's, which are very grippy, but can't hold stage 1 power.

My buddy's protuned IS38 on PS4S put the power down no problem.

His tires are better, but the power curve being pushed right (towards the top end) also plays a big part in putting power down.

Proper engine & transmission mounts, as well as LCA bushings are the next step in line for avoiding wheel spin.

Didn't realize there's that much difference. I'm always defending then as having 90% of the performance for 60% of the price. But do you think they're not that close

Last edited:

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
All these mods and people using all season tires. There's a reason everyone makes fun of vw people...
Wait.... so a $4000 suspension with $4500 magnesium BBS racing wheels wrapped in 335/15/r21 Chaoyang 976 treadwear all seasons isn't cool?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'd like to add drilled rotors to the list of mods you're wasting money on. Go blanks or slotted.

Slotted accomplishes the the same thing as drilled, without the cracks.

Crack is bad, mkay.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
The amount of people willing to spend 2k on intake, tips, outlets, muffler deletes, and other pipes, $2500 on a BBK, etc... then putting "Good enough all season tires" is disheartening.

Better tires are the best money you can spend on almost any car.
I get the point though I ride on 195/65r15 all seasons.until I switch to 200tw tires for ax events. I don't mind a comfortable normal car for everday.