GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DTR6054 Real World Results and Reviews

Patrykd07

Autocross Champion
Hello,

I wanted to make a sticky thread with some real world user experiences and results on the popular new APR emissions legal turbo kit, the DTR6054. This thread hopefully summarizes turbo kit data and peoples experiences without having to scroll through 200 pages on the official thread. Please post up your results in a similar format for anyone wanting some more data and information on this kit!

I will start with my car and my experiences as well as data. (Yes its an R but I want to try and include everyone for a good summary)

2015 Golf R Launch Edition #109 (early car.. not sure if it makes a difference anywhere)
-APR DTR 6054 HPFP & LPFP kit
-Stage 3 DTR Tune v 1.1.1 93 Octane
-DSG APR stage 3 TCU tune
-Unitronic IC
-Unitronic carbon intake
-APR redtop coils
-APR intercooler piping
-NGK-R7437-9 plugs gapped to 0.024

Previously:
-Unitronic stage 2 Tune
-Unitronic Downpipe
-Unitronic IC
-Unitronic carbon intake

-----------------My initial review coming from stage 2:-----------------

I tried to do everything APR recommended for the DTR kit. In my R, I noticed a definite jump from my Unitronic stage 2 tune. The whole powerband has definitely shifted up, but not in a bad way. The powerband still feels "full" from the added torque up top, and it's fun to rev it out to get there. In my s550 mustang, I put a Shelby gt350 intake manifold in it. It also raised the powerband and let the car rev out to 8200rpm, but it lost tq, so even though the car revved forever, it didn't feel as punchy. It actually made it feel kind of boring day to day, because realistically you're not screaming past 5k rpm everywhere, and anything under that it felt pretty lack luster. Honestly felt like a Honda with VTEC, but it still dynod at 440whp. So numbers aren't everything. Luckily this wasn't the case for the DTR at all. I dig it.

Where the IS38 would start dropping off around 6k rpm this thing keeps going. Around 4k rpm it's amazing how much it comes alive. In everyday RPM ranges, it's not as laggy as I expected it to be at all. I've driven my buddies "big turbo" STM evo on the street before, and its a dog around town unless you're really working the revs. I drove around quite a bit yesterday, and in traffic or just cruising around it honestly felt similar to the IS38 just without the crazy punchiness under 3k if you really got on it. Not a big deal just gotta rev it out some more. For being a "big turbo" tune, I cannot believe how smooth it is. APR really did a great job on the drivability on this tune, for both the ECU and TCU. I've had bad tunes before that make the gas pedal feel like a on off switch.. this ain't it one bit.

As far as the noise is concerned, yes if you have your windows down, you can definitely hear the turbo spooling, I think it sounds great. But if it gets annoying, once you roll the windows up you don't hear it at all. Perfect for me. Overall, I feel pretty happy with the kit. The car honestly feels great, the power feels much more controlled for a autox/road course scenario and its got plenty more potential with e85.

-----------------Couple install tips:-----------------

I removed the oil drain while the turbo was still in the car, I also put the new one in with the turbo was in the car. Absolutely awful to do. Putting the line back is done entirely by feel, and I had to use my phone camera to video if the bolt hole was lined up with the hole on the oil drain. I also couldn't get the bolt started either, no matter what I did, it just wouldn't thread. Until I had a stroke of genius and used a 2 foot 1/4 extension, went under the car between the downpipe and the subframe, aimed up at the bolt hole and carefully fished in the bolt and started wrenching while applying pressure on the bolt. By some miracle, it worked perfectly. So if anyone is struggling with this, highly highly recommend this method if you choose to remove the oil drain with the turbo still in the car.

I made sure the wastegate rod was exactly the same length as it was on the IS38, I still had to adjust it after the install was said and done. When I checked it, it was at 3.2v instead of the 3.5-3.9 range it was supposed to be in. This wasn't super hard to adjust and there's a video from shopDap on it.
Here are some docs on how to check this and fix it.
http://mygolfmk7.com/2019/08/wastegate-first-adaptation-charge-pressure-actuator-p2563/
https://www.goapr.com/blog/post/is38_wastegate_settings/

Once installed and going, my IAT's were sky high, considering it was 63 out, my IAT's were at about 115-125F. This turned out to be to the USP boost tap I installed that sandwiches between the manifold and the MAP sensor. I ordered the APR boost tap instead installed it and issue is fixed.

-----------------Dyno Results:-----------------

Made 399.3whp 360wtq SAE corrected
1653755418178.png

-----------------Track results 1/8th mile runs:-----------------
*Full disclosure, may have had a boost leak during my track runs, will be redoing them after getting everything sorted.*
1653755497235.png

1653755509892.png

1653755524510.jpeg

Compared to stage 2:
1653755546336.png

Compared to stage 1:
1653756239257.png

-----------------Summary:-----------------

-If you're coming from a IS20 setup(such as the GTI), regardless if you have a downpipe or not, this turbo kit is a fantastic upgrade, especially when you're limited by emissions regulations in your state. It's really great value.

-If you're coming from a stock downpipe stage 1 setup with the IS38(golf R), the DTR is still a great improvement, equivalent to stage 2 downpipe IS38 levels, but still retraining emissions.

-If you have a stage 2 setup IS38, such as myself, depending how aggressive your tune was, you may need to spring for the fueling version of the DTR kit to see an improvement, but it will be a much smaller jump, you'll mostly notice the biggest change in top end performance. This may change on e85 but I haven't tested it yet.

Salami

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5R
Thanks for starting the thread and most importantly for all of the details, especially about what your car has on it.

Hopefully others that will follow will at a minimum give exact details to the mods that were installed both before and after the kit to give us a better idea on what to expect with the variations of the kit.

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
APR DTR6054 Turbo Kit Initial Review (300 miles)

Platform:

- 2015 GTI SE DSG (Non-Performance Pack), 44K miles

Modifications – Current:

- APR DTR6054 Turbo Kit
- APR Stage 3 DTR6054 ECU Tune – 93 Octane, AWD file
- APR DTR6054 TCU Tune
- IE FDS Intercooler V2
- All others same as below

Modifications – Previous:

- APR Stage 1 ECU Tune – 93 Octane
- APR TCU Tune
- AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter
- 034 Dogbone Insert
- Performance Pack Brakes (front/rear)
- Stoptech Slotted Rotors
- EBC Redstuff Pads
- H&R Rear Sway Bar, 26mm
- SuperPro Rear Endlinks
- Neuspeed RSE10, 18x8.5 et45
- Michelin PS4S, 245/40/18

ECU Tune:

- Can feel a significant increase in overall speed from 4k to redline, 120mph arrives far too quick
- Power delivery feels almost OEM until it hits 6k rpm and just wants to keep going – you’d think power would fall off, but it doesn’t
- Not laggy down low per say, but noticeably less low-end torque
- Stage 1 low-end torque was exciting because it was somewhat unpredictable
- Stage 3 high-end power, on the other hand, is predictable and avoidable (if not desired)
- I personally do not miss the “punch” of low-end torque – now when I want my thrills it is fully intentional

TCU Tune:

- Minimal wheelspin in lower gears, even with ESC off
- Noticeably less aggressive downshifts in sport-auto. Where the previous TCU tune would work hard to keep you in the powerband, it seems unclear where the DTR TCU tune wants to be
- Sport-auto upshifts have been revised to the increased redline and power is delivered all the way to the top
- I’m not terribly concerned with the somewhat sparse downshifts in sport-auto as I spend most of my time in manual mode for spirited driving or standard auto around town. But if you’re doing a 1/4 mile pass sport-auto seems perfectly competent, and will likely next the best times.
- As for manual mode, I personally do not find the occasional quick down shift to get into the powerband annoying at all – it’s engaging but not cumbersome

Sound/Heat:

- Turbo noise is barely audible in car with the radio off – honestly the sound was so faint, I thought it was coming from a car next to me
- Noise is more noticeable with windows down but far from annoying
- Note – I have OEM roof rack with a Yakima fairing, so I may already be accustomed to a fair amount of wind noise. It’s entirely possible the wind noise is just drowning out the turbo
- No noticeable increase in heat inside the cabin during normal daily driving, but I do notice some radiant heat after an hour or 2 of spirited driving (similar to having the heat on medium blowing at a low setting)

Summary:

- Solid performance upgrade from Stage 1 – DTR definitely feels significantly faster all around
- Power feels predictable and composed, but the order of magnitude increase in speed and acceleration keep it far from being boring
- Summer tires still hold grip fairly well under hard acceleration
- I hope to get to the track for some official 1/4 mile passes in the coming weeks and will post the time slips here

73EEBD01-268B-43C4-9AA0-27B5540D1032.jpeg

Attachments

• AD5A43A9-D521-4FB3-83DF-87B3D25BF218.jpeg
    AD5A43A9-D521-4FB3-83DF-87B3D25BF218.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 236
  • 544737C4-EA99-4B37-8DFF-EDC384C3A586.jpeg
    544737C4-EA99-4B37-8DFF-EDC384C3A586.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 269
  • 310B235B-518B-48E8-AECE-16DD0F296E6F.jpeg
    310B235B-518B-48E8-AECE-16DD0F296E6F.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 331
Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Still loving it? Great review. Thank you!
Now that I’ve done some extensive roll racing research, I can say the lag is def real. I mean the DTR still dusts stage 1, but unless you’re at 5.5k rpm you’re going to find yourself chasing the more formidable competition down (modded V8s, twin turbos, basically anyone with similar but more instant power). You will catch a lot of them, just… eventually.

Another minor note if you’re DSG, you may need to use manual mode to keep it in its power band during spirited driving. Even with the TCU tune I personally find that sport-auto still upshifts from 4th gear too much.

So yes, I definitely still love it, it’s just I’ve come down to reality a bit now that I feel confident I’ve determined the limits.

For the 1/4 mile, a DTR GTI is capable of high-mid 12-sec 1/4 miles on street tires, low 12s or faster on slicks. My +116mph trap speed should be fast enough for 11s in an AWD MQB.

Note: My 2015 GTI is a non-pp and has no e-diff - all runs are on 245/40/18 Michelin PS4S summer tires on unprepped street.

PB 1/4 mile ET: 13.0 @ 115.95mph
0BB45033-9BEB-4F83-B549-87BA0B1D3BC6.png

PB 1/4 mile trap speed: 13.21 @ 116.73
1376E50F-6DC4-41F0-A7AE-039E582C6B06.png

For the 60-130, a DTR GTI is capable of mid-10s in heaviest trim without weight reduction. I’ve hit multiple 10.6 and 10.7s in probably the heaviest spec (4dr, leather, sunroof) with 2 car seats.

PB 60-130: 10.61s
EF007570-28E4-44DD-9A7D-481FB0D2B1EA.png

Random Anecdotal Comparison: My DTR GTI is faster than a FBO FK8 CTR, but slower than a modded ‘22 Camaro 1SS. Anything trapping less than 118mph in the 1/4 mile will be a fun run from a roll, just don’t expect to catch the faster ones before 90mph.

Track Performance: Ask someone who’s not a poser :cool:

Edit:
Highway pull with a stock AMG C63 (W205) for science:

Last edited:

CarbonDub

Autocross Champion
Video for those wondering how much faster the DTR is than Stage 2:

On each run I let off once I put on 3 cars, DTR was still pulling hard. Once you hit 90 mph the gap just widens faster.

Edit: I messaged the owner on IG, turns out we actually met at the track over the summer. Says his best 1/4 mile trap speed is 110mph.

Edit 2: Owner confirmed tune is COBB Stage 3 OTS, which is stage 2 most other tuners (IC, DP, exhaust). He’s planning on switching back to EQT but hasn’t yet. All his IG photos were tagged #EQT so I assumed he was running their tune.

Last edited:

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
So I was holding out on making my review until after I've tried the fueling, but life keeps getting in the way and my wallet keeps taking one for the team. My review is about the stock fueling setup, for any R/S3 that can't swing the fueling just yet. APR recommends upgraded fueling for us to make the best power they could achieve through their calibrations.

I am on the turbo, tune, a Blaze 4-inch intake, and do88 intercooler. Stock fueling, stock downpipe. I've read a ton about how sensitive the DTR is to temperatures, flow and whatnot, so I opted for the best I could find. My HPFP was placed on recall and it took a few months for the replacement to arrive. Otherwise, the fueling would've went in on the same day of installation.

Non-fueling review: In a word, "mid" as we younger kids say (I'm about to turn 27 next month so I'm clinging to my youth, fight me). Any usable power out of this kit is only accessible past 80mph. A handful of 60 to 100mph pulls and the thing just pushes me back into my seat as the speed climbs further and further. I live in NYC so 98% is stop and go traffic. Having to pull out from behind a yellow cabbie that wants to get a fare directly in front of me, not fun with this kit at all. I was bone stock, IS38, prior to this kit. I could plop the DSG shifter into "S" and zip off without a worry. Now, I need to either have the balls to YOLO or wait for three or four cars to pass before I make my attempt. Why? Because there's absolutely no torque where I need it. I have tried "Race" + manual mode to leave it in 1st gear (I have the DQ381) and even then it's a close call many times. The wait time for this kit to spool up on the stock downpipe, I'd have better luck waiting for a delayed subway train to arrive (I'm exaggerating but it's somewhat true).

Many people like the sound this turbo makes and I do too. I've found that it acts as a deterrent from any would-be attacker (a fellow enthusiast but I view them as threats to national security) from trying to be on my bumper, just because I drive a blue Golf with quad pipes. It's happened a lot when I was stock. It barely happens now. For that, I tip my hat to APR. But that's all, the sound effect. Because the tune has protections built into it to preserve the OEM cats, the power output varies. There are times I feel like it's not making the claimed power. Others have said it feels slower than any Stage 2 tune, which this kit is supposed to take the place of. I've never tried Stage 2 but I feel inclined to agree with them.

I personally believe that this kit is a highway/interstate cruiser. I drive for my job almost every day with my R so I have extensive seat time. This kit has no issues making overtakes at higher speeds from my experience. This kit DOES have issues when you need access to power and it doesn't come on until around 4,000rpm - to where it wants to take off but by then I'm already braking before I can start to access the power this kit provides. If you have a downpipe, avoid this kit like the plague and opt for a Vortex or similar hybrid. APR will NOT tune for any downpipe anymore. I've been told by EQT reps that I can make 430-440whp on this turbo on 93 octane, but the whole point is to provide "emissions compliant performance" - stock downpipe setup. I know others have kept their aftermarket downpipe and placed an O2 spacer on their cars with minimal to no issues, and frankly, I'd like to try it myself, solely to just get a quicker spool for safety reasons. Mf'ers here do not like letting little cars like my Golf merge, change lanes, anything.

I wish I had tried Stage 2 first before falling for the "400whp on the stock downpipe" marketing APR used. Bargain performance, sure. Does it feel like 400whp, I don't know. The fastest car I've been passenger in was a 6th gen Camaro SS when it was first brought out. That thing felt ballistic no matter the rpm. This is more for if you've got no other choice and have to make due with emissions legalities. I had APR Stage 1 on my previous Mk7 R and it felt great. Usable power no matter what situation I was in. Now with this Mk7.5 R + DTR, I'm left questioning whether I made a mistake when choosing it to try it out.

Video of a normal acceleration, as if I want to pass someone off the line:

Video of a "simulated" overtaking situation (no cars aside from me was on the road):

Mods:
• APR DTR6054 turbo, ECU + TCU on 93
• APR coil packs/spark plugs
• Blaze Performance AToM Race V2 intake
• do88 intercooler
• completely bone stock exhaust (resonator still in place)

P.S.: thank you to all who I've PM'ed with my many questions, including APR reps. I don't mean to provide a negative review but the stock downpipe is just dreadful for a turbo that favors higher rpms like this. Aside from a wastegate actuator issue, I've had no issues with APR's tune in regards to reliability. It starts up and goes, putt putts when needed, racekor when needed, all without issue. The stock downpipe is the only thing that should be cast into the pits of Kaon with no remorse. I look forward to trying a higher-flowing catted downpipe (like Milltek) in the future. Otherwise, I'm just waiting to hear about HPA's VR550T crate motor program. A white Mk5 R32 cruised with me yesterday and I got to hear beautiful VR6 noises.

Mk7R_matey

Car(s)
Mk7.5 Golf R DSG
So I was holding out on making my review until after I've tried the fueling, but life keeps getting in the way and my wallet keeps taking one for the team. My review is about the stock fueling setup, for any R/S3 that can't swing the fueling just yet. APR recommends upgraded fueling for us to make the best power they could achieve through their calibrations.

I am on the turbo, tune, a Blaze 4-inch intake, and do88 intercooler. Stock fueling, stock downpipe. I've read a ton about how sensitive the DTR is to temperatures, flow and whatnot, so I opted for the best I could find. My HPFP was placed on recall and it took a few months for the replacement to arrive. Otherwise, the fueling would've went in on the same day of installation.

Non-fueling review: In a word, "mid" as we younger kids say (I'm about to turn 27 next month so I'm clinging to my youth, fight me). Any usable power out of this kit is only accessible past 80mph. A handful of 60 to 100mph pulls and the thing just pushes me back into my seat as the speed climbs further and further. I live in NYC so 98% is stop and go traffic. Having to pull out from behind a yellow cabbie that wants to get a fare directly in front of me, not fun with this kit at all. I was bone stock, IS38, prior to this kit. I could plop the DSG shifter into "S" and zip off without a worry. Now, I need to either have the balls to YOLO or wait for three or four cars to pass before I make my attempt. Why? Because there's absolutely no torque where I need it. I have tried "Race" + manual mode to leave it in 1st gear (I have the DQ381) and even then it's a close call many times. The wait time for this kit to spool up on the stock downpipe, I'd have better luck waiting for a delayed subway train to arrive (I'm exaggerating but it's somewhat true).

Many people like the sound this turbo makes and I do too. I've found that it acts as a deterrent from any would-be attacker (a fellow enthusiast but I view them as threats to national security) from trying to be on my bumper, just because I drive a blue Golf with quad pipes. It's happened a lot when I was stock. It barely happens now. For that, I tip my hat to APR. But that's all, the sound effect. Because the tune has protections built into it to preserve the OEM cats, the power output varies. There are times I feel like it's not making the claimed power. Others have said it feels slower than any Stage 2 tune, which this kit is supposed to take the place of. I've never tried Stage 2 but I feel inclined to agree with them.

I personally believe that this kit is a highway/interstate cruiser. I drive for my job almost every day with my R so I have extensive seat time. This kit has no issues making overtakes at higher speeds from my experience. This kit DOES have issues when you need access to power and it doesn't come on until around 4,000rpm - to where it wants to take off but by then I'm already braking before I can start to access the power this kit provides. If you have a downpipe, avoid this kit like the plague and opt for a Vortex or similar hybrid. APR will NOT tune for any downpipe anymore. I've been told by EQT reps that I can make 430-440whp on this turbo on 93 octane, but the whole point is to provide "emissions compliant performance" - stock downpipe setup. I know others have kept their aftermarket downpipe and placed an O2 spacer on their cars with minimal to no issues, and frankly, I'd like to try it myself, solely to just get a quicker spool for safety reasons. Mf'ers here do not like letting little cars like my Golf merge, change lanes, anything.

I wish I had tried Stage 2 first before falling for the "400whp on the stock downpipe" marketing APR used. Bargain performance, sure. Does it feel like 400whp, I don't know. The fastest car I've been passenger in was a 6th gen Camaro SS when it was first brought out. That thing felt ballistic no matter the rpm. This is more for if you've got no other choice and have to make due with emissions legalities. I had APR Stage 1 on my previous Mk7 R and it felt great. Usable power no matter what situation I was in. Now with this Mk7.5 R + DTR, I'm left questioning whether I made a mistake when choosing it to try it out.

Video of a normal acceleration, as if I want to pass someone off the line:

Video of a "simulated" overtaking situation (no cars aside from me was on the road):

Mods:
• APR DTR6054 turbo, ECU + TCU on 93
• APR coil packs/spark plugs
• Blaze Performance AToM Race V2 intake
• do88 intercooler
• completely bone stock exhaust (resonator still in place)

P.S.: thank you to all who I've PM'ed with my many questions, including APR reps. I don't mean to provide a negative review but the stock downpipe is just dreadful for a turbo that favors higher rpms like this. Aside from a wastegate actuator issue, I've had no issues with APR's tune in regards to reliability. It starts up and goes, putt putts when needed, racekor when needed, all without issue. The stock downpipe is the only thing that should be cast into the pits of Kaon with no remorse. I look forward to trying a higher-flowing catted downpipe (like Milltek) in the future. Otherwise, I'm just waiting to hear about HPA's VR550T crate motor program. A white Mk5 R32 cruised with me yesterday and I got to hear beautiful VR6 noises.
Great review! IMHO APR made the most useless turbo for MQB vehicles. I haven’t heard a single person love this turbo. No idea who this is for even the emissions people. No idea what they were thinking.

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Great review! IMHO APR made the most useless turbo for MQB vehicles. I haven’t heard a single person love this turbo. No idea who this is for even the emissions people. No idea what they were thinking.
I have to agree. If anyone wants stock downpipe performance, stick with an IS38 or get a Vortex Standard and have it custom-tuned. You'll have a better powerband with either of those turbos. I've lost track of how many people ask about custom tuning or downpipe support from APR (myself included).

I'll provide an update whenever I get the fueling done.

Last edited:

Covelight

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Update: Upgraded fueling on 93 octane for the past two weeks. The car feels more eager to get off of the line in either a regular acceleration or mashing your foot into the throttle from a stop. Higher-speed pulls feel more consistent but the stock downpipe is still a hindrance. I think mine is starting to stink, smell-wise. I've been smelling a yucky order from time to time after a pull. Power seems to be more on-point but today was the first day I felt like I lost some power after a few pulls, against a modded F90 M5 Competition and brand new Porsche Cayenne GTS Coupe, no less. The upgraded fueling is worth it compared to stock fueling for us IS38s, even on APR's tune. I'm satisfied for now but I've got something else I want to do with my car at a later date.