GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
$1000 is more like everything for a full weekend, track fee, insurance, maybe a bit towards the next set of tires
Agreed with this, unless it's a high end track like cota, and limerock is not.

@Acadia18, choose the hpde group you run with based on the program they offer. Scca events for example don't offer as much instruction and coaching as other events, and some clubs don't even do novice training. I have a preference for nasa due to their novice instruction quality in my area. Typically it's 450$ for a weekend with 8-10 driving sessions and a total 2.5-3hrs on track. Your first weekend out you won't need to worry much about brake and tire wear, since you won't be moving fast enough to really wear it down.

Don't rule out bmwcca and pca due to their name. They take all cars and both do a pretty good job of novice instruction as well.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Maybe see what SCCA/Track Night In America has to offer as well.

I'd like to see some track time at some point, I did an autocross at Pocono with NEPA region SCCA and it was a good time. Granted that's the infield, but it was a good opportunity to be in 3rd for once and the speeds were definitely higher than the autocrosses I'm used to.
I've been to 5 track night events over the years as intermediate and advanced. I've also had to talk to scca national about 2 dangerous situations people were put in because of lack of instruction and poor communication. Last time I went, there weren't improvements in the instruction aspect and novices were still being thrown on track with zero direction.

They sure are cheap events though...

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I've been to 5 track night events over the years as intermediate and advanced. I've also had to talk to scca national about 2 dangerous situations people were put in because of lack of instruction and poor communication. Last time I went, there weren't improvements in the instruction aspect and novices were still being thrown on track with zero direction.

They sure are cheap events though...
Good to know, thank you! My wife has expressed interest in trackday events, but I'm a little hesitant overall. Autocross feels a lot more accessible given my budget.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I’ve got a stupid question lol;

I’m pretty new to this site but I have a stage 2 EQT MK7 and I watch knock retard on every cylinder for my accessport. When I am just cruising everything seems fine, but my brother did a pull in it and the knock went to about -1.5 something and -1.88 which I get on multiple cylinders so it seems normal but I just want to make sure I have nothing to be worried about…

There's plenty in life to be worried about. But without knowing anything else about your car, with those numbers alone, I wouldn't be worried.

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
I hear a kind of ticking noise for maybe 10 seconds after a really cold start. Genuinely can't remember if the car has always done this.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I hear a kind of ticking noise for maybe 10 seconds after a really cold start. Genuinely can't remember if the car has always done this.
I'm there too, I believe it's normal. Mine's done it since day one of ownership, and it always calms down after things have gotten a little warm.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Good to know, thank you! My wife has expressed interest in trackday events, but I'm a little hesitant overall. Autocross feels a lot more accessible given my budget.
Yes, you're totally right. Autox is more accessible initially to get your feet wet. It's fairly easy to run a whole season for <1k$ if you really try. 6-8 track weekends in a gti will run you 5-6k$ if you're careful, and not significantly nodded. With more power and suspension you burn through tires and brakes faster.

At a certain point, when you have the funds and are willing to use them, track events become more appealing due to seat time. A season in autox for $1k gets you about 40 mins of seat time, while one track weekend gets you at least 4 times that. Dollars per minute favors track that way, but total spend favors autox.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Even COTA full day is 650-700. And that's an expensive track to rent out. $1k seems high unless that's 2 days

And I second starting with autocross to get a feel for your car at lower speeds

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Has anyone got a key re-programmed under warranty? Dealership wants $150, but when I asked about having it re-programmed under warranty he wasn't sure if it was covered or not. He was basically like "ehhhh...yeeeeahhh we miiiiight be able to do that....."
If it is the original key and under the B2B wtty they should cover it. Under hint it would be the time to get a 3rd key

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Has anyone else who ordered BFI stuff (particularly mounts) via USP over Black Friday been waiting quite a long time on orders? I ordered in late November of 2021, and still haven't had anything ship. Reaching out to USP has had my expected date of shipping pushed back several times, but I'm not getting a whole lot of information, and so before I reach out to them (again) I want to see if it's just my order, or if everyone's been waiting forever. I ordered mk7 Stage 1 engine and transmission mounts, if it makes any difference.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Par for the course with any of the drop-shippers, especially these days. Been waiting on bushings just as long. Odds are they can't tell you anything useful until there's a tracking number.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Has anyone else who ordered BFI stuff (particularly mounts) via USP over Black Friday been waiting quite a long time on orders? I ordered in late November of 2021, and still haven't had anything ship. Reaching out to USP has had my expected date of shipping pushed back several times, but I'm not getting a whole lot of information, and so before I reach out to them (again) I want to see if it's just my order, or if everyone's been waiting forever. I ordered mk7 Stage 1 engine and transmission mounts, if it makes any difference.
I got mine within a week, but I ordered mine very early on Friday morning.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Par for the course with any of the drop-shippers, especially these days. Been waiting on bushings just as long. Odds are they can't tell you anything useful until there's a tracking number.
Agreed with this. Pretty much everyone is a drop shipper these days. You have to call to confirm stock if you really want something. Otherwise assume you're waiting on a boat somewhere off the coast of China.

I've been waiting on a ground control order since black Friday week. Every time I talk to them it's "30-45 days out", but that's expected from them... They are always busy and 6mo behind.

depan

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TSI 1.8T
Is there a consensus "best" ECU tune for the 1.8T AT? Trying to fight the urge to buy a new car right now... Love my Golf as a daily driver getting a bit bored of it and also annoyed with the transmission wanting to always upshift in drive and the awkward points where the car wants to upshift even in tiptronic and starts stuttering/jerking around if I am too low on the throttle. I figure it is worth the $500 or so gamble as opposed to buying a ~$30k new car (and that is if I'm lucky enough to not get price gouged by dealer markup). Any downsides I should be aware of like resale value or maintenance? I can't help but think my golf was designed for 170hp and adding 50-75hp would add more stress on the car in some places but maybe I'm wrong.

Also I don't have a laptop or any OBD cables so idk if I could do a self tune but the nearest tuner is 2 hours away. They support Unitronic, APR, & Integrated Engineering fwiw.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Is there a consensus "best" ECU tune for the 1.8T AT? Trying to fight the urge to buy a new car right now... Love my Golf as a daily driver getting a bit bored of it and also annoyed with the transmission wanting to always upshift in drive and the awkward points where the car wants to upshift even in tiptronic and starts stuttering/jerking around if I am too low on the throttle. I figure it is worth the $500 or so gamble as opposed to buying a ~$30k new car (and that is if I'm lucky enough to not get price gouged by dealer markup). Any downsides I should be aware of like resale value or maintenance? I can't help but think my golf was designed for 170hp and adding 50-75hp would add more stress on the car in some places but maybe I'm wrong.

Also I don't have a laptop or any OBD cables so idk if I could do a self tune but the nearest tuner is 2 hours away. They support Unitronic, APR, & Integrated Engineering fwiw.
Sounds like for what you are looking for, either of those three would do fine.