GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New 2021s still arriving at dealers?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I watched this yesterday. He made a few good points about the shortcuts but comparing haptic controls in cars to touchscreen phones was a bad analogy.
It's not at all the same thing. Taking your eyes off the road to make sure you hit the Next Track button is just bad engineering. Right now I can leave my thumb on the button and scan through songs without any visual requirement. Why take that away from me?
And hitting the volume button a few times is nothing. "You gotta hit it 16 times." Bro, what? Swiping it like that is ridiculous.
I think they'll go back to physical buttons, as well. I mean, no light up climate controls? Really? VW overshot this in their post scandal electropanic.
We'd still have nice carpeted door pockets and felt gloveboxes if it weren't for that diesel nonsense.
I'm so mad that I can finally afford an R and they pull this sht.
Didn't watch the video, but I had a '21 Arteon with the haptic buttons on the steering wheel and you could push the volume up & down OR swipe.....it did both
I never used the swiping feature though

And you don't have to swipe it 16 times to turn it up or down.....if you had your finger on it and moved it slowly (not a quick swipe) it would turn the volume up or down in conjunction with that motion. So if you did it real slow, you could get it super loud with that one swipe....if makes sense

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
They failed the first basic principal. Don't do something just because you can. If you still go ahead and do it, do it right the first time, rather than have millions tell you that you violated the first principal. After all this time having controls that focused the driver's attention on the road, they created multi-screen and touch-sensitive controls that likely equate to texting four people at once, trying hard to find the right function. This could be a real problem, especially at night.

There should be a prioritized list. The controls people need to be intuitive and easy to feel without distraction, Heat/AC, audio/tuning/heated seats and on. You should never have to pull your car or eyes off the road to use those necessary features. If you do, it's poorly engineered.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
They failed the first basic principal. Don't do something just because you can. If you still go ahead and do it, do it right the first time, rather than have millions tell you that you violated the first principal. After all this time having controls that focused the driver's attention on the road, they created multi-screen and touch-sensitive controls that likely equate to texting four people at once, trying hard to find the right function. This could be a real problem, especially at night.

There should be a prioritized list. The controls people need to be intuitive and easy to feel without distraction, Heat/AC, audio/tuning/heated seats and on. You should never have to pull your car or eyes off the road to use those necessary features. If you do, it's poorly engineered.

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com...ith-intelligent-climate-control-5730/download

Have you tested the voice controls for hvac and audio?