GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My gti is leaking fluid but I can’t tell what it is.

OwenR

Car(s)
2015 GTI DSG
Hello,
My 2015 GTI with dsg is leaking fluids underneath and at first I thought it was oil, but now I’m not so sure. My low oil level light came on and I saw that it was leaking so I filled it but it’s still leaking. I kept track of the level of oil and it hasn’t gone down at all yet there is a puddle underneath the car. So now I’m think it’s trans fluid but I don’t know how to tell because it seems to be coming from the oil pan. I want to drive it to a shop and get it fixed but I’m worried that if it’s out of trans fluid it will break when I try and drive it. I don’t know much so I might be wrong about the entire thing haha. I am wondering if anyone here can tell me if it’s trans fluid or oil fluid and how I could check the level of the trans fluid. I’ve attached photos of the puddle and what’s above it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• F9113EF1-B4E4-47F3-B664-4A615ECAAB8D.png
    F9113EF1-B4E4-47F3-B664-4A615ECAAB8D.png
    12.7 MB · Views: 202
  • 1802C524-E966-4CEF-B36E-C127C9BFB3FA.png
    1802C524-E966-4CEF-B36E-C127C9BFB3FA.png
    13.7 MB · Views: 208

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
If you’re worried about driving, have it towed to a shop. Looks like it’s motor oil considering where it appears to be accumulating.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I'd take it to a shop, but from your pictures it looks like your oil level sensor and the bottom of the pan are pretty wet. Being on that side I'd assume it's oil and not transmission fluid but it's hard to tell.

OldVWFan

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Since you say it is a DSG then I would think that the transmission fluid color would be reddish in color if it is reasonably clean. Coolant is pink and oil is dark if old and more amber I would say if clean and depending on what oil you are using. The oil level sensor could be leaking, drain plug or oil pan gasket. When you look up the backside of the engine do you see oil? If so then the cam cover gasket. The transmission if off to the right so i don't see how it is that leaking.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Since you say it is a DSG then I would think that the transmission fluid color would be reddish in color if it is reasonably clean. Coolant is pink and oil is dark if old and more amber I would say if clean and depending on what oil you are using. The oil level sensor could be leaking, drain plug or oil pan gasket. When you look up the backside of the engine do you see oil? If so then the cam cover gasket. The transmission if off to the right so i don't see how it is that leaking.
On the ground even relatively clean DSG fluid will look blackish.

Mk7tsi3door

Go Kart Newbie
I would say if low oil light came on first it’s likely engine oil. You can leak quite a bit and not notice a change on the dipstick esp if it’s not noticeably pooling on the ground. My oil leaks from the upper timing chain cover/ oil fill cap and makes a mess leaking down to the oil pan but never really makes a difference between oil changes.

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
Looks like oil to me. I recently had to replace my oil pan gasket, the oil was accumulating in the same spot. Even with what appeared to be a lot of oil on the ground the oil level didn't seem to drop as fast as expected.