GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
Curious as to what downsides you saw? I've gotten much less grooving with slotted rotors than with the OEM blanks, no pedal pulsing, and pad wear has been reasonable too (less than OEM because of the grooving issues, I think).
brake noise was the worst side effect, but I also noticed odd wear issues as well. Definitely wasn't worth paying more money for brakes that made noise and had no discernible performance benefits.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
brake noise was the worst side effect, but I also noticed odd wear issues as well. Definitely wasn't worth paying more money for brakes that made noise and had no discernible performance benefits.
Interesting. Noise has been totally fine for me. Might change when I switch top mounts for something more rigid I guess.

Bernb6

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Autobahn
99, just to be clear, I am sensitive to noises and my slotted Girodisc and Stoptech rotors have been quiet.
Bern

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Girodisc kind of spirals the slots outward, instead of just straight slots, right? That might be why.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Girodisc kind of spirals the slots outward, instead of just straight slots, right? That might be why.
I have the Stoptech slotted rotors. They're straight but angled to the pad. Can't feel or hear anything unless I'm REALLY heavy on the brakes (emergency stop/threshold braking).

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have the Stoptech slotted rotors. They're straight but angled to the pad. Can't feel or hear anything unless I'm REALLY heavy on the brakes (emergency stop/threshold braking).

So you do hear it under certain circumstances. I was very skeptical of reports of no noise.

Again, some people are more sensitive to the noise than others, but they do make noise. Might be better or worse based on slot design and conditions that you drive, but they do make more noise than a bank.

I'm glad that some people aren't having noise with the slotted design they chose, under the conditions they drive, but overall, slotted rotors make noise.

I've personally had experience with it on multiple cars and had increased pad wear.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
So you do hear it under certain circumstances. I was very skeptical of reports of no noise.

Again, some people are more sensitive to the noise than others, but they do make noise. Might be better or worse based on slot design and conditions that you drive, but they do make more noise than a bank.

I'm glad that some people aren't having noise with the slotted design they chose, under the conditions they drive, but overall, slotted rotors make noise.

I've personally had experience with it on multiple cars and had increased pad wear.
Only time I've ever noticed it was heavy braking zones at autocross and even then it's slight and there's a ton of other noise anyway (tires talking, wind noise from open windows, etc.). Daily driving I don't hear a peep, even when I was paying extra attention because of this thread. Nothin'.

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
I definitely felt and heard the grooves on mine.

1644304041113.png

Martin2411

Car(s)
Golf mk7.5r
Hi guys i ordered macan brakes , but as im reading this comment im affraid if i did correct choice. So can please somebody tell me whe has them , is the brake pedal relly soft ? Is it worse then oem ? Are they breaking better than oem? I like the feel of oem pedal so wanna stay there, still i can cancel the order so please let me know as i dont want soft pedal whit long distance to push. Tbanks

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hi guys i ordered macan brakes , but as im reading this comment im affraid if i did correct choice. So can please somebody tell me whe has them , is the brake pedal relly soft ?

No.

Is it worse then oem ?

No.

Are they breaking better than oem?

Yes.

I like the feel of oem pedal so wanna stay there, still i can cancel the order so please let me know as i dont want soft pedal whit long distance to push. Tbanks

Bleed properly, use red rubber grease, and do the OBD11 changes outlined in the first or second post and you won't have a soft pedal with a long travel distance.

Martin2411

Car(s)
Golf mk7.5r
Thanks for your reply, so im going for it, will reply soon they should come next week after that im gonna get them painted a ready for install. Thank you

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
@Acadia18 is spot on in his answer.

My brakes feel just like OEM. I can't for sure say they brake better, like the car stops x feet shorter from y speed, but they don't feel any worse.