GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Long Term Spark Plug Thoughts

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I don't have FB, was this really the response?

1642049147988.png

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Oh, yeah that makes sense. I honestly feel like every aftermarket part and modification should come with the real world pros and cons listed so the average consumer can understand.

But maybe people don't care to know and they just want someone else to tell them what to do?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
What a rollercoaster. The GTI is my first true 'high-strung'/'high performance' car, and as such I think that there's an inherit level of risk when asking it to go above it's factory performance. It's not the old NA 2.0, they're much more on-the-edge cars than their predecessors, but there's also much more power to be made than factory. I get where EQT is running into concerns from the community, and I think their decision to provide a list of several options isn't a bad one. I'm Stage 1 91 octane tuned, and am still on stock plugs without issues -- though change time is coming up, and I'll be gapping the new ones to .024".

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's new-ish to high-strung cars, so I can understand the concern -- I was also initially concerned. Nobody wants to blow up the engine on what for many folks is the second largest purchase they'll make in their lifetime (in general, second to buying a house -- not saying the GTI in particular). But ultimately the 'safe' option would be to stay stock, and enjoy it as it is. But for those of us that want more, I think tuners taking the approach of 'here's what we recommend, do with that what you will' is a fair assessment.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
EQT's latest spark plug post on FB: "You know what, fuck it. Use whatever you want."
Considering what seems like a large chunk of their customer-base, this is no surprise. Folks want to be spoon fed and have absolutes in the car mod world and there just isn't. EQT is simply providing info for digestion and making a recommendation that de-risks this issue beyond what is really needed b/c well...again...look at a lot of their customers.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Does anyone really know if 0.024" is necessary on these OTS stage 1/2 cars? I just can't believe 0.004" is making f-all of a difference.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Does anyone really know if 0.024" is necessary on these OTS stage 1/2 cars? I just can't believe 0.004" is making f-all of a difference.
I'm about 2k in on EQT Stage 1 91 octane with stock gap, and haven't had issues -- with that said, I'm still gonna follow the recommendation. I don't think there's any reason it would be suggested just for funsies, and it can't hurt. BUT I'm also going to be checking my plugs every 10-15k (still undecided), because it doesn't take long and is probably not a bad idea to keep an eye on them potentially opening up.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
613xjk.jpg

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I'm about 2k in on EQT Stage 1 91 octane with stock gap, and haven't had issues -- with that said, I'm still gonna follow the recommendation. I don't think there's any reason it would be suggested just for funsies, and it can't hurt. BUT I'm also going to be checking my plugs every 10-15k (still undecided), because it doesn't take long and is probably not a bad idea to keep an eye on them potentially opening up.
It's not about funsies, its about a recommendation based on testing not just b/c it sounds good. Again - has anyone really tested the plug gap's impact on these cars? At 10-15K, just replace them. Your experience shows it - stock gap on a stage 1 tune isn't giving you any issues.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
75000V/in x 0.004" x ((26psi +14.7psi (atm)) /14.7) = 830 Volts

For reference, most boosted 4 cyl coil packs produce 40000V or more with the coil being capable of closer to 75000V. You don't want them running at 100% because they'll burn out fairly quickly, so target operating ranges are typically 50-75% of total capacity. Humidity and fuel quality will also have an impact.

I'm not sure I'd classify this engine as "high strung", even with a lot of boost. It's not like we have some sort of insane cylinder velocity, a high rev range, or even a high compression ratio. It's not really that sensitive.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
75000V/in x 0.004" x ((26psi +14.7psi (atm)) /14.7) = 830 Volts

For reference, most boosted 4 cyl coil packs produce 40000V or more with the coil being capable of closer to 75000V. You don't want them running at 100% because they'll burn out fairly quickly, so target operating ranges are typically 50-75% of total capacity. Humidity and fuel quality will also have an impact.

I'm not sure I'd classify this engine as "high strung", even with a lot of boost. It's not like we have some sort of insane cylinder velocity, a high rev range, or even a high compression ratio. It's not really that sensitive.
Neat, I learned something new today! I guess my standards are a bit warped, my view was largely shaped by the opinion that for a four-cylinder car, these make quite a bit of power. Thanks for giving some more information!