GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot A/S 4 - disappoint, suggestions?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Just put these through the paces in the snow here in central VA - nothing crazy about 4"+ but they did great...very happy with them or the 1-2 minor snows we get a year here.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Does anyone else find them to be loud on the highway or is it just me? I never heard anything from my Conti DWS06’s but instantly picked up some road noise after installing these.
After 300 miles and a lift of about 1/4" on all four corners of the coilovers, it's definitely improved. I have an alignment scheduled for tomorrow and I'll be interested to see how much raising them by 1/4" affected it, if at all.

amsr

Ready to race!
Yeah they are noticeably better than the AS3+ in the snow and the ride/noise is a little better. Similar levels of grip. But the turn in and cornering is mushy in comparison. Thats my conclusion.

amsr

Ready to race!
So I'm on my 3rd set of AS3+/AS4 tires on my MK7 SE. I haven't found anything better in this type of tire category. They are great down to about 5/32 where they start noticeably losing wet and snow traction. I'm getting about 30k out of a set replacing at 4/32. My impression is the same. The AS4 has a less direct steering feel but slightly improved ride. They aren't great in the snow, but are passable with light snow. They are fine in an area that gets plowed regularly and snows occasionally.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah I've owned 1 set of AS3+ and one set of AS4's. The AS3+ was DEFINITELY more of a summerish tire that *Could* be driven in the winter. It wore faster, was louder, and had better driving characteristics like that of a summer tire.

The AS4 is much more true-to-form of what it's intended category suggests, UHP AS. Less road noise, softer ride, better snow performance, but noticeably worse street performance in the dry.

For me my favorite commuter car tire, personally, is the DWS06 I had on my gf's JSW TDI. 25K miles and they're still at 10mm on 2 of the corners and 9 on the other 2.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I ran a set of PS4 A/S for about 30k miles and was happy with them, but as they got up in mileage (still with a lot of tread left) they got progressively noisier so I decided to replace them with Conti DWS06+, which I've run on a couple of other cars in the past and been very happy with. Well, I'm very happy with them again. The sidewalls are definitely not as stiff as the PS4AS so the ride has smoothed out noticeably. Also not as loud, at least at this point in their life. And grip is just fine, even in the dry. Bonus is they are less expensive.

amsr

Ready to race!
The other thing I appreciate about the Michelin is I haven’t had a pothole blowout since switching to them. It could just be luck, but I had 3 pothole blowouts on the original P7 cinturato tires that came with my MK7. So the sidewall construction of the Michelin seems to be able to hold up better to crappy roads.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I ran a set of PS4 A/S for about 30k miles and was happy with them, but as they got up in mileage (still with a lot of tread left) they got progressively noisier so I decided to replace them with Conti DWS06+, which I've run on a couple of other cars in the past and been very happy with. Well, I'm very happy with them again. The sidewalls are definitely not as stiff as the PS4AS so the ride has smoothed out noticeably. Also not as loud, at least at this point in their life. And grip is just fine, even in the dry. Bonus is they are less expensive.
Amen brother, I like them so much I am going down in overall diameter on my Touareg, which interestingly is 1 mph faster than speedo @ 60 mph and 2 mph faster at 80, on factory-sized 275/40/21’s.

Going to a 255/45/19 DWS06+ SUV. I think it’ll just about correct speedo, probably read a bit under (so if it says I’m going 60, probably 59, 80, prolly 78) which is gonna end up pissing people behind me off lol. But yeah these are my favorite street tires for an everyday commuter / weekend highway car. Excited to see how they are on my Treg. Especially with a little more meat in the sidewalls and better performance compared to my current Michelin premier LTX.

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm getting a little confused here. I've read posts that the AS 4s are squishy (not very crisp feeling for steering response) and also that their sidewalls are stiffer than the DWS 06+. However I am not finding reports that the DWS 06+ have the same squishy problem.

Is anyone feeling the DWS + to be squishy or vague for day to day spirited (not all out track) driving?

I bought the Cintaro P7s about 15K ago and found the rear to feel very delayed until I added a few more PSI than recommended. I would like at least as much sharp steering feel as they have. After adding more pressure the P7s seem OK, but I don't have anything to compare them to on my MK7. The P7s are not an ultra high performance tire so I expect the DWS will grip better, but that doesn't always translate into the turn in feel.

amsr

Ready to race!
The AS4 is slightly more "squishy" than the AS3+. Both are less squishy and have tons more grip than the P7.

I'm getting a little confused here. I've read posts that the AS 4s are squishy (not very crisp feeling for steering response) and also that their sidewalls are stiffer than the DWS 06+. However I am not finding reports that the DWS 06+ have the same squishy problem.

Is anyone feeling the DWS + to be squishy or vague for day to day spirited (not all out track) driving?

I bought the Cintaro P7s about 15K ago and found the rear to feel very delayed until I added a few more PSI than recommended. I would like at least as much sharp steering feel as they have. After adding more pressure the P7s seem OK, but I don't have anything to compare them to on my MK7. The P7s are not an ultra high performance tire so I expect the DWS will grip better, but that doesn't always translate into the turn in feel.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Used mine as rain track tires this weekend. Thus session I was v. cautious but next (without video) I got going a faster pace and was around 120 on the back straight with good straightline braking and *reasonable* cornering grip. A set of summers like ECS would have been better.