GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot A/S 4 - disappoint, suggestions?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Is there a consensus around what's the quietest/most comfortable A/S tire? My GTI is a daily that doesn't see much performance driving so would be willing to sacrifice some of the latter for more of the former.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Is there a consensus around what's the quietest/most comfortable A/S tire? My GTI is a daily that doesn't see much performance driving so would be willing to sacrifice some of the latter for more of the former.
The Continential DWS06 are very quiet and comfortable. To the point that I bought them and removed them within a few days because they were so rubbery and squishy feeling. I don't know if the new "Plus" version is the same. You should look up the big library of reviews and ratings on Tire Rack. You could probably get some really nice quiet and soft tires if you don't care about performance and don't need to shop in the high performance a/s category.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The gap between a PS4 and an AS4 is pretty thin these days. I have a GTI, not a 720s. I need to be able to drive in light snow a few times a year and temps under 40 maybe 20 days a year. That seems like a very slim window to justify snows and summers wouldn’t do the cold weather or snow duty, plus they just don’t last.

I’m more inclined to do a set of 200tw for spirited drives and track days and a set of AS for road trips and cooler weather. Oddly, regular summer tires don’t really appeal to me as they’re crap on track, don’t really add much dry grip and frequently don’t have the wet grip of the best all seasons.
I just started running 200tw as daily tires. Well not just started... Probably for the last 8 months. This will be the first "winter" with them. But I think they'll be fine. If it snows, I'll just stay at home or take the wife's car.

I agree with the summer tire thing. Kind of pointless at least in Texas. I ran them and they were fine, but still a compromise. My 200 are wearing at the same rate as the summers, but with much better grip.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I just started running 200tw as daily tires. Well not just started... Probably for the last 8 months. This will be the first "winter" with them. But I think they'll be fine. If it snows, I'll just stay at home or take the wife's car.

I agree with the summer tire thing. Kind of pointless at least in Texas. I ran them and they were fine, but still a compromise. My 200 are wearing at the same rate as the summers, but with much better grip.
Grip in a straight line as in wheel spin or cornering grip? I just can't see how a standard summer or UHP AS doesn't have enough grip on the street to necessitate 200tw tires for daily use.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Grip in a straight line as in wheel spin or cornering grip? I just can't see how a standard summer or UHP AS doesn't have enough grip on the street to necessitate 200tw tires for daily use.
Unless his mod list is missing the LSD he installed that's why he wants even more grip...

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
The Continential DWS06 are very quiet and comfortable. To the point that I bought them and removed them within a few days because they were so rubbery and squishy feeling. I don't know if the new "Plus" version is the same. You should look up the big library of reviews and ratings on Tire Rack. You could probably get some really nice quiet and soft tires if you don't care about performance and don't need to shop in the high performance a/s category.
That was gonna be my go-to pick but they're now discontinued and I've heard the "Plus" version significantly stiffened up the sidewalls to bring them more in line with the Pilot A/S4s. Will definitely check out the Tire Rack reviews though!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That was gonna be my go-to pick but they're now discontinued and I've heard the "Plus" version significantly stiffened up the sidewalls to bring them more in line with the Pilot A/S4s. Will definitely check out the Tire Rack reviews though!
I didn't notice any difference going from the plus version to the 4.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
No....I had the DWS06 Plus and there wasn't much of a difference from the prior DWS06 in regards to ride quality

The A/S 4's were definitely stiffer though, as already known

Go with the DWS06 Plus....no ragrets

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Both. Just enjoy it more not worrying about getting away from a light
I have a hard time getting 100tw tires to grip.
Next step I guess, but happy with the 200 for now
Unless his mod list is missing the LSD he installed that's why he wants even more grip...
Yep. Have the lsd and use all the grip I have for accelerating mostly and cornering sometimes although you need a fair bit of speed to use up all the grip

tigeo

Autocross Champion
100 and 200 often need some heat...how are you heating these on the street for max stickyness?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
100 and 200 often need some heat...how are you heating these on the street for max stickyness?
Turn on the car and immediately lay 2 black strips down my driveway. Then continue on my commute.

Jk. I wait for car to warm up first