GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got the flywheel off and motor up on the stand. Took a bit of creativity to get it up there without a crane. I ended up bolting on the mount, then putting the vertical half of the stand on upside down, and rolling the engine over so the wheels were up. Hard to explain but it worked well and I didn't even break anything. Gonna start tearing it down next week and then once I start getting money again i'll most likely be bringing the block down to FFE to get it bored out and cleaned up along with some new rods and pistons.

Also anyone know how this comes out? Does it just pop out? It spins freely once I remove the bolt but it doesn't seem to wanna come out. I tried prying lightly with a screwdriver but got nothing and didn't wanna break it.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Got the flywheel off and motor up on the stand. Took a bit of creativity to get it up there without a crane. I ended up bolting on the mount, then putting the vertical half of the stand on upside down, and rolling the engine over so the wheels were up. Hard to explain but it worked well and I didn't even break anything. Gonna start tearing it down next week and then once I start getting money again i'll most likely be bringing the block down to FFE to get it bored out and cleaned up along with some new rods and pistons.

Also anyone know how this comes out? Does it just pop out? It spins freely once I remove the bolt but it doesn't seem to wanna come out. I tried prying lightly with a screwdriver but got nothing and didn't wanna break it.
Wiggle it?

Phur

Autocross Champion

smanierre

Autocross Champion

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Tap it with a rubber mallet

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
Today - or, well, last year I guess, Happy New Year everyone - I headed up to MA to pick up Baosa's old Uberstealth. Can't wait to get it installed!

==

Had a very "Cool Story Bro" ride home. I ended up in an impromptu mini cruise with a modded Focus ST and a modded Camaro. The Focus had aero bits on the front and rear bumper, and may have had a pops/bangs tune but that may have just been an exhaust. The Camaro definitely had exhaust done, some cosmetic mods too. We all noticed each other on the highway, with the Camaro hopping on at my same onramp and then having a bit of fun with the ST. When I caught up to them, Camaro had slowed down to give the ST a thumbs up and a shaka, the ST downshifted for some noise and pops, and then the Camaro hit his gas. I dropped a couple gears and at least kept up, gave him a DSG fart. Got my own thumbs up for that one :cool: we all just chilled for the next bunch of miles and then Camaro guy made sure to pull up for another thumbs up before we left. It was a really cool thing, no racing, nobody pushing limits or getting risky, just three completely random car guys all appreciating each other's rides.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got that line out of the back of the engine. Did a little wiggling and prying at the same time with a screw driver.

Also got around to taking out the AC compressor lines finally. Will be so nice having the stupid compressor out of the way. Seems like I could never get it totally out of the way beforehand. Would some expansion plugs work fine to plug the holes there or should I look for something more heavy duty/permanent?

Found a bolt that I lost when I did the DV on my car years ago. I think it was the first thing I did to it when I got it and set the pace for having every job go wrong somehow.

Lastly got my engine disassembly/assembly area setup. Got a nice table with some thick plastic laid down where I can put all the parts down and write on with a sharpie to keep track of everything. Also have plastic to cover everything between sessions so it doesn't get any dust or stuff on it. Hoping to have it all torn down within a week.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Found a bolt that I lost when I did the DV on my car years ago. I think it was the first thing I did to it when I got it and set the pace for having every job go wrong somehow.
LOL...I had that happen on my MK5 when changing the DV too. Lost the 3rd bolt and spent waaaay too much time trying to find it, when it was quicker/easier to just go buy a replacement.
I never did find it either

hassanr3

It’s time consuming if you pull the wire all the way into the hatch. I was taking apart the hatch anyway for the tail light install, so it just added an extra wire to pull from the inside. I ran along the passenger side headliner to the front using a plastic trim tool. You do have to pull all the pillars back to tuck it in right. Definitely go slow installing the pillars, VW’s you have to line up the clips just right or they just won’t go back in and will bend.

Take your time and try not to rush. I think I broke every single one of the little plastic ”Airbag” covers in the pillars along the way plus the windshield wiper fluid tube in the hatch. But the final install looks super clean with all the wires hidden away.
Been looking for an answer for months. But what wire did you use for the positive wire for running the camera. There are so many wires i dont know which wire is for the reverse light as the camera obviously needs power from the reverse light when put in gear. Thanks!

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Been looking for an answer for months. But what wire did you use for the positive wire for running the camera. There are so many wires i dont know which wire is for the reverse light as the camera obviously needs power from the reverse light when put in gear. Thanks!

I did this but it was so long ago and I only took one picture of this step

I followed this:

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/mk6-gti-non-emblem-style-oem-rear-view-camera-install-diy.6147106/

I forget which color you need to tap though, I think it was purple with a stripe but not sure

Just use a test light and have someone in the driver seat put it in reverse

c31561

Go Kart Champion

@joemama has the technically correct wire for the reverse signal (I believe it is purple with blue stripe). I found that VWVortex post after I had installed the camera and the wiring and put the panel jigsaw puzzle back together.

So I cheated a little, I traced the wiring to one of the reverse lights in the hatch and tapped that wire. It's only energized when in reverse and was a lot easier to find (and it works) than the pulling the panels again and searching the wire bundle.