GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot A/S 4 - disappoint, suggestions?

rd335

Car(s)
GTI
What year is your car? The biggest noise difference for me was the A3 rear subframe damper, it made a bigger difference in cabin noise than tires, although the AS4 are pretty quiet. I changed from stock to AS3+, which are stupidly loud, to AS4 which are a lot quieter, but I couldn't tell you for sure that they're quieter than stock. I had a Mk7 with the sound deadening around the rear tire and the underhood blanket and then this Mk7.5 with neither of those and the A3 damper makes the Mk7.5 seem quieter than the Mk7 ever was. I suppose the ideal would be a Mk7 with the damper.
2016 GTI Autobahn. I’m not following “A3 damper”. What is that? I apologize as I don’t know much about mods, since i’ve been a warranty pussy for a few years.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
2016 GTI Autobahn. I’m not following “A3 damper”. What is that? I apologize as I don’t know much about mods, since i’ve been a warranty pussy for a few years.
What, you don't read every post in the DIY forum?! Slacker. ;)

amsr

Ready to race!
Are these nice n quiet? I have a dreadful fear of spending $1K on brand new tires, get on the freeway and the cabin sounds like a Cessna cockpit!
They are quieter than the AS3+ but louder than the P7 Cinturato. I don’t find them bothersome from a noise standpoint, but they aren’t silent.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
They are quieter than the AS3+ but louder than the P7 Cinturato. I don’t find them bothersome from a noise standpoint, but they aren’t silent.
I don't know how any tire could be louder than the P7 Cinturato. The Good Year Dura-Tracs on my F350 were quieter than those pieces of shit. The Michelin X-Ice Snows I have mounted now are WAY quieter than those Pirellis.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I don't know how any tire could be louder than the P7 Cinturato. The Good Year Dura-Tracs on my F350 were quieter than those pieces of shit. The Michelin X-Ice Snows I have mounted now are WAY quieter than those Pirellis.
You have a Mk7.5, they took out most of the sound deadening. Your F350 probably has more sound deadening than 100 Mk7.5's.

amsr

Ready to race!
Idk I found the P7 to be ok, they just lacked in all out grip and seemed to blow easily with even small pothole impacts. Honestly if I just wanted a basic touring tire I might consider them again. I’ve driven them on other cars like Audis and they felt the same.

The Michelin PSAS compound is a lot grippier and more durable with the different trade offs I’ve noticed with the AS4 and AS3+. As far as noise the AS3+ had this kind of drone for the first 5k miles around 80mph that made it sound kind of like truck tires. Having driven two e90s with RFT before this car I was pretty concerned about the noise, but it never got worse as the tire aged, or turned into that obnoxious helicopter noise that the cupped RE050 RFT Bridgestones did on my early E90. The AS4 is more muted and I don’t notice much noise at different speeds but there is some amount of hum at all speeds.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
ahahhaha - the Cinturato P7s were v. quiet/comfy grand tourer I had on when my car was new - zero loudness.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Idk I found the P7 to be ok, they just lacked in all out grip and seemed to blow easily with even small pothole impacts. Honestly if I just wanted a basic touring tire I might consider them again. I’ve driven them on other cars like Audis and they felt the same.

The Michelin PSAS compound is a lot grippier and more durable with the different trade offs I’ve noticed with the AS4 and AS3+. As far as noise the AS3+ had this kind of drone for the first 5k miles around 80mph that made it sound kind of like truck tires. Having driven two e90s with RFT before this car I was pretty concerned about the noise, but it never got worse as the tire aged, or turned into that obnoxious helicopter noise that the cupped RE050 RFT Bridgestones did on my early E90. The AS4 is more muted and I don’t notice much noise at different speeds but there is some amount of hum at all speeds.
I think the P7 got a bad wrap as VW was offering them stock on the GTIs and of course any fwd car with an inch of power will get some wheel spin on the street. Their pupose is long-mileage quiet comfy ride, that's it and they do it in my experience.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
ahahhaha - the Cinturato P7s were v. quiet/comfy grand tourer I had on when my car was new - zero loudness.
That's amazing. They ROAR like a hurricane at all speeds > 40Km/h. Poor feedback, poor lateral grip (though gradual loss of grip), horrible grip while braking, hard sidewalls, nearly zero grip in the rain... just garbage tires in every respect, in my opinion. In other words, exactly like every OEM tire I've ever had (except 1 pair... which were Michelin Pilot Sports).

I'm going to flog them slightly used to some cheap fool in the spring, and whistle a merry tune while I count the ducats.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Does anyone else find them to be loud on the highway or is it just me? I never heard anything from my Conti DWS06’s but instantly picked up some road noise after installing these.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I had these on my Mazda 3. They were quieter than the stock Dunlops, but louder than the Contis. IMO they were a very good and balanced tire -- grippy, responsive, decently comfortable, and not overly loud. Definitely not a quiet tire. I did get a loud hum/roar at exactly 80mph on the highway though.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Does anyone else find them to be loud on the highway or is it just me? I never heard anything from my Conti DWS06’s but instantly picked up some road noise after installing these.
These are the firmest loudest AS tires I've ever had but I really like them.