GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Michelin Pilot A/S 4 - disappoint, suggestions?

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
I just switched to AS4 run flats from my stock Pirellis and they got a little squirrelly on me in the standing water last night. Pretty unnerving.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah I’ve seen their tests. If I hadn’t just spent two years with a set of AS3+ I’d be more likely to believe them. Perhaps on a spreadsheet they are better, but my “butt dyno” liked how my car drove on the previous version better. If you watch the video where they interview the product manager they basically dance around the idea that they tilted the tire more in favor of ride and snow performance which were weak spots for the previous version. It seems in the process they gave up some of the “on rails” feeling, even if it doesn’t show up on paper. It’s ok, I was just expecting more of the same when I bought these new versions and what I seem to have got is a bit different. Frankly, most people in the market for an all season probably appreciate the new version - I was just using it as a way to get around running summers and changing to snows since we get a mild winter with a lot of shoulder season here. I probably should be doing that anyways.

I think the AS4 that comes with the corvette is also a special version for that car which has different design characteristics.
I came from AS3+ directly to AS4 too. Much better tire for me. Funny thing is that I was hesitant to get the 4s because I really didn’t like the 3s.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I am curious if everyone making comparisons is using the same spec, XL rated, Y speed rating, etc?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I just switched to AS4 run flats from my stock Pirellis and they got a little squirrelly on me in the standing water last night. Pretty unnerving.
Brand new? You have to wear off the cosmoline, it can take a few hundred miles for any tire to be operating properly. And why run flats, I’ve paid to have them removed from brand new cars, they are universally terrible.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I am curious if everyone making comparisons is using the same spec, XL rated, Y speed rating, etc?
235/40/18 Y XL

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Brand new? You have to wear off the cosmoline, it can take a few hundred miles for any tire to be operating properly. And why run flats, I’ve paid to have them removed from brand new cars, they are universally terrible.
Roughly 8,500 miles on them. They came with the OZ’s I bought from someone here on the forum. I’ll probably not go with run flats in the future.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Roughly 8,500 miles on them. They came with the OZ’s I bought from someone here on the forum. I’ll probably not go with run flats in the future.
Hmm, weird that they’re not good in the rain, that’s the easiest place for me to see an improvement from the AS3+.

amsr

Ready to race!
Funny as you are describing me at the end of your post (as vs. summer + snow) and I think the PSAS4 is fantastic. Hell they worked ok for an HPDE to me.
I’m curious what temps have you run them in? It’s current in the 30s here so maybe my impression would be different if it was warmer?

amsr

Ready to race!
I think the stock size is only available as 92Y XL. I have them mounted on Austins. I’m sure different wheels would alter the feel depending on the weight. Hmm.

APOLLOMK7

Car(s)
2017 Volkswagen GTI
I have the as4 on my 17 gti no issues in Warmer weather their truly confidence inspiring, I do believe colder weather and the chance of black ice can effect you’re ability to truly feel how these tires act.

APOLLOMK7

Car(s)
2017 Volkswagen GTI
37 is stock? whoops. ive always run 35. 🤔
It should say on the sticker when you open the drivers door I usually run mine at +1psi so 38psi when it comes time to change my oil approx (4,500mi) they are around 36 psi when then weather gets cold you can expect sporadic drops in pressure.

rd335

Car(s)
GTI
Just put on a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 4 onto my 2019 GTI SE Manual, hoping to improve on the poor performance from the stock Pirelli Cinturato p7 all seasons. While the Michelin grip is much improved, in both dry and wet, and the Michelin's are nice general use tires, the turn-in is poor, and at actually squishy. I'm running the spec 39 psi on all four tires, and far as I know the alignment is spot on. I found the Pirelli touring tires to have much better road feel and turn-in, but they were terrible at the limits. The Michelin turn-in is so poor that I am hesitant with any type of slalom, (quick back and forths), as they lose a lot of feel and the car gets a bit unstable. Love these tires, except for that huge issue...enough so, I might try to turn them in.

Any suggestions, including alternate tires?

Although I am in Florida, I got all-seasons because I go up into the mountains, where it can go below freezing. And, I may relocate up north.

Thank you,
Joe
Are these nice n quiet? I have a dreadful fear of spending $1K on brand new tires, get on the freeway and the cabin sounds like a Cessna cockpit!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Are these nice n quiet? I have a dreadful fear of spending $1K on brand new tires, get on the freeway and the cabin sounds like a Cessna cockpit!
What year is your car? The biggest noise difference for me was the A3 rear subframe damper, it made a bigger difference in cabin noise than tires, although the AS4 are pretty quiet. I changed from stock to AS3+, which are stupidly loud, to AS4 which are a lot quieter, but I couldn't tell you for sure that they're quieter than stock. I had a Mk7 with the sound deadening around the rear tire and the underhood blanket and then this Mk7.5 with neither of those and the A3 damper makes the Mk7.5 seem quieter than the Mk7 ever was. I suppose the ideal would be a Mk7 with the damper.