GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk8 GTI to be revealed in March

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
may I suggest...

I wish I had room for something like that.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a little piece of land nearby and putting one up, but property prices exploded locally.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Ok, so I got to look at a MK8 SE with leather today at the dealership.
Got to drive it too.
Let me tell you... The car is nice.
Really nice.
All of those kind of odd things about the headlights, the brow, the extension of the headlights at the corners - they all work in person.
They all flow together really well, and give the car a rakish look that's modern and sleek.
The lower intake that I hated so much actually looks pretty damned good, not at all like the underbite or shapeless maw of pictures.
The interior:
All of the materials that were hard touch and soft touch on the MK7, are hard and soft touch on the MK8.
No difference there except the glove box isn't felt lined like it was on earlier MK7's like mine.
I really like the clean, open and modern interior, and that's coming from an analog guy.
The seats are fantastic, and the car is much quieter - exhibiting none of the hard "thwacks" my MK7 makes over the very same roads.
So yeah, I had originally said that VW lost me on the MK8.
That's not true now, and a MK8 may very well be the car that replaces my MK7.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, I know I have an R on order, but I was surprised how much I liked the Mk8 GTI I saw yesterday. The design really doesn’t translate well in photos but looks good in person. It’s a nice, subtle evolution and I love that the side shoulder line is back.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Yeah, I know I have an R on order, but I was surprised how much I liked the Mk8 GTI I saw yesterday. The design really doesn’t translate well in photos but looks good in person. It’s a nice, subtle evolution and I love that the side shoulder line is back.
Congratulations on the R, it's an awesome car!
Yeah, I liked the shoulder line of the MK6 - then embraced the lack of it on on the MK7 - but really like it's use on the MK8.
Yes, these vehicles aren't captured well by photos.

Last edited:

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I wish I had room for something like that.

I've toyed with the idea of buying a little piece of land nearby and putting one up, but property prices exploded locally.

structure of the shop is up. Need to side and roof.

24x32

gdub09

Ready to race!
My dealer got our first MK8 this past week. I haven't researched much on this car other than the photos I've seen so sorry if I offend.

I do not like this car. Not at all. Everything is in the infotainment screen that's completely touch screen/gesture/voice control, that barely works. Literally everything. Radio, HVAC, vehicle data, everything for the vehicle. I found it very difficult to navigate just sitting there playing with it. Not a fan of the haptic buttons, especially for the headlights. Trying to adjust temperature with your finger, swiping isn't ideal, therefore pushing the gesture or voice control on drivers.

I also noticed the buttons in front of the screen don't light up when the lights are on. Coil reader is in the cup holder so that's 1 spilled drink away from replacement. Seems to have too much from the ID in it which was meant to push VW tech. Its not a simple, basic vehicle anymore. It has too much technology in it imo. I prefer buttons and knobs and I feel that's what this vehicle should have. When we get an R maybe that'll sway my view, who knows.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
My dealer got our first MK8 this past week. I haven't researched much on this car other than the photos I've seen so sorry if I offend.

I do not like this car. Not at all. Everything is in the infotainment screen that's completely touch screen/gesture/voice control, that barely works. Literally everything. Radio, HVAC, vehicle data, everything for the vehicle. I found it very difficult to navigate just sitting there playing with it. Not a fan of the haptic buttons, especially for the headlights. Trying to adjust temperature with your finger, swiping isn't ideal, therefore pushing the gesture or voice control on drivers.

I also noticed the buttons in front of the screen don't light up when the lights are on. Coil reader is in the cup holder so that's 1 spilled drink away from replacement. Seems to have too much from the ID in it which was meant to push VW tech. Its not a simple, basic vehicle anymore. It has too much technology in it imo. I prefer buttons and knobs and I feel that's what this vehicle should have. When we get an R maybe that'll sway my view, who knows.
And more importantly IMHO, owners of the mk8 in the UK - and presumably other markets where the mk8 Golf is sold - have had to put up with numerous software related issues that VW seem to be slow to fix. The mk8 has been on sale for nearly two years in the UK and some other markets, so VW have had plenty of time to sort these issues out. Some of the issues that drivers have experienced seem to be specific to countries that drive on the left and measure speed in mph - e.g.
  • the car ‘reading’ mph speed limit signs as kph and applying the brakes without warning to slow the car down - e.g. speed limit 60 mph, car reads this as 60 kph so slows the car to 37 mph 😮. Potentially dangerous if this happens on a busy route if the driver of a vehicle behind is too close or has slow reaction times.
  • the car trying to prevent the driver overtaking slower moving vehicles because it ‘thinks’ the driver is trying to perform an illegal undertaking manoeuvre (it‘s confusing right hand drive / driving on the left with left hand drive / driving on the right).
There have been other software gremlins reported on other forum that aren’t driving on the left or mph/kph related - e.g.
  • Infotainment screens going blank or freezing up, preventing the operation functions that can only be accessed through the infotainment screen.
  • numerous erroneous warning messages being displayed to the driver.
There’s a live discussion thread on mk8 gremlins over on the mk8 forum board over on the ‘R’ forum (VWROC.com), and at time of writing this post, that discussion thread is currently 101 pages long.

Some of the software fixes already released by VW seem to work in some cars but not others. There’s a major software update release rumoured to be happening before the end of the year which is meant to fix most of the issues. However, the end of the year is fast approaching and as far as I’m aware, the software release hasn’t happened yet.

It‘s a great shame that VW seem to have dropped the ball with the mk8; dynamically, it’s meant to be a great driver’s car and an improvement over the mk7 / mk7.5. However, issues such as those above would stop me from buying one. Seems that other current VAG vehicles that built on the MQB platform may also have the same - or similar - software issues to the mk8 Golf; I’ve read on the Seat Leon forum of owners having similar experiences, and I’ve seen references to software issues with the current model Audi A3, Skoda Octavia and VW Tiguan too.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
And more importantly IMHO, owners of the mk8 in the UK - and presumably other markets where the mk8 Golf is sold - have had to put up with numerous software related issues that VW seem to be slow to fix. The mk8 has been on sale for nearly two years in the UK and some other markets, so VW have had plenty of time to sort these issues out. Some of the issues that drivers have experienced seem to be specific to countries that drive on the left and measure speed in mph - e.g.
  • the car ‘reading’ mph speed limit signs as kph and applying the brakes without warning to slow the car down - e.g. speed limit 60 mph, car reads this as 60 kph so slows the car to 37 mph 😮. Potentially dangerous if this happens on a busy route if the driver of a vehicle behind is too close or has slow reaction times.
  • the car trying to prevent the driver overtaking slower moving vehicles because it ‘thinks’ the driver is trying to perform an illegal undertaking manoeuvre (it‘s confusing right hand drive / driving on the left with left hand drive / driving on the right).
There have been other software gremlins reported on other forum that aren’t driving on the left or mph/kph related - e.g.
  • Infotainment screens going blank or freezing up, preventing the operation functions that can only be accessed through the infotainment screen.
There’s a live discussion thread on mk8 gremlins over on the mk8 forum board over on the ‘R’ forum (VWROC.com), and at time of writing this post, that discussion thread is currently 101 pages long.

Some of the software fixes already released by VW seem to work in some cars but not others. There’s a major software update release rumoured to be happening before the end of the year which is meant to fix most of the issues. However, the end of the year is fast approaching and as far as I’m aware, the software release hasn’t happened yet.

It‘s a great shame that VW seem to have dropped the ball with the mk8; dynamically, it’s meant to be a great driver’s car and an improvement over the mk7 / mk7.5. However, issues such as those above would stop me from buying one. Seems that other current VAG vehicles that built on the MQB platform may also have the same - or similar - software issues to the mk8 Golf; I’ve read on the Seat Leon forum of owners having similar experiences, and I’ve seen references to software issues with the current model Audi A3, Skoda Octavia and VW Tiguan too.

Auto adjustment of my speed because the car doesn’t know how to read or local traffic laws. What happens when an American/Canadian Crosses the border and MPH/KMH switches? Or when a Britt/Frenchman goes on holiday to across the channel and MPH/KMH and side of road switches?

Anecdotally, undertaking a car saved my life once. I’d be dead if I didn’t choose to pass on the right. Badly injured if my car would have attempted to slow/stop me from the maneuver.

Last edited:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

I don't like the basic functions being in the infotainment screen either.
But the car is nice.
I did learn one thing about the sliders while playing around with them: They can be tapped instead of slid,
Each tap adds an increment.
It was easy to give rapid taps left or right to change temperatures, or raise/lower volume.
I'd still prefer physical controls, no doubt.
The system is a climatronic, where the HVAC in my GTI is not - so conceivably it's more of a set and forget than the system in my car.
As for the headlights, I keep mine in "auto" function anyway.
Again, give me physical audio and HVAC controls like Honda has done for sure.
But the whole car is nice enough that if I needed to replace my car, the MK8 would be at the top of the list.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Auto adjustment of my speed because the car doesn’t know how to read or local traffic laws. What happens when an American/Canadian Crosses the border and MPH/KMH switches? Or when a Britt/Frenchman goes on holiday to across the channel and MPH/KMH and side of road switches?

Anecdotally, undertaking a car saved my life once. I’d be dead if I didn’t choose to pass on the right. Badly injured if my car would have attempted to slow/stop me from the maneuver.
I dare say there’s the ability to change the vehicle settings to reflect the changes you’ve outlined in your post. Whether or not they’ll work correctly……hmm 🤔 - let’s hope so.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I’ve never used cruise control so really don’t care. My Mk7.5 occasionally slams on the brakes for shadows, so I already disable most of the safety nannies anyway.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

They need to beta test that stuff much better before it goes into production. Especially since it's a car with dangerous possibilities because of the bugs. It's not a smartphone that got released sooner than it should have.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The person in charge of VW's electronics was fired over the ID fiasco and Audi is now in charge of VW's electronics. I know Audi's systems work pretty well, maybe they'll unfuck VW's mess quickly.