GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid Life GTI Journey

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
That's a weird sale. If the person has gone as far as the checkout why give them $50 off of something they were going to buy anyway. You would think the sale would show up before checkout to entice someone to buy.
This is what checkout looks like. To take advantage of the $75 off you have to choose that option as well.
D41D13E9-ED0E-4E17-ACE2-CBAEE4D77E55.png

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I received my Accessport with the EQT stg 1 93 file but before I flash I wanted to bring my car to the dealer to see if they will address the water pump as I have been able to smell coolant since I got the car. Car is still under warranty and I figured I would do the smart thing and see if I can save some money.
I’m patiently waiting to see what a tuned GTI feels like as I’ve never been in one.
I have also noticed a very slight blip in power in 2nd gear at 3200 rpm. This is under normal acceleration. We’ll see if they have an answer for that.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I flashed the EQT stage 1 93 tune today. I wasn’t sure what to expect as I’ve never been in a tuned GTI. I was thinking I was going to tear the tires off the car but it’s bendy smooth. It feels like a completely normal GTI, if not smoother. I was surprised the first time I heard the DV squeak. I remembered the “ DV GO WOO WOO” comment someone made when asked what that sound was after they went stage 1.

I can see why people go down the rabbit hole with upgrades as it won’t take me long to need more power. IC is a must here in the hot and humid SE. Very much considering the Baun FMIC as I really like what I see from Jake.

I will be installing RS7 plugs tonight and then seriously looking into what clutch to upgrade to as I’m still on the stock unit.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
My morning was spent with Jake of Baun Performance while he installed his fmic on my GTI. I was impressed by his shop cleanliness and tool organization. He’s very meticulous and took his time.
He also installed a set of BFI stage 1 mounts.
I got to watch him fab up the hanger brackets on a downpipe he was finishing up as well. I don’t think it will be too terribly long before I place an order for one.
I like being able to shake the hand of the guy that took the time to personally create something for my car. That was an experience I had not had before today.
799C70E1-470F-4E79-B590-2DAC39F3356D.jpeg
1EE171F8-DAFD-4790-92F1-7305496C03FF.jpeg
B4A8C946-0F90-4E03-855A-16BBA63E6BAF.jpeg

My younger son loves to help in the garage so the front plate had to go. I’ll deal with the holes for now, no need to cover that beauty up.
@GTI Jake has better photos for sure.
5F89DF5D-1346-42A3-9CDD-C07134B307B3.jpeg

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
A lot has changed with my car in the past few months so I updated my initial post to reflect current modifications and a recent photo.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
My morning was spent with Jake of Baun Performance while he installed his fmic on my GTI. I was impressed by his shop cleanliness and tool organization. He’s very meticulous and took his time.
He also installed a set of BFI stage 1 mounts.
I got to watch him fab up the hanger brackets on a downpipe he was finishing up as well. I don’t think it will be too terribly long before I place an order for one.
I like being able to shake the hand of the guy that took the time to personally create something for my car. That was an experience I had not had before today.
View attachment 220633View attachment 220634View attachment 220636
My younger son loves to help in the garage so the front plate had to go. I’ll deal with the holes for now, no need to cover that beauty up.
@GTI Jake has better photos for sure. View attachment 220635
Those are/were Firehawks. I know that tread pattern anywhere.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Yes sir. They will be for sale along with the wheels once I clean them up.
I was gonna sell mine till I reinherited my old VR6 mk4 GTI which is coming Friday :D

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Been a while since I’ve had anything worth while updating on here. I’ve been in Michigan for work since late January and haven’t got to drive my GTI since then.
My clutch slipped in the cold early this year so that’s my next upgrade. Been looking at the Sachs kit on FCP for a while. I would love to go stage 2 and get a full Baun Stealth TBE but right now I need to focus on someone besides myself.
After realizing the car had been repaired and the DIB paint not matching on a few panels, it really started to bother me. I love the MK7 platform and need think about my long term goal with the car.
For now I’ll leave you with a picture of a rental car. Presidents Circle had its perks.
1424DAAA-BF7F-436F-B0E7-DB91F057B505.jpeg

Enrico Fermi Unit 1. Early US commercial Nuclear history is wild. Look it up. I’m at Unit 2 currently.

280D8ED5-1421-4FF7-BD56-9E008F7E6F8A.jpeg

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Been a while since I’ve had anything worth while updating on here. I’ve been in Michigan for work since late January and haven’t got to drive my GTI since then.
My clutch slipped in the cold early this year so that’s my next upgrade. Been looking at the Sachs kit on FCP for a while. I would love to go stage 2 and get a full Baun Stealth TBE but right now I need to focus on someone besides myself.
After realizing the car had been repaired and the DIB paint not matching on a few panels, it really started to bother me. I love the MK7 platform and need think about my long term goal with the car.
For now I’ll leave you with a picture of a rental car. Presidents Circle had its perks. View attachment 242329
Enrico Fermi Unit 1. Early US commercial Nuclear history is wild. Look it up. I’m at Unit 2 currently.

View attachment 242331

my uncle has a fetish for airplane crash stories, books, documentaries, etc.

after watching Chernobyl 10+ times and a NOVA special on Fukushima, I think I can safely say I am like him but with nuclear incidents, nuclear history etc.

got any particular events, programming I should be learning/enjoying?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
For now I’ll leave you with a picture of a rental car. Presidents Circle had its perks. View attachment 242329

View attachment 242331

are you a nuclear scientist, or other engineer?

Also - just read the fermi 1 incident. Sounds like the breeder type reactor was ill conceived from the git.

the first thing that jumped out to me reading the article, was the containment structure around the reactor.

In Chernobyl, when Legasov is reciting his testimony to the Russian prosecution at the trial of the plant leadership responsible for the meltdown, he explains that the crews who hit the emergency shutdown button were all unaware of a critical flaw with the shutdown: the tips of the control rods are made of graphite, instead of boron like the rest of the rod. This means when the emergency shutdown is used in a case of high reactivity, the first thing in the core accelerates reactivity rather than reduce it. That’s what led to the explosion at Chernobyl.

when he states this, that the tips are made of graphite rather than boron, the judge asks “why? Why would the tips be made of something that does the opposite of the intended function?”

his response is: “For the same reason we don’t use properly enriched fuels for our reactors, which is why western countries could tell we had a meltdown before they even took satellite pictures. For the same reason our reactors don’t have containment buildings like every reactor in every western country. It’s cheaper.”

now I am not confident a containment structure would’ve helped a whole lot in Chernobyl’s case. But it’s just another example of the differences between the soviets and the west.

Last edited:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
are you a nuclear scientist, or other engineer?

Also - just read the fermi 1 incident. Sounds like the breeder type reactor was ill conceived from the git.

the first thing that jumped out to me reading the article, was the containment structure around the reactor.

In Chernobyl, when Legasov is reciting his testimony to the Russian prosecution at the trial of the plant leadership responsible for the meltdown, he explains that the crews who hit the emergency shutdown button were all unaware of a critical flaw with the shutdown: the tips of the control rods are made of graphite, instead of boron like the rest of the rod. This means when the emergency shutdown is used in a case of high reactivity, the first thing in the core accelerates reactivity rather than reduce it. That’s what led to the explosion at Chernobyl.

when he states this, that the tips are made of graphite rather than boron, the judge asks “why? Why would the tips be made of something that does the opposite of the intended function?”

his response is: “For the same reason we don’t use properly enriched fuels for our reactors, which is why western countries could tell we had a meltdown before they even took satellite pictures. For the same reason our reactors don’t have containment buildings like every reactor in every western country. It’s cheaper.”

now I am not confident a containment structure would’ve helped a whole lot in Chernobyl’s case. But it’s just another example of the differences between the soviets and the west.
I am a Field Engineer / First line Supervisor with GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy. I started my nuclear career as a technician in 2013 after the printing industry went belly up in my area. We support refueling outages around the world. Being away from family is tough but I truly do enjoy my work. I have been to Nuclear sites in 5 foreign countries which enables me to experience different cultures, food and of course, cars.
If you haven’t read ‘Midnight in Chernobyl’. It’s a detailed description of why and how the accident happened and the aftermath.
- GE Hitachi is currently interviewing for Field Engineers. If you’re interested send me your email and I’ll send you the link.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
my uncle has a fetish for airplane crash stories, books, documentaries, etc.

after watching Chernobyl 10+ times and a NOVA special on Fukushima, I think I can safely say I am like him but with nuclear incidents, nuclear history etc.

got any particular events, programming I should be learning/enjoying?
The SL-1 and Windscale accidents are very interesting to read about. There’s a YouTube channel, Plainly Difficult, that has short videos on these and other industry events. I’m currently reading ‘We almost Lost Detroit’ about the Fermi 1 incident. The book is from 1975 and takes an opposing stance on nuclear but I learned a lot about the early accidents early in the book.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I used to deliver nuclear material used in testing for internal cancerous diseases . It sounds more dangerous than it was. We wore a device that collected any radioactivity in the air and it would be shut down if any radioactivity was present and. it never was. Likely much to do with the 100 lb) lead lined boxes. I had to carry 2 boxes at a time when possible because I box weighing 100 lbs was too lop sided