GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Do I really need OBD11?

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
Hello, been lurking here for some time. i have a 2017 alltrack manual transmission. I like to do my own maintenance but won’t be doing any coding. Would a OBD11 device be worth buying? The Ross tech device is out of my market due to price but I could swing the OBD11. I have an EDGE Insight reader for my Dodge Ram and its paid for itself many times over providing me information that dodge/Cummins didn’t think I needed to know. Would this device do something similar for my vw? I read posts where the brake calipers need to be reset via computer vs a large pair of channel locks on every other vehicle I have worked on. Are there other mx related items that would make this device a benefit to my tool box? I have poked around their website but it leaves more questions than answers.
thank you in advance

scooter

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you're not going to do any coding then no you don't need an OBDeleven. If you would like to be able to read and clear codes and much more just get an OBD2 dongle from Amazon for $20 and the Torque Pro app on your phone. It can do logging also and will work on any car.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Does any specific brand of dongle work better than others?
Not really. I got mine 20 years ago and it still works fine. It's really just to connect via Bluetooth to the Torque Pro app on your phone. The dongle is just the connection it's the app that does the work.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Sc0oter

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 alltrack se
Somewhat of a course reversal….. after reading several posts here, the obdeleven forum, and other places, I think I am going to get obdeleven starter model (green). This will open up several questions that I will open up in separate posts. I do appreciate any input.