GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler install question.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Integrated engineering V2 stock location

I did that exact same IC on my 2020 GTI and it took me about 8 hours completely by myself and taking my time to make sure everything went back in the exact same way and position it was in before the removal of the OE IC.

Attachments

• 20211022_143840.jpg
    20211022_143840.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 101

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
what everyone else already said - lift doesn't help. personally I would use jack/jack stands instead of ramps because I think it would be a little easier to remove everything with the front wheels off, but if all you have is ramps you'll be fine.

do it somewhere (garage, driveway), where you can leave it just in case you run into problems (ie clips breaking). if everything goes smoothly should take no longer than couple hours.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I don't know how you guys did it in a couple of hours on your own - you're magicians.
LOL no idea because it sounds like quite a process to do 🤣

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
I’d say it depends on your level of familiarity with the front end and how it goes together. My buddy was a vw technician and it took us maybe 2 hours to swap my intercooler in. We were on a lift with a toolbox tailored to vw cars.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I’d say it depends on your level of familiarity with the front end and how it goes together. My buddy was a vw technician and it took us maybe 2 hours to swap my intercooler in. We were on a lift with a toolbox tailored to vw cars.
Definitely. Dont stress if it takes you all day your first time. My partner and I can do em in about 90 minutes, but we've done over a hundred. Take my advice about using longer bolts on the crash bar and not removing the entire front end, it'll save you hours.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Just go FMIC. Looks cooler and far easier to install.

Some retired forum members will even fight tooth and nail saying they perform better :ROFLMAO:

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
Three things were challenging for me when doing it alone 1. Separating OE IC. Decided to break the famous clips as I had bought a few spares. 2. Separating OE radiator from OE IC. Decided to break the bracket on the OE IC side cause couldn't get the plastic tab to release. 3. Putting the IE intercooler into the position where the OE was located, due to being a heavy unit and 1 person handling is challenging.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Took me about 8hrs myself at a friends garage. I told him it was a 6hr job :ROFLMAO: Took off the entire front end broke some clips etc....Only ended up with one extra bolt!

If your installing yourself just get the FMIC. Way easier to install with a marginal performance difference.

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Not sure if you have Adaptive cruise control, but if you do, be extremely careful about making sure the sensor is mounted back in it's original place other wise you may wind up needing to get it calibrated at the dealer (not cheap).

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Took me about 8hrs myself at a friends garage. I told him it was a 6hr job :ROFLMAO: Took off the entire front end broke some clips etc....Only ended up with one extra bolt!

If your installing yourself just get the FMIC. Way easier to install with a marginal performance difference.
Marginal until you drive on a track and the radiator doesn't get enough airflow

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Marginal until you drive on a track and the radiator doesn't get enough airflow

bro just go on reddit and ask for logs u'll see an FMIC is better