GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Does my car have a tune?

thatmk7

Car(s)
Mk7 Vw Gti
I bought my car from a dealership and after I bought it I realized it had an aftermarket downpipe, also my car shifts at around 6800 RPM is that normal or is it possible my Gti is tuned from the past owner?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. Very possible it was tuned. Go back to the dealership and they can tell you if the ECU has been flash tuned.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If it hasn't been too long since you bought it and it ends up being tuned just know that any remaining warranty probably will be denied due to the tune. Maybe you will still have recourse against the dealer.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
If you have a DSG transmission, which it sounds like you do, there are two possible tunes, ECU and TCU. I don't think too many owners tune the TCU without tuning the ECU. Does your gearshift indicator show "D" and "S" when selected, or does it change when shifting (D1, D2, D3, etc.)? If so, then the TCU is tuned, and you should assume that the ECU is tuned as well. With a downpipe, probably Stage 2. You can call the major tuning vendors with your VIN to track it down. Start with APR as many VW dealers are APR dealers. Figure out exactly what is on your car, then go back to the dealer and figure out what you want to do.

thatmk7

Car(s)
Mk7 Vw Gti
If you have a DSG transmission, which it sounds like you do, there are two possible tunes, ECU and TCU. I don't think too many owners tune the TCU without tuning the ECU. Does your gearshift indicator show "D" and "S" when selected, or does it change when shifting (D1, D2, D3, etc.)? If so, then the TCU is tuned, and you should assume that the ECU is tuned as well. With a downpipe, probably Stage 2. You can call the major tuning vendors with your VIN to track it down. Start with APR as many VW dealers are APR dealers. Figure out exactly what is on your car, then go back to the dealer and figure out what you want to do.
Whenever i’m driving it just does the “D” and “S”. But i’m able to just call Apr and ask them if my Vin has gone in for a tune?

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
If you have a DP and no CEL, you are most likely tuned. Which DP? If it's a CTS catless, a shitbag most likely owned your car and you should return it.
You and diggs the only members of the CTS sucks international club?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You and diggs the only members of the CTS sucks international club?
They make shit products, and people that roll catless should be neutered. You get, what? 2hp more and you're doing that much more harm to the air that you share with everyone else. I was at the Starbucks drive through the other night and some old dude in one of those 70s muscle cars was infront of me, big cam, the whole thing shook. I could smell the fumes in my car with all my windows closed. I wanted to pull him out of the car and beat the living shit out of him.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
They make shit products, and people that roll catless should be neutered. You get, what? 2hp more and you're doing that much more harm to the air that you share with everyone else. I was at the Starbucks drive through the other night and some old dude in one of those 70s muscle cars was infront of me, big cam, the whole thing shook. I could smell the fumes in my car with all my windows closed. I wanted to pull him out of the car and beat the living shit out of him.
I have a few cts products on my car and they’re all v2. I think they tried to rush to market when the Mk7 was new and quality suffered. Other than the clamps I have no issues with their 3.5” catted downpipe.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I read the title quickly, and thought it said "Does my car have tuna?"

sheldon902

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI DSG
I was in the same boat. bought a 2017 GTI and I had a sneaking suspicion that it was tuned but, I never gave it much thought until I went for a repair and it was flagged by VW. Checked the carfax and after reading the history I noticed that it was in "for service" at a tuning shop a few hours away. So, I emailed them with the VIN and asked about it. Turns out it was Unitronic Stage 1 and no TCU tune. Getting a new flash next week...EQT stg 1 ECU/TCU and I'm pretty stoked :)