GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wastegate Actuator Adjustment

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you go to their website and find the HPA OEM+ IS38 it shows you everything they've done differently, I've attached the list here too. It definitely has had me running around, and I have sneekytuned. You've provided me a link before in my fourm, I've tried pretty much everything. I had some luck after I swapped the DV out and put the stock air box in, it was short lived though.
Obviously get what you want. Just know that there isn't any reason that yours can't be fixed so you don't get the EPC light. I had that problem when I had an IS38 and it turned out to be the tuners fault. But I'm not suggesting it is for Sneeky. I have one of his tunes and it's fine.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Obviously get what you want. Just know that there isn't any reason that yours can't be fixed so you don't get the EPC light. I had that problem when I had an IS38 and it turned out to be the tuners fault. But I'm not suggesting it is for Sneeky. I have one of his tunes and it's fine.
I know it can be fixed, I guess I'm also just having second thoughts on where I want to go with this build. I decided I don't need the top end to have a lot of aggressiveness, and I don't need to be reaching above 120mph quickly as I don't track the car. I may try another tuner if he still doesn't send me another file only to eliminate that as a possible cause.

I've seen some saying their cars just didn’t like Cobb tunes but I can't tell. The OTS IS20 tune worked fine on my IS20 but I have the same code on the OTS IS38 tune as I do with the Sneekytune file which is also created on Cobb Consolidated ROM, I don't think changing turbos would make a difference but I could be wrong. I'll look around a bit but could you recommend any tuner that could do a basic tune that's not created on Cobb Consolidated rom? Or is Sneekytuned my only option if I don't want to spend $$ on a protune yet?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I know it can be fixed, I guess I'm also just having second thoughts on where I want to go with this build. I decided I don't need the top end to have a lot of aggressiveness, and I don't need to be reaching above 120mph quickly as I don't track the car. I may try another tuner if he still doesn't send me another file only to eliminate that as a possible cause.

I've seen some saying their cars just didn’t like Cobb tunes but I can't tell. The OTS IS20 tune worked fine on my IS20 but I have the same code on the OTS IS38 tune as I do with the Sneekytune file which is also created on Cobb Consolidated ROM, I don't think changing turbos would make a difference but I could be wrong. I'll look around a bit but could you recommend any tuner that could do a basic tune that's not created on Cobb Consolidated rom? Or is Sneekytuned my only option if I don't want to spend $$ on a protune yet?
I would try an Off the shelf tune from EQT. I'm not saying the EPC is caused by the tune though. Sneeky knows what he's doing. Can you get someone to set the voltage for you on the WG? That's not necessarily the problem though. Make sure there are no boost leaks first. It's a tough problem to fix. Mine was a fuel problem because the tuner didn't know how to tune for my high pressure fuel pump.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I would try an Off the shelf tune from EQT. I'm not saying the EPC is caused by the tune though. Sneeky knows what he's doing. Can you get someone to set the voltage for you on the WG? That's not necessarily the problem though. Make sure there are no boost leaks first. It's a tough problem to fix. Mine was a fuel problem because the tuner didn't know how to tune for my high pressure fuel pump.
I'll check them out, thanks! I can get someone to set it for me but don't see why I would since I have no problem setting it myself and I just invested in a VCDS cable. It's been set at 3.3v for a few weeks since the ground is too soft to put it back on the ramps but once it freezes over I'm going to try 3.55v and see if it likes that instead.

I checked for boost leaks but I couldn't seem to locate any. Honestly I was thinking it could be the fuel pump because of what I state below but I didn't see how it would be related to P0045 Open Circuit and Stuck or P00AF and not have any HPFP specfic code for it. If I remember correctly the numbers on the LTFT (was told this is the HPFP trim) reading on Cobb haven't gone positive since before my IS20 went bad.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'll check them out, thanks! I can get someone to set it for me but don't see why I would since I have no problem setting it myself and I just invested in a VCDS cable. It's been set at 3.3v for a few weeks since the ground is too soft to put it back on the ramps but once it freezes over I'm going to try 3.55v and see if it likes that instead.

I checked for boost leaks but I couldn't seem to locate any. Honestly I was thinking it could be the fuel pump because of what I state below but I didn't see how it would be related to P0045 Open Circuit and Stuck or P00AF and not have any HPFP specfic code for it. If I remember correctly the numbers on the LTFT (was told this is the HPFP trim) reading on Cobb haven't gone positive since before my IS20 went bad.
Ask the tuner to look at your fuel situation when you send him a log to check out.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Ask the tuner to look at your fuel situation when you send him a log to check out.
I've sent him one prior when it was set at 3.6v but still I couldn't get a full wot log, I could only boost upto 2500rpms and then it cut off. I'll make sure to address this with EQT though, best case scenario is the tune was the issue the entire time.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I've sent him one prior when it was set at 3.6v but still I couldn't get a full wot log, I could only boost upto 2500rpms and then it cut off. I'll make sure to address this with EQT though, best case scenario is the tune was the issue the entire time.
I will say that mine was just like yours. I used a local tuner and had the EPC problem. When I went for my remote dyno tune I was getting from EQT I wanted the dyno operator to do one run on the current tune so I could compare and he couldn't do a single run because it would go to EPC limp mode. So I let EQT tune it anyway and no EPC problem so it was in my tune. I will be surprised if yours is the same outcome because Sneeky is a good tuner. I certainly hope that it gets fixed. I understand the frustration having been there.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I will say that mine was just like yours. I used a local tuner and had the EPC problem. When I went for my remote dyno tune I was getting from EQT I wanted the dyno operator to do one run on the current tune so I could compare and he couldn't do a single run because it would go to EPC limp mode. So I let EQT tune it anyway and no EPC problem so it was in my tune. I will be surprised if yours is the same outcome because Sneeky is a good tuner. I certainly hope that it gets fixed. I understand the frustration having been there.
Thanks for that, I really appreciate your input, and yes it has been very frustrating trying to diagnose this. I miss driving it how it should be driven. If you don't mind me asking do you remember what code you were getting with the bad tune? The first tune I got for my IS20 didn't work at all, I pulled out of the driveway and tried accelerating normally and the car stalled instantly, it was almost a really bad accident but luckily there was a driveway that I quickly could turn off into. My tuner sent me a new file right away and then it was fine but I don't recall what the code I was getting was.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks for that, I really appreciate your input, and yes it has been very frustrating trying to diagnose this. I miss driving it how it should be driven. If you don't mind me asking do you remember what code you were getting with the bad tune? The first tune I got for my IS20 didn't work at all, I pulled out of the driveway and tried accelerating normally and the car stalled instantly, it was almost a really bad accident but luckily there was a driveway that I quickly could turn off into. My tuner sent me a new file right away and then it was fine but I don't recall what the code I was getting was.
Don't remember the code just the EPC light. It was a few years ago.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yeah same here, 2018 for me. Thank you anyway though. I'm giving Andrew another chance, I told him I wanted brakeboost turned off and a max of 23psi on the new file. We'll see how that goes.

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Overboost conditions aren’t based on a xx threshold value, if the ecu is expecting to see 21 psi and see’s 25 you’ll get the condition….

Did you do a real boost leak tests? As noted above boost leaks can cause overboost conditions
I checked for leaks with soap and water on the vaccum line, charge pipes, throttle body and the throttle pipes with the engine running but no bubbles apeared. I have boosted ONCE over 15psi since I installed the IS38 which only happened after I put on my brand new stock DV that came with the new IS38. After that day it was back to limp mode every time I try to engage boost. I hit 29.7 psi on that pull with no overboost code, no codes or leaks at all which is why I assumed it was set high.

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I checked for leaks with soap and water on the vaccum line, charge pipes, and the throttle pipes with the engine running but no bubbles apeared.
That process is 100% not going to show a boost leak… at idle “running” you in a vacuum state and no boost, even reving the engine at idle won’t create enough pressure to show a leak unless it’s a gaping hole.

You need to pressurize the system and check for leaks.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
That process is 100% not going to show a boost leak… at idle “running” you in a vacuum state and no boost, even reving the engine at idle won’t create enough pressure to show a leak unless it’s a gaping hole.

And even that, apparently isn't enough sometimes...

SilverMK7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

How would I pressurize the system? That's not a smoke down test right? Sorry still new to all this

Last edited: