GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Side mirror compatibility: Highline & Golf R

mnyvr

Car(s)
2019 Golf Highline
Hi there folks,

I just bought a 2019 manual Highline with very low mileage. Sadly, not a week after buying it someone smacked my driver's side mirror. The glass is intact, thankfully but the housing, signal and cap are toast.

A replacement is really expensive and since I have to pay deductible of $500 + OEM upgrade (insurance only pays for aftermarket parts) I might as well explore other and less costly options.

Coincidentally, my shop has a matching side mirror from a new Golf R, whose owner replaced with folding units. The difference is my car has no Lane Assist; the cable for that would be left unconnected, of course. The housing/innards for the R unit is plastic, presumably for weight; mine is metal. Other than that, these appear identical.

My question, of course, is are these units compatible as far as fit? I can get the 'new' mirror for less than half the cost of a OEM replacement.

I very much appreciate your assistance here.

robo_remy

Car(s)
2017 GTI
I had my driver side mirror taken off by a school bus while parked a couple months back. Everything was broken.
01.jpg
Thankfully I didn't need to deal with insurance since they left a note, but I found buying the few required parts directly from the dealer, then performing the work myself, was actually quite affordable and came in well under the check that the District's coverage cut me for the loss. There are a few tutorials online that show how to do it, my start to finish was just around an hour. Cutting out the shop labor costs may make the OEM parts cost more palatable.
Another cost saver was going with the Golf R gloss black mirror covers (on both sides) vs. buying the primed cover and finding somebody to paint it ($199 US for both R mirror covers vs. $129+paint for one cover).
Just be careful, I found out the hard way that my passenger mirror was 90% delaminated from the heating element, and it broke when I barely touched it to sub out the passenger side mirror cover.

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know if all of the wiring in the Golf R housing will work interchangeably with your Highline, but honestly look into buying the new OEM parts and doing the work yourself.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Basic mirror wiring is the same whether you have side assist or not. The wiring for side assist is a separate deal, with separate connectors. If your car doesn't have side assist you can leave that unconnected, as you mentioned.

VW did switch from metal internals to plastic at some point. I had a set of folding mirrors that were metal inside, and my new set is plastic inside, nothing to worry about there. They all fit.

mnyvr

Car(s)
2019 Golf Highline
Basic mirror wiring is the same whether you have side assist or not. The wiring for side assist is a separate deal, with separate connectors. If your car doesn't have side assist you can leave that unconnected, as you mentioned.

VW did switch from metal internals to plastic at some point. I had a set of folding mirrors that were metal inside, and my new set is plastic inside, nothing to worry about there. They all fit.
Awesome. That is a huge relief to me. Thank you!!!

mnyvr

Car(s)
2019 Golf Highline
I had my driver side mirror taken off by a school bus while parked a couple months back. Everything was broken.
View attachment 230887
Thankfully I didn't need to deal with insurance since they left a note, but I found buying the few required parts directly from the dealer, then performing the work myself, was actually quite affordable and came in well under the check that the District's coverage cut me for the loss. There are a few tutorials online that show how to do it, my start to finish was just around an hour. Cutting out the shop labor costs may make the OEM parts cost more palatable.
Another cost saver was going with the Golf R gloss black mirror covers (on both sides) vs. buying the primed cover and finding somebody to paint it ($199 US for both R mirror covers vs. $129+paint for one cover).
Just be careful, I found out the hard way that my passenger mirror was 90% delaminated from the heating element, and it broke when I barely touched it to sub out the passenger side mirror cover.

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know if all of the wiring in the Golf R housing will work interchangeably with your Highline, but honestly look into buying the new OEM parts and doing the work yourself.
This is greatly appreciated. Going all OEM at the dealer will set me back about CDN$700 before labour, and that’s keeping my mirror! Buying the used R unit will save me $250 but I still need a painted cap. Good to know i can likely do this myself. Cheers.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
did you try Rock Auto? different car but I was amazed how cheap it was when Mrs Mud "removed" one off her CRV with the garage door. It was < $35 shipped

mnyvr

Car(s)
2019 Golf Highline
did you try Rock Auto? different car but I was amazed how cheap it was when Mrs Mud "removed" one off her CRV with the garage door. It was < $35 shipped
Didn’t know about them. Thank you. Terrific pricing, even with import duties….. ‘OE compatible’. I really would prefer OEM. :unsure:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
on the crv I picked one out that was made in same factory but not oem. I couldn't tell. Also look for used caps or black and they'll be cheapish. It's the painting that is expensive

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
A full set of power folding mirrors can be had for ~$300 from some of the vendors. The included caps will likely be white or black. Mine came with black caps but I've seen white in some of the listings. In any case mirror caps are cheap on eBay. Then get them painted some time later if you want.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Rockauto is the best. Shipping can be a little pricy sometimes but the savings you get on the parts more than cover the cost

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
If you want to save some cash and are looking to replace with the standard, non-power folding mirrors, I have various parts (more than you'll need) for sale in the classifieds, pretty much all OEM unless noted:

Mirror housing, caps, etc
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/fs-various-oem-side-mirror-parts.389500/

Glass
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/fs-aspherical-mirrors-un-tinted-non-dap.389504/
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/fs-blue-tint-non-dap-aspherical-mirrors.389503/

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Rockauto is the best. Shipping can be a little pricy sometimes but the savings you get on the parts more than cover the cost

Not always. You gotta shop around.

DSG fluid, for example, is cheaper through FCP Euro, even forgetting about the return deal. I just ordered a Powerstop brake rotor/pad set from another vendor. On sale, it was about $30 cheaper than Rock Auto because of the shipping weight.

Shop around.

mnyvr

Car(s)
2019 Golf Highline
Holy smokes. Thank you all. I love this site. First post and the response is terrific. Cheers! A lot to consider and plenty of possibilities outlined here for future parts requirements.