GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Golf R, outside rearview mirror blinding how to solve.

Jeremy777

Car(s)
MK7.5 GOLF R
If that's from the car behind you (in the photo), your mirror is angled too far in. If the mirror is properly adjusted, you shouldn't be blinded from behind unless the car behind has tires on the painted lines. I've had similar issues before and after a driving school course (pre-internet) the instructor taught us the "proper" way to have you mirrors. Haven't had any issues in years, and certainly not with this car.

Sit in driving position, lean your head over an inch or two, then move the left mirror out until you can only barely see the rear fender flare, then angle down ~10% BELOW the horizon. There are loads of youtube videos (insurance comp, enthusiests, dealers, etc) on how to properly adjust your mirrors.

If you are already in the position, then the issue is something other than the mirror and changing them will not help.
Believe me, this is the problem of the mirror. The mirror is not equipped with anti-glare function, so it can cause glare; I also have a Lexus, and that car has automatic anti-glare function.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Believe me, this is the problem of the mirror. The mirror is not equipped with anti-glare function, so it can cause glare; I also have a Lexus, and that car has automatic anti-glare function.
Why don't you just switch the mirror to OEM?

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Guy we drive the same car, I had this happen once and I literally moved the mirror a bit, problem solved. Mirrors are mirrors, there's no problem with them when angled properly, which yours isn't

Edit: The problem here is user error, not the mirrors
This^^

RobertJG25

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf 1.4 TSI
If multiple people are telling you what your solution is and you can't accept that, you are actually the problem. Just try angling your mirrors as I and nosmirk have suggested before buying parts unnecessarily.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
What seems to be in play here is a driver if a different car with auto dimming mirrors that compensate for his lack of proper adjustment. And make no mistake, 90% of drivers do not have their mirrors properly set.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
center your car in the lane instead of hugging the right line.....hard to tell from picture but you do seem to be too far to the right.

Police will pull up behind you 1-2' to your left for two reasons.
1. to block you from getting hit
2. to use your side view mirror to bounce their headlights into your face so they can see you

and proper mirror adjustment eliminates 99% of blind spot

Last edited:

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Mirrors look like theyre pointed too far in toward the center of the car. I adjust mine so its just past the side of the car and have no issues with headlight glare

1637165582042.png

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
The people saying the mirrors are adjusted wrong - that's your OPINION. I prefer the side mirrors to also show behind for various reasons, so don't bother telling me I'm wrong too.

Answer the OP and don't provide stupid diagrams.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Try posting on the vortex forum and see what they say.
And the answer is adjust your mirror.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
The people saying the mirrors are adjusted wrong - that's your OPINION. I prefer the side mirrors to also show behind for various reasons, so don't bother telling me I'm wrong too.

Answer the OP and don't provide stupid diagrams.
You can’t handle the truth. Not our fault.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can't believe something so dumb ass simple ever made it to a thread. The drivers license test must have been excruciating. 😂