GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutchless ignition update: solved (maybe)

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
BTW, my rig is now installed one full year. Still works every time.

I'm thinking about doing the next logical step; putting in a remote start. There's a plug and play model for dsg cars, I think. Might see if that will do it.

applen

niquidlitrogen
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
BTW, my rig is now installed one full year. Still works every time.

I'm thinking about doing the next logical step; putting in a remote start. There's a plug and play model for dsg cars, I think. Might see if that will do it.
Can you update your tinkercad link? I got 404'd

Can't wait to check this out. Thanks for the great writeup!

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Subscribed. As of 12/20/2020 the Ledex solenoid spring kit is out of stock.

I purchased the hardware and other bits mentioned in this thread from Amazon and will have extra. I'll be able to put together 8 hardware kits with the following parts if anybody is interested:

1 pair x 3mm aluminum socket head allen bolts with aluminum lock nuts
1 round rocker switch
1 pair each 6mm and 8mm magnets

All for the price of $5 shipped within the continental US. Hope that doesn't break any rules about selling stuff. You'll still need the rest of the parts, but won't have to buy more than what you need.

send me a message if interested.

Otherwise, thanks to the OP and others who have been working through this!

Can I get these from you locally at some point?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
so I haven't read this thread in a while.....outside the box/Yankee Farmer suggestion.

Why not just run switched 12vdc directly to starter solinoid? Depending on where VW cut ckts you prob still have power everywhere else needed as car runs regardless of clutch pedal position. You'll still have anti-theft from lack of key and all that turns on (engine modules). No idea but this may be a simple solution. It should be easy enough to try

Mud
did anyone ever try it this way?

TrinityJay

Car(s)
Octavia vRS
Greetings fellow VAG enthusiasts 👋 I've stumbled upon this thread while searching for a clutch bypass solution, what a shame it can't just be coded out 🤬 Seeing the required MacGyvering involved with this mod I was worried my Octavia might use a different set of pedals than detailed here, which it thankfully does not, however once I got my head in the footwell it occurred that I face a different problem-

20210906_110456.jpg

Obviously this mod would be a right bastard to fit to my RHD Škoda, if even possible. Seeing the wiring for the sensor(/s?) there though....if one were to capture the sensor output values and match it with the triggers in VCDS, in theory it should be possible to build a simple logic circuit that just tells the ECU what it wants to hear. No VCDS for me unfortunately, so just thinking out loud here.

Hats off to the OP though, good little mod. I tried a ghetto version by holding a magnet affixed to a screwdriver in the appropriate spot, and the car briefly cranked but did not start so there's certainly some precision required. Did the same when I tried to start it 'properly' with magnet removed, even after cycling the ignition a few times 🤔 I locked it up and let it sit for 5mins, was fine after that. Sigh...missing my old Peugeot hothatch that'd happily crank with feet off the pedals and in gear, no questions asked! 😉

studfreeman

Car(s)
2017 GTI S
The file itself is attached to the first post.

For some reason Windows yells at me that it's empty...not sure how or why but figured I'd let ya know. Also thanks for sharing your experience on implementing clutch-in bypass. The posts / videos on your design were really helpful. I'm about to design my own interpretation of your idea.

For anyone else wondering, here's another photo of where the magnet needs to go, in case you're like me and needed to try with a couple magnets on a stick first.

1636507258778.png

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
For some reason Windows yells at me that it's empty...not sure how or why but figured I'd let ya know

It seems you're right. I'll see about redoing that. I don't visit the forum much these days, I'm only here now looking into possible reasons I'm getting overboost code / limp mode on my e48 IS38 swap.

For the record, the clutch less ignition mod is coming up on two years since install. Still works 100%.

Clumsy me

Car(s)
Audi 8V -Manual swap
Hello everyone I am hoping someone could help me out. I have recently manual swapped my audi s3 here in the US. I believe I am the first to do this and am going through some of the final coding pains to make this a 100% completed swap. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of where the clutch position wires go to? I am trying to do the reverse of this mod and add this feature in but when my car starting life as DSG I dont have a plug hanging to connect to the pedal.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Here are some snips... G476 is the clutch position sensor. Pin 1 just goes to ground. Pin 5 ends up at fuse SC20 (Snip 3), but would be easier to tie in at TIUL 17g pin 6 (Snip 4). These are drawings for a 6MT Golf TDI though, YMMV. Maybe someone will post the part from Snip 1 for a non-TDI. I would want to check the wires that go to the ECU (pin 2 and 4 from G476). I would not expect the power/ground/wire to the ABS to be different.

Attachments

• Snip 1.JPG
    Snip 1.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Snip 2.JPG
    Snip 2.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Snip 3.JPG
    Snip 3.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Snip 4.JPG
    Snip 4.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 91

wascally wabbitt

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I refined the model Ridebjj originally made. It matches his dimensions exactly except I added a 'back foot' which may or may not come in handy for fine-tuning position with shims. I'll upload a carbon copy of his when I get a chance.

It is now also a single body meaning it will be compatible with automatic quoting systems. I have it on order from Xometry, should be here and installed in a couple weeks.

I also changed the mounting holes to M3 tap drill size, so anyone inclined could tap them for ~5 threads of engagement. You could add a nut at the back or use Loctite 222 if you want, but 5 threads should probably be fine

Attachments

• solenoid_mount_mar15_2022.zip
    213.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited: