GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Problems/questions about gas mileage

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Those of you getting 40 or more MPG must be coasting downhill behind a semi. At 70-75 MPH I get about 32 MPG and in day to day mixed driving about 27 MPG. Car is stock except for Michelin AS4 tires. I got better gas mileage on the OEM Hankooks.
I thought the modes were a gimmick at first but it turns out being in eco mode and not going above 70 mph can make a huge difference. Other wise it’s usually 29-32 mpg for me in normal mode cruising at 75-80.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks. IMO the modes are gimmicks when it comes to steady state cruising. At least in a MT GTI.
You're right. If you have cruise control set to 70 MPH or whatever it won't matter what mode you're in. It's going to take the exact same amount of fuel to maintain that speed regardless of the mode.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
You're right. If you have cruise control set to 70 MPH or whatever it won't matter what mode you're in. It's going to take the exact same amount of fuel to maintain that speed regardless of the mode.
THIS^^^at highway speeds with the cruise set your RPM will remain constant, so the modes really don't apply. Sport mode around town is where you will eat up your gas. The car will always be idling at a higher RPM using more gas and the throttle response will be quicker. Mine is in SPORT about 50% of the time. If the traffic is heavy and really no way to be passing slow cars, it is just a waste of gas . The rev matching on downshifts can get pretty annoying in stop and go with allot of lights and stop signs as well.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Higher idle? Is that a DSG thing? I really haven't ever had my car in anything but Sport (with the Soundaktor disabled) since buying it, but I don't recall that it raises the idle in a manual car. Faster throttle response just makes it easier to engage gears, so I can't see that I'm losing efficiency there.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Higher idle? Is that a DSG thing? I really haven't ever had my car in anything but Sport (with the Soundaktor disabled) since buying it, but I don't recall that it raises the idle in a manual car. Faster throttle response just makes it easier to engage gears, so I can't see that I'm losing efficiency there.
Mine does not raise the idle in Sport mode. And doesn't when on the OEM DSG tune or the EQT DSG tune.

OceanJack

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I think he means it just sits in a lower gear most of the time, raising the rpms.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
I think he means it just sits in a lower gear most of the time, raising the rpms.
No I meant what I said. If I am at a stop light, foot on brake, in regular mode that car will idle below 1000 RPM in first gear. If I pull back on the gear shift to put it in sport mode, the RPM jump up 300-400 RPM, to about 1200 or so. It will remain like that at every stop while I am in sport mode. If I take it out of sport mode, it will go back to below 1000 rpms when sitting at lights or stops signs. Sorry if I confused folks by using the word idle. The car is in gear, the gas is not being applied however.

Last edited:

Bzeen

Car(s)
2018 vw gti 6m
The only mods I noticed from previous owner are a turbo inlet pipe and a pipe going into the stock airbox (both from ECS) with a k&n filter. Those are the only ones I noticed from previous owner, I didn’t notice anything else major but they’re could be something else I guess. I did do an OBD11 scan and it said there was a fault from the sound actuator that says it’s static, not sure what it is but sounds bad…
K&N filter is not a good mod. They actually allow more crap to enter the engine. Stock also flows better.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
That’s interesting. No change in idle speed with a manual between the three modes, I checked it yesterday. Probably the first time my car had been in ECO mode.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
That’s interesting. No change in idle speed with a manual between the three modes, I checked it yesterday. Probably the first time my car had been in ECO mode.
Yeah, I can't be the only one with DSG who's car does this. Somebody else on here with DSG needs to chime in :)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
No I meant what I said. If I am at a stop light, foot on brake, in regular mode that car will idle below 1000 RPM in first gear. If I pull back on the gear shift to put it in sport mode, the RPM jump up 300-400 RPM, to about 1200 or so. It will remain like that at every stop while I am in sport mode. If I take it out of sport mode, it will go back to below 1000 rpms when sitting at lights or stops signs. Sorry if I confused folks by using the word idle. The car is in gear, the gas is not being applied however.
It shouldn't do that. Idle should be about 750 and if the fan is on it raises the idle about 100 RPM. Trans mode shouldn't change it.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
It shouldn't do that. Idle should be about 750 and if the fan is on it raises the idle about 100 RPM. Trans mode shouldn't change it.
I am putting this is quotes because I found it on another VW forum sight. Me thinks you are mistaken or I am not the only one who has noticed this.

"
With DSG, engine idles at 1200 only when selector is in S or manual mode on first gear. Don’t know why, I would hate to think it’s regularly starting in 2nd, but that’s just what I observed. Maybe the clutch disengages when stopped on D. I noticed the same thing you noticed, but for me it’s actually something that I don’t mind, maybe even useful for economy reasons.

Edit: I should mention that it’s known that when you put the car into race mode, it changes to “S”, and when you restart the car, even if it’s in race mode, the transmission goes back to “D”"

Later in the thread, someone posted this:

"This is normal and by design. When the car is in sport or race mode, and the car is in gear, the engine will hold revs at around 1200 rpm, which is about 400 rpm higher than normal. This is to minimize lag off the line."

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I am putting this is quotes because I found it on another VW forum sight. Me thinks you are mistaken or I am not the only one who has noticed this.

"
With DSG, engine idles at 1200 only when selector is in S or manual mode on first gear. Don’t know why, I would hate to think it’s regularly starting in 2nd, but that’s just what I observed. Maybe the clutch disengages when stopped on D. I noticed the same thing you noticed, but for me it’s actually something that I don’t mind, maybe even useful for economy reasons.

Edit: I should mention that it’s known that when you put the car into race mode, it changes to “S”, and when you restart the car, even if it’s in race mode, the transmission goes back to “D”"
All I can say is I've ridden in numerous DSG cars and none did that.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
All I can say is I've ridden in numerous DSG cars and none did that.
Maybe those are broken? somebody else posted this

""This is normal and by design. When the car is in sport or race mode, and the car is in gear, the engine will hold revs at around 1200 rpm, which is about 400 rpm higher than normal. This is to minimize lag off the line.""