GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTi PP at VIR

tigeo

Autocross Champion
IS38 Wastegate Voltage

I’m in Engine/Live Values

Is charge pressure actuator, acknowledgment the right parameter I’m looking for?
When I watch the DAP video he selects Charge air pressure control valve unconditional voltage sensor. I cannot find that on my OBD11.

View attachment 228704
Car on/not running. The 2 numbers I look at are the charge pressure acknowledgement and the lower stop value. IS38 should be at ~2 and ~3.6 respectively in that case. If you have an issue with the WG you should be getting a code.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
That was with the car off.
Im not getting a code. Wanted to rule this out as a possibility.
The lower and upper values are in the picture.

Just ran a log. Will take a look at it. Saw 41psi in 4th and 5th gear. This was a short burst of WOT. Unlike sustained WOT on track.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
That was with the car off.
Im not getting a code. Wanted to rule this out as a possibility.
The lower and upper values are in the picture.

Just ran a log. Will take a look at it. Saw 41psi in 4th and 5th gear. This was a short burst of WOT. Unlike sustained WOT on track.
Ah ok, I believe that is correct then, the 2 for acknowledgement was for my IS20. Can you upload your log to datazap? What elevation/location are you for the atm correction for that boost?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
761ft above sea level.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
14.31psi atmospheric pressure at 761ft

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
@Mini7 question on the Ohlins - do you get what feels like underdamped motion coming to a stop in normal street driving? 3dm was supposed to revalve my rears for stiffer spring rate but I definitely feel underdamped especially at low shaft speeds. Before I rip 'em off and send them back to Barry to revalve and check just want to make sure I'm not being overly sensitive!

I might follow your lead on the swift 7"+helper, I'd love to be a touch lower but I'm out of preload at full droop with 8".

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I can’t say that I do.

Low shaft speeds are high speed corners. High shaft speeds is when I hit a bump or take curb, which is when the Ohlins makes use of there cleverly designed dual valve to bleed fluid and absorb the “bump”.

Remind me what spring rates you went with front and rear? Also where do you run the shocks on the street? How many clicks from full stiff F/R?
I didn’t like the ride when I went full soft. Now I just leave them at 5/5. Not the greatest on broken asphalt but the damping is better and on the highway the ride is good.

Going to the 7” rear got my rear ride back in line. I’m 26.2” FTG front and rear. That’s with an 8” front. I have 8k and 9k front springs in 7”. I’m thinking of bumping up to 9k in the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: q74

tigeo

Autocross Champion
@Mini7 - I see you have PowerBrake BBK listed in your sig. Have any pics of that? Powerbrake makes the APR BBK I just got.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Mini7 based on experience if your data log shows identical boost requested & boost actual that’s good, but also verify the WG duty cycle isn’t maxed out to achieve that.

Another probability is a bad injector. If one is bad (dumping fuel) the other three will over compensate resulting in a dangerous condition where one hole is flooded & three are lean. Easy way to test this theory is pull the plugs for inspection right after that 3-4th gear data log with minimum idle time afterwards.

Or vise versa, could have one cylinder lean and three rich.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Actual Boost is following Specified Boost. There is some lag here and there. Logged on the highway so did some 4th and 5th gear pulls to load the engine. Figured if I had a boost leak it would show here. Did the same in 3rd.
DF16B3F1-5BDC-4F82-B9E0-2DE4A7C98BDE.png

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Mini7 based on experience if your data log shows identical boost requested & boost actual that’s good, but also verify the WG duty cycle isn’t maxed out to achieve that.

Another probability is a bad injector. If one is bad (dumping fuel) the other three will over compensate resulting in a dangerous condition where one hole is flooded & three are lean. Easy way to test this theory is pull the plugs for inspection right after that 3-4th gear data log with minimum idle time afterwards.

Or vise versa, could have one cylinder lean and three rich.
I didn’t measure WG duty cycle.
Need to check whether I can measure injector duty cycle on OBD11.
I know I got some fuel dilution based on my oil sample after the event. I’ve seen an uptick in fuel% after going to the track from past samples. Just not this high. In the 4% range vs 6.25%. May be the fueling demands of the IS38 vs IS20 but it is a good check to eliminate a variable.

Im not a tuner but it appears that my AFRs may be a fraction lean. 13.2 at 28psi corrected boost. Target under full boost should be around 12.5 AFR if I remember correctly.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
@Mini7 - I see you have PowerBrake BBK listed in your sig. Have any pics of that? Powerbrake makes the APR BBK I just got.
They do. I need to dig up the photos. I may have a link in the first page to the install.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
They do. I need to dig up the photos. I may have a link in the first page to the install.
Ok see them from the link. I don't see anywhere where you can buys those? Same as APR but with smaller rotors. Which pads are using?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I bought them direct from PB. I wanted something that would fit under a 17” wheel. They work through their Dealer network. The 350x34 6-Piston BBK will fit under the Apex 17x9 SM-10. Had the wheels been available 3-yrs ago, I would have gone with the APR BBK.

I use PowerBrakes PB13 compound on track.