GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'21 GTI Impressions, Hits, & Misses

perryis5150

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI S
They were streakier than the wipers on the '91 Lada Niva I used to have. Big wide wet streaks, little narrow strips... those wipers did it all from day 1. The first few months I checked over and over because I was sure something was stuck to the edge of the blade.

A new pair of Bosch are perfect.

That's funny you said that. I've used several different brands of wipers and I keep going back to OEM.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Man I put my Oakley Radarlocks in there and am able to close it. How big sunglasses do you wear?
I have 1 pair about the size of a pair of Oakleys, and 1 pair that's a little slimmer.

Neither one sits in that cubby in any direction that lets the door close, not even close. I used to have a pair of frameless, rimless glasses with titanium wire frames that might have fit; they folded pretty flat.

Is my cubby smaller because of the lane assist camera and all that hardware up there? IDK.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
I have 1 pair about the size of a pair of Oakleys, and 1 pair that's a little slimmer.

Neither one sits in that cubby in any direction that lets the door close, not even close. I used to have a pair of frameless, rimless glasses with titanium wire frames that might have fit; they folded pretty flat.

Is my cubby smaller because of the lane assist camera and all that hardware up there? IDK.
Maybe it is, has to be I guess, because Radarlocks are not small sun glasses:)

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
One of the things that made the GTI so endearing over the years is simplicity and function. My 2020 is laid out perfectly in most regards, and pretty easy to get along with.

This is what happens when you transfer design responsibilities to those that look at what others did, and fail to look at why they changed back. I would not be happy with the new GTI, it would bug me to tears.

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
One of the things that made the GTI so endearing over the years is simplicity and function. My 2020 is laid out perfectly in most regards, and pretty easy to get along with.

This is what happens when you transfer design responsibilities to those that look at what others did, and fail to look at why they changed back. I would not be happy with the new GTI, it would bug me to tears.

Those minor annoyances I would get past over time. I would not be surprised if they bring back some buttons in the first refresh though. They took it too far. From most the reviews I have seen, the driving aspect of the Mrk 8 is loads better than the 7.5.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Every time the wife gets in the car, she goes crazy complaining of the lack of space for her to put her giant phone, giant sunglass case, purse, extra water bottle, and another bag of who knows what just because you never know.

Of course I tell her she can throw the majority of it all in the back but she says no, she wants it all up front. Like, wtf. I tell her, listen, I got this car because I'm happy with it and don't turn my front seats into a closet. In no way does it need to please my passenger that rides in it MAYBE once per month, lol. (sorry, married life passive aggressive rant).

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Every time the wife gets in the car, she goes crazy complaining of the lack of space for her to put her giant phone, giant sunglass case, purse, extra water bottle, and another bag of who knows what just because you never know.

Of course I tell her she can throw the majority of it all in the back but she says no, she wants it all up front. Like, wtf. I tell her, listen, I got this car because I'm happy with it and don't turn my front seats into a closet. In no way does it need to please my passenger that rides in it MAYBE once per month, lol. (sorry, married life passive aggressive rant).
Divorce

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Those minor annoyances I would get past over time. I would not be surprised if they bring back some buttons in the first refresh though. They took it too far. From most the reviews I have seen, the driving aspect of the Mrk 8 is loads better than the 7.5.
Don't know why manufacturers would do this. Honda did the same thing and added buttons on the next year's model just as you said.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Don't know why manufacturers would do this. Honda did the same thing and added buttons on the next year's model just as you said.

I think it just lends to the idea that it is more technological with everything on a screen and lack of buttons everywhere. Yet some buttons are a hella lot more convenient than a screen. Especially for some of the most common tasks. I rather not have to fumble or move my eyes to make sure I'm hitting the right spot on a screen when I can just feel for a button that I know is always in the same spot.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think it just lends to the idea that it is more technological with everything on a screen and lack of buttons everywhere. Yet some buttons are a hella lot more convenient than a screen. Especially for some of the most common tasks. I rather not have to fumble or move my eyes to make sure I'm hitting the right spot on a screen when I can just feel for a button that I know is always in the same spot.
Agreed. Especially the volume button.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The volume button doesn't bother me nearly as much as the laggy, awkward interface. The ID4 MIB3 looks horrible and has seemingly no satisfied customers. I think this is a much bigger issue than haptic buttons and lack of a physical volume knob. Until they sort out the MIB3 as a whole, the Mk8 is going to be a challenge.

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

Facts of life. It's like starting out the night asking a woman "Where do you want to go to eat tonight?" That's a question that never should be asked.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie

I don't know if there's a single gain in that interior.
Well, maybe the seats...

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn

You know, once in a long while I wonder why I'm still single; it's not like getting coupled is difficult.

Then I remember.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I don't mind the low brow line on the front of the Mk8. I don't mind the rear. I think the Mk8 R and Golf look OK.

That lower grille on the GTI is absolute dogshit. Hideous in every respect, not the least of which is those cheap looking 5-point hex shaped fog lights.

The designer and their supervisor should be flogged in the town square, after they're both made to choke down a whole bag of stale dicks.

Let's never discuss the interior.