GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Questions about warranty and tuning my GTI

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
^^^I gave a like before people complained about leaving power on the table
I get that, but to those that do not track their car...where are you gonna use that power? The car is plenty quick from the factory. Merging and overtaking on the highway is not going to be a problem. Tuning is just increasing the probability of getting speeding tickets. I really do not see where it is worth the risk to push the car close to its limits...unless you just have allot of extra cash to fix things if they break:)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I get that, but to those that do not track their car...where are you gonna use that power? The car is plenty quick from the factory. Merging and overtaking on the highway is not going to be a problem. Tuning is just increasing the probability of getting speeding tickets. I really do not see where it is worth the risk to push the car close to its limits...unless you just have allot of extra cash to fix things if they break:)
Ever heard of a little thing called "fun"? Doesn't seem like it

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Where am I going to use that power? To beat you. 😂

EricsVdub

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Exp pkg
OP, only you can decide for yourself which is more important to you. Enjoying the extra power the tune provides, or the peace of mind of having the manufacturers' warranty without the risk of being tuned. Everyone else is going to have their own opinions for themselves, but you have to decide which you're more comfortable with.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
The car is plenty fun out the door. I have no issue what other folks do if they want to track their car. I also know that public roads is not a place to be having that fun!
Its even more fun with a tune. I almost never even break the speed limit but having the extra acceleration is worth it for me. No need to rain on peoples parade

sstarrx2

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI S DSG
Its even more fun with a tune. I almost never even break the speed limit but having the extra acceleration is worth it for me. No need to rain on peoples parade
Was not raining on anybody's parade, just suggested to OP that he is not obligated to tune is car..its his choice. Just so you know...police can pull you over for excessive acceleration whether you are breaking the speed limit or not...but yeah I like acceleration too.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I see. Thanks for the help. I’m so uncertain on what to do…
Don’t be uncertain. It’s pretty simple. You either stay stock, no concerns over your warranty. Or you tune, and accept the likelihood that something probably WONT happen. But - if something DOES happen, you need to be prepared to spend the money to fix something that would’ve been covered.

there are 2 “have your cake and eat it too” options: JB4, and APR Plus. JB4 retains factory ECU tune but requires removal of device before bringing into dealer for servicing or repair. APR Plus is a $1000 Warrantied Stage 1 tune from APR where you are covered by APR if something goes wrong. You just have to prove you got your oil change with 502/508 (depending on your factory requirement) every 5K miles instead of 10K, and only use APR parts for engine/exhaust/transmission related hardware. Can still use non-APR for suspension/wheels.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Hey everyone, just bought a 2019 GTI and I’m new to the modding/tuning scene and new to the community aswell. Went to my VW dealership yesterday to get an oil change and saw they were selling unitronic parts including the tuning equipment and also IE tuning equipment. When I asked about why they were selling it I was told by one of the workers that “yes it does void your warranty, but we’re not gonna screw you for buying our stuff. We would only find it if we were to really look for it or if you told us to look for a tune.” This intrigued me and has had me thinking. I’m wanting to daily drive my car but also have some extra power to have some more fun but I’m unsure on what to really spend my money on. I know JB4 is supposedly safe from warranty and safer but I know that a lot of people prefer the flash tunes and stuff from unitronic and the only reason I was really considering it is bc of what the worker told me at the dealership yesterday. Should I put any weight into what he said? Or should I just get a jb4 until warranty is over? I’m looking for any kind of help or tips and tricks, thanks!!!

My advice: Drive your car as it is for a while (months) and see how much you enjoy it as it is before you fall to the pressures of tuning it.
I'll go on the guess that your GTI is the hottest car you've had to date, no? Mine is.
So, enjoy that.
When it comes to tuning, ask yourself: "Can I really utilize that anyway?"
Or, if you tuned - what would you be doing with it?
Blasting down the highway that much faster?
Passing that car that much quicker?
Is it worth the warranty risk and the ticket risk?
I'm happier with the jb1 off of my car (it's on ebay for $200.00) than I was when it was on, because I'm that much calmer.
I just enjoy the car for what it is.