GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone read any good books lately?

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Oh shit. Transall Saga and Hatchet were my jam. RIP.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
pretty cool book that just came out was "A hunter gatherers guide to the 21st century' by brett and heather weinstein.

how not to die was a great book as well

currently reading 'cosmos' and 'capitalism: how it really works".

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Oh shit. Transall Saga and Hatchet were my jam. RIP.
yes! was transall saga the one where a guy goes for a hike, passes out and believes he was abducted into some alien world for a while? it was by the author anyway

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
yes! was transall saga the one where a guy goes for a hike, passes out and believes he was abducted into some alien world for a while? it was by the author anyway

That's the one!! Loved that book so much.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Good one. I thought it got a little weak towards the end but overall really like it. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay is another Pulitzer winner I really enjoyed.
I read this over vacation (VT lake house rental!) and enjoyed it.

I also read Neal Stephenson's Seven Eve's. It was good but I wish the ending wasn't so abrupt. He has gotten into real long books and this one would have been better (imho) as two 600 page books rather than one 900 page. I was about 7/8's through it and enjoying it when I started thinking it was going to say "to be continued...." I hadn't liked on of his books for a while but this was good. Hard SF with some thought provoking concepts

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T

I also read Neal Stephenson's Seven Eve's. It was good but I wish the ending wasn't so abrupt. He has gotten into real long books and this one would have been better (imho) as two 600 page books rather than one 900 page. I was about 7/8's through it and enjoying it when I started thinking it was going to say "to be continued...." I hadn't liked on of his books for a while but this was good. Hard SF with some thought provoking concepts
Lol I downloaded that one to read and when I opened it I was like whooaaaaaa. I don;t have the time for this one right now hah.
So it is on the backlog.

I just started James Patterson's (never read a single book of his to date) The Noise since it's spooky season.
Just finished Terminal by Jack Carr.

Turbongr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7

Yeah man......my exwife gave me AAoKaC for xmas one year. I started it on a flight to Germany and then bowed out of some her family stuff when we got there to finish. I was pleasantly surprised. Tried Stephenson one time and it didn't grab me for some reason. Was one of his early big ones.

I've really fallen out of reading and need to get back in. Thinking of picking up some Bernard Cornwell. Dude can write. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Love Vt lake houses. Fond memories of sneaking a row boat out in the middle of the night w/ a bag of dirt weed and an apple to smoke it through.

autonoob

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2015 Volkswagen Golf
I am currently reading Everything is F*cked by Mark Mason. I had so much fun ready The Subtle Art of Not Giving a **** that's why I bought the other one.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Did you like Station Eleven? it has been on my list but I keep passing it up.
Also, did you read Blake Crouch's Recursion? If you like Dark Matter you would like this one too. But I'm not sure it was AS good....
Just finished Recursion. It wasn't as much of a surprise as the whole Dark Matter thing, but I enjoyed it more overall. Really good book. I'm sure it's nothing like the books, but now I want to watch Wayward Pines to save myself the time of reading those.

I will also at least try watching Station Eleven next week, it could be good, or it could just be really boring and dark.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Just finished Recursion. It wasn't as much of a surprise as the whole Dark Matter thing, but I enjoyed it more overall. Really good book. I'm sure it's nothing like the books, but now I want to watch Wayward Pines to save myself the time of reading those.

I will also at least try watching Station Eleven next week, it could be good, or it could just be really boring and dark.
Never watched the show but it has always been on my list.
Just started The Apollo Murders written by former commander of the ISS, Chris Hadfield.
Definitely a slow start, and many days where I couldn't find the time to read, but 200 pages in and it is finally starting to pick up a bit lol.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Didn’t want to start a separate thread just for automotive books. Currently reading ‘Ran When Parked’. I don’t recall how I stumbled across this book but so far so good.

I enjoy reading mostly non-fiction. Anything maritime related, military, history and outdoors are my go to topics.
View attachment 221386
3 book recommendations off the top of my head:
-Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
-In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
-The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan
I bought a copy of In Cold Blood from an antique store this past weekend. Can't wait to get into it once I finish what I'm reading now. I just started Dan Carlin's book, The End is Always Near.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I recently read King, Lover, Magician, Warrior, and found it to be excellent. It's a snippet of Jungian psychology, covering male archetypes and their immature/incomplete "shadow" versions that we go through growing up.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I finally have got around to reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential after owning the book for nearly 3 years. Also finally got myself an eReader and reading more often has gotten so easy. I will still probably read physical copies of mass market paperbacks since they're a good size and I like flipping pages. My eReader will be more for huge hardcover cooks that I don't wanna lug around, or for books I borrow from the library.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I finally have got around to reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential after owning the book for nearly 3 years. Also finally got myself an eReader and reading more often has gotten so easy. I will still probably read physical copies of mass market paperbacks since they're a good size and I like flipping pages. My eReader will be more for huge hardcover cooks that I don't wanna lug around, or for books I borrow from the library.
I’ve read kitchen confidential 2 times. I can hear Bourdain talking as I read it. Fantastic book.