GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

General GMAX RS vs. Firehawk Indy 500?

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Reviews and visual aspects. I just didn’t like them. The Conti were a compromise since I didn’t want to fork out cash for PSS.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I use the Gmax. For my summer set and have been pleased with them. Definitely a good tire for the price. I would buy them again. They wear well I can't definitely give you a mileage I have with them but about 2/3 worn in 2 summers.

steinfeld

Passed Driver's Ed
A tyre reviewer tested them out on the youtubes. They have similar dry pavement results but the GMAX RS pulls ahead in wet pavement tests.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I use the Gmax. For my summer set and have been pleased with them. Definitely a good tire for the price. I would buy them again. They wear well I can't definitely give you a mileage I have with them but about 2/3 worn in 2 summers.
How’s the ride quality and noise level?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
For the price the Indy's are good. But compared to Conti or Michelin they don't hold up. But you will really only notice this if you are pushing them a bit. And by a bit, I mean hard lol.
However they are a huge improvement over stock, and the price is right.
And if it makes you feel any better, the Indy is a re-named Bridgestone Potenza RE003.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
For the price the Indy's are good. But compared to Conti or Michelin they don't hold up. But you will really only notice this if you are pushing them a bit. And by a bit, I mean hard lol.
However they are a huge improvement over stock, and the price is right.
And if it makes you feel any better, the Indy is a re-named Bridgestone Potenza RE003.
No surprise that paying more gets more tire. Right now I have Michelin AS3+ and I am wanting a summer tire for the grip, but still want nice daily driving manners. Don’t need an AS.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I hear ya. I too have the AS3+ currently. I went with it because I wanted something that would last a little longer.
But Like you, I am probably going to switch back to a summer, if the GTI stays around long enough that is hah.
I don't have anything bad to say about the Indy, but I also can't compare it to the General.
I just know that you should't be disappointed with the Indy.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
How’s the ride quality and noise level?
Noise is low and ride is good. I usually buy tires at the tire rack and when I bought them there was a $75 rebate plus I pick them up from the warehouse in Delaware and tire rack offers $40 discount for picking them up and plus Delaware is sales tax free so if I remember correctly I think I wound up paying $425 after rebate.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I am trying out a new tire(G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS)for winters this year as my GTI isn't my daily driver anymore and I don't see enough snow to justify a true winter tire which are shit in everything but snow.
I still get so excited every time I get the GTI and getting caught doing 106 on the NJTP made me find a more tame car for commuting(Chevy Bolt) but still drive the GTI 1-2 days a week.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I’ve had a set of the Indy 500 on my wife’s 430i for over a year. They’re great. Handling, grip, feedback, response, wear, noise all good. Haven’t let me down in the rain either (we get plenty).

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I had the Indy 500s on my 370z and they were great for the price. A great balance of budget and performance. I actually plan on getting a set for the GTI in a month or two.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Had RSs on son2s GTI while I had 4S michelins on the TT. The much more expensive michelins are a better tire but the RSs are a GREAT price point tire. He’s now running General A/Ss. Def dig Generals.