GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
hmm maybe I'm wrong but I thought that's how it worked.

Was your card an OEM VW card? I've seen the retrofitters sell the "hacked" cards that work in any unit.
It looked oem, had vw sticker on itl

85octane

Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI SE
@madwazzabi Have you tried a phone call on bluetooth with the engine off? In my car, which was also retrofitted, the microphone turns off some time (maybe a minute) after turning off the engine. Bluetooth audio will continue to work however. My car does not have KESSY so I didn't have the same issue with no accessory mode. But it was initially a weird thing to be talking on the phone, get to my destination and turn the engine off (bluetooth audio still on, so I can hear the person talking) and then after some time they could no longer hear me.
I just had my retrofit completed by Simaservis1108 and love it! I kept my fender amp and it sounds slightly better than it did before, MIB2 DSP?
I have a couple minor issues I’m hoping the community can help me work out.
- The bluetooth mic cuts off 1 minute after the ignition key is turned off just like Cuzoe describes.
- Missing oil and water temp in performance monitor. I have oil temp in my MFD, but couldn’t find it in the 5f module.
Neither are that important, i just want it to work properly if it’s possible. TIA

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
- The bluetooth mic cuts off 1 minute after the ignition key is turned off just like Cuzoe describes.
I haven't heard a remedy for this yet, but maybe somebody has some good news for us. There is no separate bluetooth module (that I've ever heard of or found in the wiring diagrams). The radio is on the battery bus so I can't think of a technical reason bluetooth requires ignition on. Possibly a software choice. I have MIB 2.5 now and haven't thought to try it, maybe that behavior changed 🤷‍♂️.
- Missing oil and water temp in performance monitor. I have oil temp in my MFD, but couldn’t find it in the 5f module.
These things seem to be hit or miss. Everything works in performance monitor on my 2015 TDI S, although I did retrofit a highline gateway (for other reasons, not for Performance Monitor). What works seems to vary based on firmware combination of a few things... Gateway, ECU, and/or MIB.

Nickmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 TDI SEL M/T

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I just had my retrofit completed by Simaservis1108 and love it! I kept my fender amp and it sounds slightly better than it did before, MIB2 DSP?
Neither are that important, i just want it to work properly if it’s possible. TIA
Ive had problems with the oil and coolant temp too. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP

I'm pretty sure that I'm on MIB1 (2017) and it also does this cutting of BlueTooth mic after a minute or so. Wondering what can be done to prevent that but usually I flip to the phone speaker at that point.

simaservis1108

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Seat Leon 5F FR
NAR cars have a stupid 75 - Telematic ECU for SOS.
Solution is to rewire microphone directly to MIB2 but you will have to deal with SOS failure on dashboard.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I've had the same bluetooth behavior for as long as I can remember... MIB I, MIB II, MIB II again 🤦‍♂️ , MIB 2.5, MIB 2.5 again 🤦‍♂️.

I'm surprised it's in all those but then again, there must be a logical reason they did that. Save battery life? No idea really but I'm shocked they don't give you an option to enable/disable that. I don't normally plan on having a full blown conversation on blue tooth once the car is off, but at least giving me more than a minute to say my goodbyes would be nice...

Nickmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 TDI SEL M/T
@simaservis1108 completed my retrofit from MIB 1 to MIB II in my 2015 tdi us spec. Everything works except the app button doesn't do anything. Not a big deal since I just go through the menu to get to it. No hiccups highly recommend him.

Nickmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
mk7 TDI SEL M/T
Also, If you're routing the cables for the new USB port you can run them super easily by just routing the to the lower right (from where the cubby goes) into the glove box area. Pull the cables inside the little channel above the cabin air box, they will fit nice and snug in there. After that to get them to the MIB unit you just need to run them to the very upper right of dash and you will feel where they feed through. Took me 5 min, No need for using a coat hanger or fishing pole.

Attachments

• cablerouting1.jpg
    cablerouting1.jpg
    764 KB · Views: 157
  • cablerouting2.jpg
    cablerouting2.jpg
    694.4 KB · Views: 177

golf600

Car(s)
VW Golf MK7 2014
Heads up on getting driving modes pop up menu to work after replacing head unit.

I recently replaced the MIB2 3Q0035844 head unit which I swapped with a 3Q0035844B due to a problem with the unit draining battery
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/infotainment-unit-draining-battery.379517/ After CP removal and FeC installation, my "driving modes" pop up menu did not function when pressing driving mode button. You need to change this line of adaptations code to active to get driving modes pop up menu to work

ENG122229-ENG117736-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-charisma_0x17
Hello!! Didn’t understand how you got the Driving Modes to show up. I just changed from Mib1 to Mib2.5, and driving modes do not pop up anymore. I don’t have any problems with battery. What should I do now please?

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Hello!! Didn’t understand how you got the Driving Modes to show up. I just changed from Mib1 to Mib2.5, and driving modes do not pop up anymore. I don’t have any problems with battery. What should I do now please?

You first need to make sure that whoever did your remote programming installed the FeC for driving modes. In my case it was installed, but the pop up menu would not display driving modes. I could tell it was installed as when the driving modes button was activated the display cluster showed the change, but the infotainment’s display did not pop up and show. In order to get driving modes to pop un on infotainment display you need to go into module 5F (infotainment unit) with either VCDS or OBDII and change this line in "Adaptations" from non-active to active: ENG122229-ENG117736-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-charisma_0x17.

Last edited: