GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear subframe harmonic damper from the Audi A3 Saloon (2013->)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Is my crazy idea worth a go try and pinpoint source of most noise?

What do you think guys?.

I'd do the aero trays as you're at that speed for aero for the drone to start..

GPL

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 7.5 Golf 1.5
Hi.
Yesterday i swapped all four wheels with my friends 2018 Blue Motion 130 PS
Conclusion was the his narrower/ smaller 205/55 16s made my car 25% quieter at motorway speeds but still droned.

We tested his car first at 70 - 90 MPH on the same stretch of motorway and although his engine is the same as mine
on the 130 ps mine is 150ps his car only had a very slight drone at same speeds Revs .

What i have also concluded now is the drone is from the exhaust when the RPM is between 2.300 and 2.800 RPM
coming into the rear of the car.

Any Thoughts.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi.
Yesterday i swapped all four wheels with my friends 2018 Blue Motion 130 PS
Conclusion was the his narrower/ smaller 205/55 16s made my car 25% quieter at motorway speeds but still droned.

We tested his car first at 70 - 90 MPH on the same stretch of motorway and although his engine is the same as mine
on the 130 ps mine is 150ps his car only had a very slight drone at same speeds Revs .

What i have also concluded now is the drone is from the exhaust when the RPM is between 2.300 and 2.800 RPM
coming into the rear of the car.

Any Thoughts.

Those results as per the narrower tyres are to be expected...... just the natural engine/exhaust noise for that rpm/speed????

0779mike

Car(s)
2019 1.5 GT DSG
I am new here and probably not as technical as most of you. I bought a 2019 Golf 1.5 GT DSG about 3 weeks ago after test driving several.

There is an infrequent buzzing particularly noticeable in 1st when I am pulling away up a hill from stationary. It is like an electric drill running somewhere on the car. I am willing to give this harmonic damper a try and see if it effects a cure or even just a reduction.

I am sure the dealership will say it is "within tolerances" or "a characteristic of the vehicle" but it irritates me.

Will the harmonic damper fit my car ? I have tried to look underneath but it looks different to the pictures at the start of this thread.

If it does fit, does anyone think it will help ?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mike

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I am new here and probably not as technical as most of you. I bought a 2019 Golf 1.5 GT DSG about 3 weeks ago after test driving several.

There is an infrequent buzzing particularly noticeable in 1st when I am pulling away up a hill from stationary. It is like an electric drill running somewhere on the car. I am willing to give this harmonic damper a try and see if it effects a cure or even just a reduction.

I am sure the dealership will say it is "within tolerances" or "a characteristic of the vehicle" but it irritates me.

Will the harmonic damper it fit my car ? I have tried to look underneath but it looks different to the pictures at the start of this thread.

If it does fit, does anyone think it will help ?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mike

DSG gearboxes can make a noise in 1st gear when pulling away....

This device quietens down the rumbling/clunking/knocking sounds that come from the rear when traveling under 35mph on rough roads.

If your car is GT trim spec is should have the multi link rear suspension with the two holes in the rear subframe.....The photos/car used in this thread are of an estate (as it says)..so the exhaust box is in a different place compared to the hatch...

0779mike

Car(s)
2019 1.5 GT DSG
Thanks Dave, Might there be any point in me talking to the dealer about 1st gear noise ? I live on a hill :(

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Fraysa

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 MK7 1.4TSI
Thanks Dave, Might there be any point in me talking to the dealer about 1st gear noise ? I live on a hill :(

The MK7 Golf DSG is equipped with DSG type DQ200. The reason for the noise which is described as "coin rattling" noise is due to excess spacing between the transmission forks. In later iterations this spacing was reduced so it's quieter but it still exists (my 2016 has it).

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
So with the drop in Russian Ruble, it's significantly cheaper to buy this in Russian Rubles compared to Euros or USD. $68USD vs $58EUR vs 5,257 rubles or $62CAD. Assuming E-Acca doesn't ask for extra money on top.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Don’t buy Russian

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Nvm E-Acca refunded me as they're not accepting Russian Rubles. Why even have it as a payment option then :rolleyes:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Nvm E-Acca refunded me as they're not accepting Russian Rubles. Why even have it as a payment option then :rolleyes:

They probably had it programmed into their cart software and never thought to update it after Russia invaded Ukraine. I wouldn't fault them for an oversight like that. I operate a webstore and it's impossible to keep up with every daily change that happens.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
This^^

zwalk

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GSW 4motion
Is there a version of this for 4 motion because I am having NVH issues I can’t seem to resolve