GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the 312mm front brakes to a Mk7 Golf

gar_lei

Car(s)
MK7.5 TSI
Alright I just took a peek and my caliper does indeed have 57 stamped on it!!!
Now its time to find a set of rebuilt calipers or just get the carriers.

ChrisV13

Hi Dave, firstly I hope you do see this so thank you for posting.
This is an upgrade I've wanted to do for a while after not being overly happy with the brake feel. So when I found this post it all made sense.
I bought my Mk7 2014 Golf 2.0 TDI a couple of years ago with an extended warranty so I've been waiting for that to expire before doing any upgrades etc.
I was looking for the calliper carrier brackets and found these on Autodoc. The top part of the picture is what I believe you used. Part 1ZA/1ZD, part numbers 1180 & 1181.
Now I'm wondering if I can get the item in the bottom half of the picture. Theses appear to be the GTi carriers, part 1ZB/1LV.
Plus given what you said about not actually needing a left and right I reckon a pair of these for 70 quid is okay?
One last thing, are these the Brembos that you changed to?

Thanks again for posting what is a very comprehensive tutorial that has probably helped alot of us out.
Yours gratefully Christian

PS. Yes I realize there is literally no rhyme or reason to Autodocs pricing!!

Attachments

• CollageMaker_20211004_152537026.png
    CollageMaker_20211004_152537026.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 189
  • Screenshot_20210920-214337~2.png
    Screenshot_20210920-214337~2.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 182

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi Dave, firstly I hope you do see this so thank you for posting.
This is an upgrade I've wanted to do for a while after not being overly happy with the brake feel. So when I found this post it all made sense.
I bought my Mk7 2014 Golf 2.0 TDI a couple of years ago with an extended warranty so I've been waiting for that to expire before doing any upgrades etc.
I was looking for the calliper carrier brackets and found these on Autodoc. The top part of the picture is what I believe you used. Part 1ZA/1ZD, part numbers 1180 & 1181.
Now I'm wondering if I can get the item in the bottom half of the picture. Theses appear to be the GTi carriers, part 1ZB/1LV.
Plus given what you said about not actually needing a left and right I reckon a pair of these for 70 quid is okay?
One last thing, are these the Brembos that you changed to?

Thanks again for posting what is a very comprehensive tutorial that has probably helped alot of us out.
Yours gratefully Christian

PS. Yes I realize there is literally no rhyme or reason to Autodocs pricing!!

All MK7/7.5mm 312mm front brakes are the same, they just get painted blue (GTE), red (GTI), or grey (GTD)......so yes cheap red GTI 312mm carriers will work.

And YES as I found out to my expense the carriers (metal moulding) are the same left or right....the only reason they have a different part number is that when pre assembled, the carriers are different, with one carrier having the pins inserted the other way around & the other carrier the reverse....so just buy two of the cheapest 312mm carriers & reverse the pins on one carrier!

Brembo Max grooved...(as per your photo) are the ones I'm currently running...like them, not stupid expense & well made with tight tolerances & good base metal...

& many of the prices on the web are really stupid....I think its random (pin the tail on donkey) pricing!

ChrisV13

All MK7/7.5mm 312mm front brakes are the same, they just get painted blue (GTE), red (GTI), or grey (GTD)......so yes cheap red GTI 312mm carriers will work.

And YES as I found out to my expense the carriers (metal moulding) are the same left or right....the only reason they have a different part number is that when pre assembled, the carriers are different, with one carrier having the pins inserted the other way around & the other carrier the reverse....so just buy two of the cheapest 312mm carriers & reverse the pins on one carrier!

Brembo Max grooved...(as per your photo) are the ones I'm currently running...like them, not stupid expense & well made with tight tolerances & good base metal...

& many of the prices on the web are really stupid....I think its random (pin the tail on donkey) pricing!
Excellent, thanks for the reply Dave much appreciated. Can't wait to get this mod done 👍

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW
Adding a word of thanks. I did this upgrade a couple weeks back and it's fantastic. Now finally I have the stopping power and pedal feel to match my old 2013 Mk6 TDI wagon that came with 312mm brakes as standard o_O

I bought new OEM calipers, carriers and pads from a German seller on eBay because I was not finding carriers alone for a reasonable price (or without having to make a long drive) in the U.S., after a few months of looking. On this side of the pond the red-caliper GTI outsold every other Mk7 Golf by a wide margin (and now is the only one available as a Mk8), so slim pickings for non-painted brake parts. [Edit: was wrong about U.S. sales.] I paid ~$250 for the caliper kit and another ~$100 for rotors.

Last edited:

AndreiZi

Car(s)
g7 1.6tdi s1 40yahre
Hi Dave, this weekend i also changed the brakes form 288 to 312 and i'm very happy,Ty 🥰, i use textar pro+ disc's and brake pads ...and also I have modified in controler 03 >> adapt>>> brake boost from 4 to 2 (the pedal is more responsive and the distance seems less) i didnt try my 16" steel rims whit winter tires if it fits correctly... i will reply

Attachments

• a13c7a1490bf7c10eeb1b7d9f0da418a.jpg
    a13c7a1490bf7c10eeb1b7d9f0da418a.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG-20220408-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20220408-WA0010.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG-20220408-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20220408-WA0011.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 170

Jul01

Car(s)
Golf MK7 1.4 TSI 150
Hi Dave, first thank you very much for this great tutorial. 😉

I am an active member of a French Golf 7 forum and your subject has enabled several members to do this retrofit. I had the opportunity to try the car of a friend who made this modification and it must be recognized that the improvement is significant.
So I decided to do it on my golf MK7 1.4 TSI 150 R-Line, I ordered GTI brake calipers with Brembo Xtra brake discs/pads, Goodridge braided brake lines and Motul RFB600. The assembly is scheduled next month, I will not fail to put some pictures here.

I would also like to know if you have information to replace the 272mm rear brakes (PR-1KE) with 300mm brakes (PR-1KV) ? I looked for a long time about this retrofit, but I found nothing concrete. So I did some research on Etka and here's what I found :

- I started by checking if the suspension bracket is the same on the GTI and MK7 1.4 TSI (for front wheel drive and multilink : PR-0N4), wich seems to be the case (5Q0505435F/5Q0505436F). So the fixings holes for the caliper and the protection cover plate must be identical :
wishbone; axle guide; wheel bearing housing - Golf/Variant/4Motion(GOLF) [EUROPA 2014 year] (7zap.com)

- I then compared the references of the two technical plans, it is therefore obviously necessary to change the caliper carrier brackets, but I wonder if it is necessary to also change the calipers. By typing the oem references on an aftermarket parts dealer site, it turns out that the two calipers have 38mm pistons. So I wonder if those are the same apart from the fact that one is painted red and the other is not.
The servomotors are also the same (8V0998281/8V0998281A) so I guess this will not require any particular coding ?

272 x 10 mm brakes (PR-1KE) : floating caliper brake Golf/Variant/4Motion (GOLF) 2014 year Volkswagen EUROPA 615055 (7zap.com)
300 x 12 mm brakes (PR-1KV) : floating caliper brake; version Golf/Variant/4Motion (GOLF) 2014 year Volkswagen EUROPA 615060 (7zap.com)

- It's seems to be nessary necessary to change the protection cover plate (5Q0615611H/5Q0615612H), I saw that this part is fixed behind the bearing, so it must be dismantled.

I think I'm on the right track with these elements, I just wonder it is necessary to change the master cylinder. But since the diameter of the piston is identical, I do not think so.

Thank you in advance for your help and congratulations for your great work on this forum. 😎

Attachments

• IMG_9600.jpg
    IMG_9600.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi Dave, first thank you very much for this great tutorial. 😉

I am an active member of a French Golf 7 forum and your subject has enabled several members to do this retrofit. I had the opportunity to try the car of a friend who made this modification and it must be recognized that the improvement is significant.
So I decided to do it on my golf MK7 1.4 TSI 150 R-Line, I ordered GTI brake calipers with Brembo Xtra brake discs/pads, Goodridge braided brake lines and Motul RFB600. The assembly is scheduled next month, I will not fail to put some pictures here.

I would also like to know if you have information to replace the 272mm rear brakes (PR-1KE) with 300mm brakes (PR-1KV) ? I looked for a long time about this retrofit, but I found nothing concrete. So I did some research on Etka and here's what I found :

- I started by checking if the suspension bracket is the same on the GTI and MK7 1.4 TSI (for front wheel drive and multilink : PR-0N4), wich seems to be the case (5Q0505435F/5Q0505436F). So the fixings holes for the caliper and the protection cover plate must be identical :
wishbone; axle guide; wheel bearing housing - Golf/Variant/4Motion(GOLF) [EUROPA 2014 year] (7zap.com)

- I then compared the references of the two technical plans, it is therefore obviously necessary to change the caliper carrier brackets, but I wonder if it is necessary to also change the calipers. By typing the oem references on an aftermarket parts dealer site, it turns out that the two calipers have 38mm pistons. So I wonder if those are the same apart from the fact that one is painted red and the other is not.
The servomotors are also the same (8V0998281/8V0998281A) so I guess this will not require any particular coding ?

272 x 10 mm brakes (PR-1KE) : floating caliper brake Golf/Variant/4Motion (GOLF) 2014 year Volkswagen EUROPA 615055 (7zap.com)
300 x 12 mm brakes (PR-1KV) : floating caliper brake; version Golf/Variant/4Motion (GOLF) 2014 year Volkswagen EUROPA 615060 (7zap.com)

- It's seems to be nessary necessary to change the protection cover plate (5Q0615611H/5Q0615612H), I saw that this part is fixed behind the bearing, so it must be dismantled.

I think I'm on the right track with these elements, I just wonder it is necessary to change the master cylinder. But since the diameter of the piston is identical, I do not think so.

Thank you in advance for your help and congratulations for your great work on this forum. 😎

I just place info out there so people don't have as much a struggle to do a mod, make an improvement to the car...glad people use the info.. ;)

Why I only did the fronts, & remember I have the heavier rear end estate:-

I sometimes drive the whole of the A939 & most of the A93 up here in Scotland, which is one of the best drivers routes. This is a 2hrs drive, has numerous steep descents & ascents, hair pin bends etc.. This route will test the driver & the car more than the average track day....

Near to the end of the route (near to the start point, but on the return journey its near the end)...descending a steep downhill, I lost all front braking as the fade was so great!...I drove carefully home & the brakes were still red hot!....the rears were hot, but colder than the fronts!

The fronts got upgraded to 312mm, & I fitted Audi front brake ducts, & I drove the route again...no more fade...the fronts were hot, but way cooler than before, & the rears were warm.

This car is the first I have had where the rears are more over braked & the fronts are severely under braked from the factory. The only time I would upgrade the rears is if I did a lot of towing..

If you want to do the rears, I had looked at it, & your observations are correct from what I remember. You only have to change the master cylinder if you fit the bigger front calipers (60mm piston) from the GTI-PP/R/CCS.

EDIT:-
For reference...
...The 2017/2018 MK7 GTI TCR race car uses 272mm unvented discs & two piston aluminium calipers on the rear....& 378mm vented discs with AP racing 6 piston calipers on the front...

Last edited:

Jul01

Car(s)
Golf MK7 1.4 TSI 150
I just place info out there so people don't have as much a struggle to do a mod, make an improvement to the car...glad people use the info.. ;)

Why I only did the fronts, & remember I have the heavier rear end estate:-

I sometimes drive the whole of the A939 & most of the A93 up here in Scotland, which is one of the best drivers routes. This is a 2hrs drive, has numerous steep descents & ascents, hair pin bends etc.. This route will test the driver & the car more than the average track day....

Near to the end of the route (near to the start point, but on the return journey its near the end)...descending a steep downhill, I lost all front braking as the fade was so great!...I drove carefully home & the brakes were still red hot!....the rears were hot, but colder than the fronts!

The fronts got upgraded to 312mm, & I fitted Audi front brake ducts, & I drove the route again...no more fade...the fronts were hot, but way cooler than before, & the rears were warm.

This car is the first I have had where the rears are more over braked & the fronts are severely under braked from the factory. The only time I would upgrade the rears is if I did a lot of towing..

If you want to do the rears, I had looked at it, & your observations are correct from what I remember. You only have to change the master cylinder if you fit the bigger front calipers (60mm piston) from the GTI-PP/R/CCS.

EDIT:-
For reference...
...The 2017/2018 MK7 GTI TCR race car uses 272mm unvented discs & two piston aluminium calipers on the rear....& 378mm vented discs with AP racing 6 piston calipers on the front...

Hi Dave, thank you for your prompt response. :)

I am well aware that the rear braking improvement will not be as siginifactive as the front.

This is mainly for aesthetic purposes as I find the tiny rear discs compared to the 312mm front. I have a great opportunity for cheap new GTI calipers, it will also save me repainting.

Thank you for confirming my research, I will give you feedback when the brakes are installed. (y)

AndreiZi

Car(s)
g7 1.6tdi s1 40yahre
Hi Dave, this weekend i also changed the brakes form 288 to 312 and i'm very happy,Ty 🥰, i use textar pro+ disc's and brake pads ...and also I have modified in controler 03 >> adapt>>> brake boost from 4 to 2 (the pedal is more responsive and the distance seems less) i didnt try my 16" steel rims whit winter tires if it fits correctly... i will reply
Update, yes, spare tires R16 6.5j ET42 steel rims are working perfectly after the retrofit.

Attachments

• 20220430_111129.jpg
    20220430_111129.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220430_111134.jpg
    20220430_111134.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220430_111153.jpg
    20220430_111153.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20220430_111303.jpg
    20220430_111303.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 101

Jul01

Car(s)
Golf MK7 1.4 TSI 150
Hi Dave,

I had the 312 front brakes installed this Thursday. I also put 300 on the rear instead of 272, the break-in is in progress but it's already promising. The braking has nothing to do with the original, it's very biting and progressive, I'm completely satisfied. 🥰

Thanks again for the tutorial and help. :giggle:

Attachments

• IMG_9961.jpg
    IMG_9961.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9958.jpg
    IMG_9958.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 174

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi Dave,

I had the 312 front brakes installed this Thursday. I also put 300 on the rear instead of 272, the break-in is in progress but it's already promising. The braking has nothing to do with the original, it's very biting and progressive, I'm completely satisfied. 🥰

Thanks again for the tutorial and help. :giggle:

The full GTI/GTD swap......

....& yes it will be way better than the factory set-up!

As for the help....thats what we are here for.....to pass the info on!...(y)... :cool:

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
Anyone know if TRW discontinued manufacture of the caliper brackets? As of right now nearly all the suppliers are showing that they are out of stock for these brackets.

NTY is showing they have in stock, any experience with this brand?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Anyone know if TRW discontinued manufacture of the caliper brackets? As of right now nearly all the suppliers are showing that they are out of stock for these brackets.

Looks like they or "Mapco" are about the only companies making them in the EU...

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts...-12329/vw/golf/golf-vii-5g1-be1/59120-2-0-gtd

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ca...1-be1/59120/12329/brake-caliper-mounting.html

Goodbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7.5 GSW

I bought mine a couple years ago, including new calipers and pads, from "4yourdrive" on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/145236871888

I didn't need new calipers, but the cost was only a bit more than overpriced brackets I was finding.