GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 Euro tail lights - is it okay to have?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Thanks lol. I was wondering the size as well though. Do you have idea what mm or inches should I get?
It’s an 8.

Do you have tools now?

Here’s are quick vid from a fellow member that will show some helpful tools for VW work.

cb1111

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Is it possible to set both turn signals statically when emergency lights on? (while maintaning individual turn signals dynamically)
I'm not sure for hazards only, calling @ZERO815, haha. With his help my hazards are set for static blinking when the hatch is open. They are also set to dynamic when the engine is off. With my initial coding they were static whenever the engine was off... which I guess is what you actually want.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
There are many ways to individualize the dynamic turn signal behavior on VW OEM dynamic tails. There's no general solution, just a general idea of how it works. It all depends on the harness/wiring schematic you use. The dynamic turn signal function needs to be powered from one light channel. From the factory VW uses Leuchte27 for that.
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lasttyp 2736 - LED Kleinleistung
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lampendefektbitposition 2700
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 2700
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion A 27Aktive Blinkfunktion hat ein auf 1 gesetztes zugeordnetes Bit in pa_dynamisch_blinken
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion B 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimmwert AB 27127
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 27Always
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion C 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion D 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimmwert CD 270
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimming Direction CD 27maximize
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion E 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion F 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimmwert EF 270
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimming Direction EF 27maximize
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion G 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion H 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimming Direction GH 270
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimmwert GH 27maximize

Lichtfunktion A27 = "Aktive Blinkfunktion hat ein auf 1 gesetztes zugeordnetes Bit in pa_dynamisch_blinken" controls the dynamic turn signal function. It's always dynamic if the following channels are all set to "active".

Enable/Adjust Sweep Functionality
MY2013-2016
Dyn. turn signal modes-Richtungs_blinken_links [Turn signal left]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-Richtungs_blinken_rechts [Turn signal right]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-Warnblinken_Zuendung_AUS [Hazards Ignition off]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-Warnblinken_Zuendung_EIN [Hazards Ignition on]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-ZV_Blinken_auf [Unlocking]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-ZV_Blinken_zu [Locking]active
MY2017.5 and up
Außenlicht_Blinker-Richtungs_blinken_links [Turn signal left]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-Richtungs_blinken_rechts [Turn signal rechts]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-Warnblinken_Zuendung_AUS [Hazards Ignition off]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-Warnblinken_Zuendung_EIN [Hazards Ignition on]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-ZV_Blinken_auf [Unlocking]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-ZV_Blinken_zu [Locking]active

By setting single or all of them to "not active" the dynamic turn signal function is disabled. Does that make sense?

Some harness suppliers use:
- Klemme15...
- Klemme30G
instead of "Aktive Blinkfunktion hat ein auf 1 gesetztes zugeordnetes Bit in pa_dynamisch_blinken" to power the dynamic turn signal function.

Now you know.. ;-)

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
If you're planning on doing real work on your car, then you'll want to get good tools. This set will probably work for this but nothing serious.

For tools the motto is "buy once, cry once" You'll want something like this if you want 1/4 inch
Thanks cb1111. I would love to get a nice one, but this is enough for me as a beginner.
There are many ways to individualize the dynamic turn signal behavior on VW OEM dynamic tails. There's no general solution, just a general idea of how it works. It all depends on the harness/wiring schematic you use. The dynamic turn signal function needs to be powered from one light channel. From the factory VW uses Leuchte27 for that.
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lasttyp 2736 - LED Kleinleistung
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lampendefektbitposition 2700
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Fehlerort mittleres Byte DTC-DFCC 2700
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion A 27Aktive Blinkfunktion hat ein auf 1 gesetztes zugeordnetes Bit in pa_dynamisch_blinken
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion B 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimmwert AB 27127
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtansteuerung HD AB 27Always
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion C 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion D 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimmwert CD 270
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimming Direction CD 27maximize
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion E 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion F 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimmwert EF 270
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimming Direction EF 27maximize
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion G 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Lichtfunktion H 27not active
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimming Direction GH 270
Leuchte27NSL RC6-Dimmwert GH 27maximize

Lichtfunktion A27 = "Aktive Blinkfunktion hat ein auf 1 gesetztes zugeordnetes Bit in pa_dynamisch_blinken" controls the dynamic turn signal function. It's always dynamic if the following channels are all set to "active".

Enable/Adjust Sweep Functionality
MY2013-2016
Dyn. turn signal modes-Richtungs_blinken_links [Turn signal left]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-Richtungs_blinken_rechts [Turn signal right]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-Warnblinken_Zuendung_AUS [Hazards Ignition off]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-Warnblinken_Zuendung_EIN [Hazards Ignition on]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-ZV_Blinken_auf [Unlocking]active
Dyn. turn signal modes-ZV_Blinken_zu [Locking]active
MY2017.5 and up
Außenlicht_Blinker-Richtungs_blinken_links [Turn signal left]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-Richtungs_blinken_rechts [Turn signal rechts]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-Warnblinken_Zuendung_AUS [Hazards Ignition off]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-Warnblinken_Zuendung_EIN [Hazards Ignition on]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-ZV_Blinken_auf [Unlocking]active
Außenlicht_Blinker-ZV_Blinken_zu [Locking]active

By setting single or all of them to "not active" the dynamic turn signal function is disabled. Does that make sense?

Some harness suppliers use:
- Klemme15...
- Klemme30G
instead of "Aktive Blinkfunktion hat ein auf 1 gesetztes zugeordnetes Bit in pa_dynamisch_blinken" to power the dynamic turn signal function.

Now you know.. ;-)
I really appreciate it!!

I'm going to use DAP harness with OBD Eleven. I will do research one you provided, but please let me know if you have anything to add when DAP harness is used as I am new in DIY. Thanks again.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
... but please let me know if you have anything to add when DAP harness is used as I am new in DIY. Thanks again.
This is not specific to tail lights/chosen harness/or anything really... But before you do any coding make a complete backup of the car (look up the instructions for whatever coding tool you're going to use. Keep that backup somewhere safe. Also after making a set of changes for a specific mod (like the Euro tails) make a backup of your new working configuration and save it, named appropriately. Best practice is to avoid doing the coding for multiple mods at once, just makes troubleshooting easier if it gets to that point... ask me how I know 🤦‍♂️.

As for when you start making changes. I always print out whatever I'm planning to do, that way I can check off each change and I have a place to write down the original value. Referring to this printout in the moment (or in the next couple days if something isn't acting right) is still easier than referring to your backup.

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
This is not specific to tail lights/chosen harness/or anything really... But before you do any coding make a complete backup of the car (look up the instructions for whatever coding tool you're going to use. Keep that backup somewhere safe. Also after making a set of changes for a specific mod (like the Euro tails) make a backup of your new working configuration and save it, named appropriately. Best practice is to avoid doing the coding for multiple mods at once, just makes troubleshooting easier if it gets to that point... ask me how I know 🤦‍♂️.

As for when you start making changes. I always print out whatever I'm planning to do, that way I can check off each change and I have a place to write down the original value. Referring to this printout in the moment (or in the next couple days if something isn't acting right) is still easier than referring to your backup.
Thanks for your valuable comments.

In fact, that was one of my question in mind - I was wondering how I go back to Euro to US OEM in case I don't like it anymore. Do you have any insight for that?

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Thanks for your valuable comments.

In fact, that was one of my question in mind - I was wondering how I go back to Euro to US OEM in case I don't like it anymore. Do you have any insight for that?

Not Cuzoe, but I always make it a habit to write down the original values of anything I change in VCDS, and back it up somewhere in case I lose the original. Makes it much easier to go back to stock settings.

Additionally, since you say you're new to DIY, don't be afraid to take pictures as you're taking things apart, so you know how they're supposed to go together when the time comes. As far as tooling, I got a pretty long way with a no-skips 3/8" set of shallow & deep sockets. Harbor Freight's ratchets are pretty good for the money, but I don't love their wrenches. No single brand is good at everything though, you'll likely wind up with a varied mixture of brands in your toolbox. If you're just starting out, I'd look for a set of 8mm-19mm shallow and deep 3/8" sockets, ratchet, maybe a set of combo wrenches (just regular combo wrenches, don't worry about things like ratcheting mechanisms for now), some cheap screwdrivers, allen keys, and a 32mm 3/8" socket for the oil filter housing. Oh, and grab the special tool (surprise) for the drain plug, if you're doing your own oil changes -- MetalNerd has one that works well in my experience.

Tekton makes some good tools in the line of what you would want to start DIY stuff, but don't overbuy -- buy the basics, then buy things as you need them -- much easier if you have another means of transportation, but if not try to look up DIYs and see what tools you'll need for a job ahead of time. Happy wrenching!

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
A brief update for those who answered my silly questions:

I did success yesterday night which took 6 hrs lol. Accidentally had a damage on the driver side original harness (brown), so it was about to go to disaster.

Fortunately after trying, somehow it looks okay now and works well, but I will need to end up fix it by taking the car to electric auto shop as I am pretty nervous when it's gonna die. The outer peel slightly took off, so I think it causes errors for turn signals due to weak connection.

Any recommendation for shop or person around Lehigh Valley area would be appreciate.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
The issue with euro tails is they do not reflect on the side. I have had a set on my mk6 for 9 years and 100k miles no issue. CA does not have safety inspections though.

cb1111

The issue with euro tails is they do not reflect on the side. I have had a set on my mk6 for 9 years and 100k miles no issue. CA does not have safety inspections though.
No only do the Euro tails not have the side reflectors, but they also have no sidemarker lights.