GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GFB DV+ Maintenance!

GTIgeek812

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17' GTI Sport 6MT
So I had some free time today and decided I was going to do some maintenance on my diverter. It seemed like I was getting a little less responsiveness and not as many "whoosh" noises if that makes sense. Upon taking the diverter apart, I noticed a few things. It was pretty gross and has quite a bit of wear on the piston part itself (pictures posted). Before I cleaned and lubed up any of the parts I was making sure I had the orientation correct. The piston would not even go back in its original place. The lubrication was no longer existent. I'm sure there is a proper lubricant to use for this part but I've heard from quite a few people that you can use some SAE motor oil. So I cleaned up the different bits with a micro fiber cloth and lubed up the piston and other small metal bits and o-rings. Reassembled and took the car on a drive and the responsiveness and sound were back. Immediate difference. I highly recommend doing this every time you change your oil. I have seen multiple posts that are saying it requires no maintenance and others that say that it does. I can confirm. This maintenance should be done regularly.

15 Minutes

Tools Required:
Socket Wrench
Socketed Ball Head Allen Key
Masking Tape (to attach allen key to bolts) trust me.

Attachments

• IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4433.jpg
    IMG_4433.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 153

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Best maintenance: revert to stock. OEM DV is not a weak link in the system unless you’re Hybrid/BT power levels, and even then it’s likely better for the job than an aftermarket part

Pretty sure it's never a weak link. Could be wrong, but I believe some of the guys pushing 35psi are still using the stock DV.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Glad this thread actually came up. It was something I was just thinking about in my head since the DV was commonly upgraded on the mk6 as soon as you go Stg1. Sounds like there is no need to do that with this car. That's good I guess.

I was tempted for a moment to get the diverter valve they make with the spacer to add the air popping off sound but then thought about it. If the car was never designed for that, probably not a good idea to introduce it. I think I'd also get tired of it over time. Yeah... so no DV upgrades here! :cool: (y)

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Glad this thread actually came up. It was something I was just thinking about in my head since the DV was commonly upgraded on the mk6 as soon as you go Stg1. Sounds like there is no need to do that with this car. That's good I guess.

I was tempted for a moment to get the diverter valve they make with the spacer to add the air popping off sound but then thought about it. If the car was never designed for that, probably not a good idea to introduce it. I think I'd also get tired of it over time. Yeah... so no DV upgrades here! :cool: (y)
Most remove the boomba DV spacer within a few days/weeks of install

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Best maintenance: revert to stock. OEM DV is not a weak link in the system unless you’re Hybrid/BT power levels, and even then it’s likely better for the job than an aftermarket part
You're correct even for a hybrid it's the best DV.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
GFB DV+ is useless.

Once VW updated to the Rev D in the late mk6 cycle yeah.

Replacing my rev C DV to the GFB immediately fixed my boost fluttering issues 2012