GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7.5 Euro tail lights - is it okay to have?

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Hello all,

Hope you have a nice weekend!

I am considering getting mk7.5 Euro tail lights to my 2019 GTI, but wanted to make sure before going forward as I do not want to put it on/off time to time due to some legal or inspection issues.

Is it legal or okay to put the tail light in PA or in the states? I am currently living in PA.

Please let me know your thoughts on the Euro tail lights!

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I like the NAR LED tail lights that our 7.5s come with over the Euro LEDs personally but that's a subjective (and I'm betting minority) opinion. As for legality, I know tons of people who run these with no issues so I'm sure you'd be fine if you went that route.

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
I like the NAR LED tail lights that our 7.5s come with over the Euro LEDs personally but that's a subjective (and I'm betting minority) opinion. As for legality, I know tons of people who run these with no issues so I'm sure you'd be fine if you went that route.
Good to know. Thanks.

I somewhat agree with you, the US OEM tail lights are not bad. But, the only sequential light (no audi OEM style) is too good.

bagged_hag

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
Fellow PA resident here. While I can’t speak from experience as I don’t have euro tails on my GTI, I would have to imagine that as long as you have the prerequisite functioning lights (both brake lights, running lights, reverse lights, turns, hazards, etc.) most inspection stations won’t bother you. I doubt that most look for DOT markings vs TUV markings.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
TUV is stricter and safer generally, but sadly that doesn't mean much. The euro led tails technically do not meet dot regulations as-is, but its very unlikely anyone will give you any issue with them.

cb1111

PA used to be very strict on lighting during inspections and you may have issues. 10 years ago I would have guaranteed you problems, but it may have changed since then.

Unless somebody goes to the same inspection station, with the identical mods, with the same inspector who is in the same mood, then there is no way that somebody can tell you "you'll be OK."

You might be fine, but they do not meet the US or Canadian requirements.

And TÜV is not "safer generally" - it is just different. As an example - Side marker lights have been required in the US since 1968. TÜV will fail your car if you have sidemarkers.

The TÜV inspections are certainly stricter as they stick to the letter of the law, but that doesn't mean that the regulations are "better".

Specifically on the taillights, the FMVSS 108 has luminosity requirements that the "Euro" lights don't meet.

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
There are two types of euro taillights. One is the sequential one which most people buy and the other is in the Euro golfs with separate amber signal.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
There are two types of euro taillights. One is the sequential one which most people buy and the other is in the Euro golfs with separate amber signal.
I find the latter the best of them all; would love it it were sequential but for me it's a great combo.

IMG_2153.gif

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
PA with Euro tail lights reporting in -- Autohaus Lancaster informed me that they can't pass them (nor can they pass my Ed's Golf R rep headlights), but I've talked to other shops that have no issues with the lighting. It really depends on the shop/mechanic, if you talk to them ahead of time you can likely get a frank evaluation of if that's something they're willing to let slide or not.

I keep my factory lights in a box just in case, swapping them is super easy if you've already run the harness. The headlights not so much, but that's a risk I'm willing to take for the improved visibility over the halogen/reflector housing stock part.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
Pennsylvania? Easy. Just go to your local industrial/ghetto area and drive around till you spot a "PA CAR INSPECTIONS PERFORMED HERE!" hand-painted sign.

Pay ~$80 and get your two stickers. Usually you have to take off the old ones and put the new ones on yourself.

I drove in Philly for over 10 years and never once had a legit inspection. It is one of the easiest inspection system to skirt in the country imo.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'd like to think if you dont point out that you changed your lights they would never even notice

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
I'd like to think if you dont point out that you changed your lights they would never even notice

"hyuck hyuck, we dont take too kindly to you European led tail types around here! now get yalls ass out the way so we can wave this 350 diesel wit smoke stacks on through"

Grey Hare1

I find the latter the best of them all; would love it it were sequential but for me it's a great combo.

View attachment 226371
Hello bob. From whom did you buy those taillights? How easy to install? Any custom harness required? Any coding required?

Sorry for the questions but I would appreciate you sharing some info before I go ahead and spend money on this.

Thx in advance.

Claude.
2019 GTI in Canada

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
It's illegal because they're not DOT marked. The sweeping signal in particular doesn't meet DOT regs for lit area at first turn on. Also side marker regs. I turn off the sweep when bringing it in for inspection, haven't had a problem in 4 years.