GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Low oil pressure - help

Aidan97

Car(s)
2017 GTI
I have just had my 2017 GTI diagnosed at the dealer - tells me I need a new engine. I have low oil pressure below 2000 rpm but above 2000 rpm the oil pressure is within spec. Has anyone heard of this or ideas on what the problem can be - replacing the engine is not an option for me! Looking for any help or suggestions- thanks!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Welcome to the forum. If they didn't do a compression test have them do so.

Aidan97

Car(s)
2017 GTI
Find out WHY they say you need a new engine. Why did you bring it to the dealer in the first place?
They told me that it maybe the oil pump but most likely is something wrong inside the engine and it will need to be replaced - no other reason given. In terms of taking it to the dealer - I don't know of any reliable mechanics so felt that was my only option.

Aidan97

Car(s)
2017 GTI
Welcome to the forum. If they didn't do a compression test have them do so.
Thank you for the response - I am not mechanically inclined so not sure what a compression test is of does, I do see in my bill for the diagnostic that it says what they performed an engine oil pressure test - is this the same thing. The results of this preasure test was that at hot idle (.4 bar) and at 2000 rpm it was 1.2 -1.6 bar which is spec.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
It’s not the same thing. You can rent the tool for free at your auto store but if you are not mechanically inclined let your mechanic do it. Even a mobile mechanic could do it at your house (which will be much cheaper than the dealer)

Aidan97

Car(s)
2017 GTI
It’s not the same thing. You can rent the tool for free at your auto store but if you are not mechanically inclined let your mechanic do it. Even a mobile mechanic could do it at your house (which will be much cheaper than the dealer)
Thanks - I am going to see a private mechanic who specializes in VW's and a friend of mine highly recommends - I'll get him to.do it

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Wow, this dealer is jumping to conclusions...any other shops around that may properly diagnose? At the very least actual oil pressures should be checked.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wow, this dealer is jumping to conclusions...any other shops around that may properly diagnose? At the very least actual oil pressures should be checked.
See below where they did test actual pressure.
Thank you for the response - I am not mechanically inclined so not sure what a compression test is of does, I do see in my bill for the diagnostic that it says what they performed an engine oil pressure test - is this the same thing. The results of this preasure test was that at hot idle (.4 bar) and at 2000 rpm it was 1.2 -1.6 bar which is spec.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
OP, start with the compression test and then have a leak down test performed. After that, I would take a borescope to go down each cylinder to inspect the psiton heads and cylinder walls. Also, just for shit and giggles, take a look at each spark plug. If one of them has oil on the tip, well, that's a good indication that the piston rings for that piston are starting to fail.

B52e708

Car(s)
2015 GTI S
Compression has nothing directly to do with oil pressure, only a possible indication of the amount of wear on the engine which would include bearings. The first thing I would check is the viscosity rating and miles on the oil. Does the oil meet the VW spec of 502.00? Likely a 5W40 oil.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Compression has nothing directly to do with oil pressure, only a possible indication of the amount of wear on the engine which would include bearings. The first thing I would check is the viscosity rating and miles on the oil. Does the oil meet the VW spec of 502.00? Likely a 5W40 oil.
Welcome to the forum.

Low compression is because of worn piston rings and has everything to do with low oil pressure. Read the very first sentence in the link.

https://rxmechanic.com/symptoms-of-bad-piston-rings/

B52e708

Car(s)
2015 GTI S
Welcome to the forum.

Low compression is because of worn piston rings and has everything to do with low oil pressure. Read the very first sentence in the link.

https://rxmechanic.com/symptoms-of-bad-piston-rings/
I read the entire article and read a few others and looked at pictures of pistons and rings but I fail to see any indication that any of the rings are pressurized and thus be involved in maintaining oil pressure. If there is a diagram or picture indicating otherwise I would like to see it so I can change my mind. I just can't see how or why the rings would be pressurized in a manner involving pressure from the oil pump. Low compression is certainly problematic but I don't think it would cause low oil pressure.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I read the entire article and read a few others and looked at pictures of pistons and rings but I fail to see any indication that any of the rings are pressurized and thus be involved in maintaining oil pressure. If there is a diagram or picture indicating otherwise I would like to see it so I can change my mind. I just can't see how or why the rings would be pressurized in a manner involving pressure from the oil pump. Low compression is certainly problematic but I don't think it would cause low oil pressure.
I don't know what to tell you. It was in the very first sentence. I guess you don't agree with the experts.

95b14

Go Kart Newbie
Low oil pressure will cause wear to piston rings and thus lose cylinder pressure (compression) but worn piston rings does not cause low oil pressure, this is generated by the oil pump and viscosity of the oil.

Op, when the person above asked why you brought the car to the dealer, I think they meant was the car having any symptoms or issues that prompted you to take it to a shop for diagnosis. That being said, is the car exhibiting some sort of issue that prompted you to take it in for service? (Ie running poorly, CEL, etc)