GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo flutter mid boost?

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
I just installed the stage 2 cobb ecu tune and now whenever I step on it I hit a solid 25lb of boost but the entire time 8 can hear what sounds to be turbo flutter... You know the sound... Some say it goes ffftffftffftffft or even the noise of someone drinking through a straw with an almost empty drink. It's so weird. I'll be in boost and all I hear is ffft ffft ffft ffft ffft. That turbo flutter. Is that normal? I purchased the EQT stage 2 tune about 20 minutes ago to replace the Cobb one but I have to run COBB u till I get the eqs tune sent to me...

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Normal. DV regulating boost.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
tenor.png

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
Normal. DV regulating boost
Okay thank you. I've never owned a boosted car/with a tune so that noise caught me off guard.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Okay thank you. I've never owned a boosted car/with a tune so that noise caught me off guard.
It's extremely difficult to tune out on the OEM turbos. The solution is to downshift before flooring it.

ShadyMF

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI IS38 6MT
It's extremely difficult to tune out on the OEM turbos. The solution is to downshift before flooring it.

I need to compare the DV part numbers on my is38 to my is20

my is20 never fluttered with any tune I used

my is38 flutters like crazy.

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Yeah I'm on the is20 lol. Interesting

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S

Nerdy Oreo

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Gti S
As long as I know it's not bad for the car I'm happy. Lol. Thank you

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI

IS38 design issue.
It always happened with my is20. Much worse on Unitronic than EQT, but still happened every now and then at a very specific speed and throttle input.

I've actually found my is38 to flutter less than the is20. Again, still happens every now and then but the solution is simple... Apply more throttle or downshift.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
My IS20 used to make the true "tu tu tu" flutter sounds when coming off throttle. I can't remember exactly but I think it only did it with Untitronic Stage 1. Stage 2 and Cobb tune for E30 and now IS38 only made the noises that OP describes, the quieter "pshh pshh" noises when getting on the throttle.

I kind of miss the TU TU TUUUU sounds.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
My IS20 used to make the true "tu tu tu" flutter sounds when coming off throttle. I can't remember exactly but I think it only did it with Untitronic Stage 1. Stage 2 and Cobb tune for E30 and now IS38 only made the noises that OP describes, the quieter "pshh pshh" noises when getting on the throttle.

I kind of miss the TU TU TUUUU sounds.

Good news is, you can get those noises back for free with a 10 second mod! Just unplug your DV!

(PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!)