GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That is horseshit. The decision is made in Germany based on if the ECU fas tuned at some point without having eyes on the car.

Again, the only question is "is the failure normally associated with a tune? Does the tune 'count' match how many times VW flashed the car?"

Yes, there are many things that can be influenced by the dealer or a "good" regional rep, but there are some that are out of their hands.

It looks like you've already made up your mind to keep the car as is and are merely looking for justification - that's fine, because there is a good chance that the car won't implode, but the dealer is feeding you a line of BS - they are experts at that and proves that the Burger King coupons work. Don't forget the hat.

Just an additional note - we always speak of tune "counts" - it isn't quite so straightforward as a simple number, but suffice it to say that VW can always tell if the ECU coding has been tampered with at some point in the past - and that is all that they care about.
There's far more than a good chance the car won't implode. There's thousands of GTI's running around with a stage 1 tune like the APR tune that's on the car or another brand of tune without imploding. And besides exactly how many miles are left on the CPO warranty and the likelihood of a powertrain warranty occurring during the remaining warranty especially when the car is properly maintained and driven. The OP has proven to be very astute in dealing with the situation and I don't doubt he will diligently maintain and drive the car.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
That is horseshit. The decision is made in Germany based on if the ECU fas tuned at some point without having eyes on the car.

Again, the only question is "is the failure normally associated with a tune? Does the tune 'count' match how many times VW flashed the car?"

Yes, there are many things that can be influenced by the dealer or a "good" regional rep, but there are some that are out of their hands.

It looks like you've already made up your mind to keep the car as is and are merely looking for justification - that's fine, because there is a good chance that the car won't implode, but the dealer is feeding you a line of BS - they are experts at that and proves that the Burger King coupons work. Don't forget the hat.

Just an additional note - we always speak of tune "counts" - it isn't quite so straightforward as a simple number, but suffice it to say that VW can always tell if the ECU coding has been tampered with at some point in the past - and that is all that they care about.

There's far more than a good chance the car won't implode. There's thousands of GTI's running around with a stage 1 tune like the APR tune that's on the car or another brand of tune without imploding. And besides exactly how many miles are left on the CPO warranty and the likelihood of a powertrain warranty occurring during the remaining warranty especially when the car is properly maintained and driven. The OP has proven to be very astute in dealing with the situation and I don't doubt he will diligently maintain and drive the car.
both these posts are true.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Remember, they did provide a solution for their mistake which they admit - they will buy back the car. So it's either get a different car or drive this one tuned with some slight risk on the warranty side. Those are the two choices and the middle ground "win-win" wasn't able to be negotiated (in-writing coverage of anything that goes wrong). What the dealer said actually has a lot of truth to it...it just leaves out the fact that if you put a rod through the block, that one is on you. I actually understand the dealer's angle here - so they say "anything goes" and you go to the track and beat on it and now it's all covered. I think the OP handled this like an adult and didn't "take it in the ass ass" like several folks here think with the hat/coupon comments. He can always get a lawyer invovled but again, you are really fucked on that b/c the dealer will simply say "No worries, we will buy back the car." wbich they offered wthout having to get a lawyer invovled. The bad case would be if the dealer told him to pound sand/f off then a lawyer would be a potential option but they would just again....buy the car back. Drive the car, have fun, and don't worry about all this warranty crap.....it will be fine....

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I wonder how much bandwith/storage/whatever of this entire forum is related to modding/warranty...hahahahahah

tigeo

Autocross Champion

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
So I test drove a stock one today. I definitely appreciated I could just drop the hammer below 60mph. It made city driving feel a little more “easy.” But geez after 60mph it was total meh. Huge difference. That ain’t worth a better “maybe” on a warranty I most likely won’t need.

So I’m going to lobby for the low torque tune to help limit some of the powertrain strain, and help smooth out the low end spin and ridiculous heat soak, and start saving for an FMIC.

Unless y’all thinking the high torque tune is worth updating (I’m on the 2018 version).

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If I wanted to go through 23 pages of sometimes extraneous or inaccurate information like most of the threads on any forum, I would. :)
I did see that the dealer offered a refund. Goes to show you how well they inspect a CPO car. Were the tires to CPO spec?

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So I test drove a stock one today. I definitely appreciated I could just drop the hammer below 60mph. It made city driving feel a little more “easy.” But geez after 60mph it was total meh. Huge difference. That ain’t worth a better “maybe” on a warranty I most likely won’t need.

So I’m going to lobby for the low torque tune to help limit some of the powertrain strain, and help smooth out the low end spin and ridiculous heat soak, and start saving for an FMIC.

Unless y’all thinking the high torque tune is worth updating (I’m on the 2018 version).
You definitely need the IC and if you bought performance tires they will help with traction. The answer is the Wavetrack LSD but that's pricey.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For day-to-day driving on a stage 1 GTI, an afftermarket IC isn't going to do much for you that you would even notice unless you logged it. 60-130 pulls for RoLl RAcinG IG glory? Sure. Tracking? Sure. Unless you are on boost sustained, your IATs will look about the same.

tigeo

Autocross Champion

Hard to want to drive a stock car after driving a tuned one.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For day-to-day driving on a stage 1 GTI, an afftermarket IC isn't going to do much for you that you would even notice unless you logged it. 60-130 pulls for RoLl RAcinG IG glory? Sure. Tracking? Sure. Unless you are on boost sustained, your IATs will look about the same.
He's in Florida so just normal driving will benefit from an IC and be very noticeable when accelerating just getting on the highway. No an IC won't increase power but it will help keep the power from being cut due to heatsoak.