GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turns out I bought a tuned CPO car

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I say keep the tune and have more fun with the car. I've tuned 3 generations of VWs and none of them have ever given me problems because of the tune (other than clutch issues). I bought my R at 6.4k miles and then tuned it a couple months later. I spent some time thinking about it before I tuned it though. It had a 6 year/72k mile warranty, the longest warranty I've ever had on a car, and I never really imagined spending this much on a car. My original plan was to keep it stock for a while and enjoy the car as is. Then somebody took me for a drive in their stage 2 R and I said fuck waiting. Having more fun with the car became more important than holding onto the warranty, especially when I'll likely never need to use it. If I have to bust out a couple grand for a repair I'm prepared for it.

Maintain a good relationship with the dealer. Use them for some oil changes here and there so they have records of it being done and records that you're maintaining the car properly. Then hopefully they like you enough to take care of you if something does go wrong. Even if they only covered a portion of the bill it'd still be a positive.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I say keep the tune and have more fun with the car. I've tuned 3 generations of VWs and none of them have ever given me problems because of the tune (other than clutch issues). I bought my R at 6.4k miles and then tuned it a couple months later. I spent some time thinking about it before I tuned it though. It had a 6 year/72k mile warranty, the longest warranty I've ever had on a car, and I never really imagined spending this much on a car. My original plan was to keep it stock for a while and enjoy the car as is. Then somebody took me for a drive in their stage 2 R and I said fuck waiting. Having more fun with the car became more important than holding onto the warranty, especially when I'll likely never need to use it. If I have to bust out a couple grand for a repair I'm prepared for it.

Maintain a good relationship with the dealer. Use them for some oil changes here and there so they have records of it being done and records that you're maintaining the car properly. Then hopefully they like you enough to take care of you if something does go wrong. Even if they only covered a portion of the bill it'd still be a positive.
That's definitely the way I'm leaning, and knowing what I know about this dealership, they'll take care of me the best they can.

As I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, where I'm actually leaning is going for the low torque tune, so the power is a little more usable and putting a little less stress on things. Honestly the high torque tune is only fun in 3rd gear or higher -- there's just no traction in 1st and 2nd. That kills the fun around town sometimes.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Ultimately, what I want isn't possible: They can't guarantee CPO coverage because it's not a simple matter of whether the car is TD1'ed or not. They can't guarantee warranty coverage on a vehicle I might abuse, and I understand that. The best bet is for me to not abuse the car, then they'll have no reason to tell VW the car has been abused, limiting the chance a warranty claim is denied. Being a "mod-friendly" dealership, they've had plenty of successful powertrain warranty claims on tuned vehicles. There were some other "off the record" things shared on the call that I wouldn't want to repeat here so not to blow up anyone's spot or trust.

Their VWOA rep also recommended going back to the stock tune to reduce the chance of a denied claim. I'm not crazy about it, but I'll try it. This will help me decide which is more important: The warranty or the tune. I suspect I'll prefer the free tune. If the tune, they'll flash the tune back and then we'll all go on as it were. At that point, I may see if they'd be willing to offer some other sort of make-good or compensation, but that seems unlikely since they've offered to buy the car back.

In the end, the resolution may be nothing but to be thankful I bought certified at this dealer and not somewhere else. But I'm happier to come to that resolution with respect and understanding between both parties, than not.

Have them remove the APR tune, so you're back to an un-tuned car in their eyes.

Buy an Accessport and get your own tune, and have the ability to remove it on your own if you ever have to go in for service.

PS: Get the hat.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG

Buy an Accessport and get your own tune, and have the ability to remove it on your own if you ever have to go in for service.

I mean...I was going to prioritize the free tune. But I guess the hat is about as good.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

They would still know that it's been tuned even if you remove the Access Port and would probably be less likely to work with the OP then had he stayed with the APR tune that the dealer itself installed. And I say this being an Access Port guy.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
They would still know that it's been tuned even if you remove the Access Port and would probably be less likely to work with the OP then had he stayed with the APR tune that the dealer itself installed. And I say this being an Access Port guy.
Don't worry, I'm not going to suddenly drop $1000 for a new Access Port and new tune. I'm sticking with the APR stuff.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
If you have a tune and like it, it's a waste to change. That money is better spent on rear sway bar and good tires.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
O
If you have a tune and like it, it's a waste to change. That money is better spent on rear sway bar and good tires.
I agree. I think the APR stage 1 low will be perfect for me. But I’m not gonna lie, I’m excited to try the car stock 😆