GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY MIB1 to MIB2 Infotainment Conversion (Part 1)

madwazzabi

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Atbhn PP
Both options listed can do the CP removal but have their own things to be mindful of,

Dealership, inconvenience of travelling to the dealership and you'll likely need to take special care to direct them to focus only on the amp if their tech isn't on the ball for the procedure.

Remote programming, you need to rent/buy and wait for the 5054A and DUB E100 and schedule a time with any of the remote programmers + cost for their time.

I feel like the cost with either option would be similar (unless you get some help like borrowing a 5054A and DUBE100 free from a local user).

HawkeAssault

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 GTI, '92 Corrado
Both options listed can do the CP removal but have their own things to be mindful of,

Dealership, inconvenience of travelling to the dealership and you'll likely need to take special care to direct them to focus only on the amp if their tech isn't on the ball for the procedure.

Remote programming, you need to rent/buy and wait for the 5054A and DUB E100 and schedule a time with any of the remote programmers + cost for their time.

I feel like the cost with either option would be similar (unless you get some help like borrowing a 5054A and DUBE100 free from a local user).
Most likely just going to go to a dealer. My local dealer helped me with my digital dash so I don’t think this would be too hard.

Blake1090

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Tried doing the retrofit this morning, but the connection to the car kept getting lost. Making it hard for the person coding the car. Anyone else run into this issue?

I had ignition in accessory mode. (I do have KESSY.) Turning on the engine did not help.
Running Windows on Bootcamp on old MacBook. My car is literally 3 feet from the router. Using VAS 5054A connected USB to MacBook.

Blake1090

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Tried doing the retrofit this morning, but the connection to the car kept getting lost. Making it hard for the person coding the car. Anyone else run into this issue?

I had ignition in accessory mode. (I do have KESSY.) Turning on the engine did not help.
Running Windows on Bootcamp on old MacBook. My car is literally 3 feet from the router. Using VAS 5054A connected USB to MacBook.
Using a PC fixed the issue. Bootcamp on Mac did not work for me.

logo1

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just wanted to thank everyone for the information and research that went into this thread! I've lurked here for ...years :)
I successfully upgraded my 2015 GTI to a MIB2 + 8" screen after reading the dozens of pages in this thread multiple times...
Extra thanks to @simaservis1108 who helped me with removing CP + enabling AA+Carplay.

After the past ~18 months of working from home / less driving, I let my car sit a little too long and the battery died. My MIB1 didn't like that apparently and the display quit working :( A "known working" replacement display didn't fix the problem.
Since I was forced to buy parts and programming to fix my MIB1 anyways, I decided to try the upgrade. I don't know what I can offer beyond what has already been documented here, but I'll try to continue to watch this thread and answer any questions I can.

My replacement MIB2 was out of an Atlas, so it took a lot of programming with OBDEleven. I have a few non-standard options on my SE GTI too: DAP/DCC/PP -- I was able to get my Fender amp, backup camera, Charisma+DCC, early warning radar, parking sensors, and everything else going after a lot of research in this thread and others.

Parts I bought:
3Q0035844A MIB2: ebay for ~$170
5G6919605C 8" display: ebay for ~$200
5G1-819-728-AG-EVO vent surround/trim: vwpartsvortex ~$100 (doesn't match the faux carbon trim, but doesn't look bad!)
5G0035222E harness + usb/aux plug: aliexpress for ~$100
VAS 5054A tool: aliexpress for ~$120
D-Link DUB-E100: ebay for ~$15
+ Various ethernet cables, sdcard, fiberglass fish rods, simaservis's time: ~$YMMV

Running the usb/aux cables was a pain. Wrapping the cables in tesa tape + a flashlight in the glovebox + fiberglass fish rod all helped a lot. Like others, I found it easiest to go from the glovebox to the caddy.

It really is quite a bit to spend both time-wise and parts-wise, but I was going to be near it anyways considering the replacement MIB1+screen+dealer time. After some time playing with the new system...Worth it!

Last edited:

benny64

Car(s)
Golf GTI MK7
Just installed MIB 2.5 and 9.2 inch screen, Anyone know how to get rid of the car-net symbol at the top of the screen?
Any help much appreciated, cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20210814-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20210814-WA0004.jpeg
    986.6 KB · Views: 170

Blake1090

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
My Headunit didn’t come with an SD card so I bought a V4 SD card. When I insert it I just get a loading message and the maps never load. Anyone else have this issue?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
My Headunit didn’t come with an SD card so I bought a V4 SD card. When I insert it I just get a loading message and the maps never load. Anyone else have this issue?
I forget exactly how it works, but the VW map data cards in North America have some weird encryption on them, you can't just buy a used card from ebay and throw it in. I don't know the specifics but the only way to get updated maps is from a retrofitter/coder.

molware

Car(s)
Golf MK7
Been reading through this thread, and looking to get this done on my 2015 S.

If I buy an already unlocked(CP removed) head unit, and the appropriate screen do I still need to have FEC's enabled OR am I just plug and play with some coding needed?
Also can I do all the coding with my OBDEleven?

85octane

Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI SE
Can 3Q0035880B headunit be used for retrofit? I see a lot of these available compared to 3Q0035876.
Yes it can. Actually, most 3Q0035880B’s on car-part are actually 3Q0035876’s. LKQ sent me the wrong unit 3 times and I finally found someone to actually check the pn before purchasing. It was an 876 but they brought the price down to match the older radio.
Now I’m so close to finally being able to shut the car off and still listen to the radio! The other things are cool too - navigation, better resolution, AA/Carplay, way less lag - but i never would’ve went with this retrofit if the dang radio just stayed on until I opened my door. Plus my MIB1 freezes and requires a reboot once a month.

xabhax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI
I forget exactly how it works, but the VW map data cards in North America have some weird encryption on them, you can't just buy a used card from ebay and throw it in. I don't know the specifics but the only way to get updated maps is from a retrofitter/coder.
You sure about that. i bought a used sd card on ebay. worked for me.