GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Gti Gasoline Leak Problem

CarreraX

I hate to dig up an old thread but I need some help. My 2015 GTI (88k miles) started dripping gas out the right rear fender liner as someone else mentioned earlier. The tank was almost empty. I am someone that does top the gas off when I fill it (yes, Im an idiot). It was dripping out a pretty good stream. I took off the cap and there was a gurgling noise etc. I also searched and my car has not had the recall done. I have a call into the dealer to see if its still eligible for free. Im wondering if I have just filled up the charcoal canister over the years and maybe I can just replace it? Any ideas are appreciated. I really dont want to spend $2k as someone mentioned earlier. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jacobmk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI S 4dr DSG
I hate to dig up an old thread but I need some help. My 2015 GTI (88k miles) started dripping gas out the right rear fender liner as someone else mentioned earlier. The tank was almost empty. I am someone that does top the gas off when I fill it (yes, Im an idiot). It was dripping out a pretty good stream. I took off the cap and there was a gurgling noise etc. I also searched and my car has not had the recall done. I have a call into the dealer to see if its still eligible for free. Im wondering if I have just filled up the charcoal canister over the years and maybe I can just replace it? Any ideas are appreciated. I really dont want to spend $2k as someone mentioned earlier. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Take the wheel off and inspect the pipe going from filler neck to tank, fill it up to make it leak if necessary. I doubt that the charcoal canister is leaking gas onto the ground.

CarreraX

Thanks for the reply! I just made an appointment to have the recall done next week so I dont want to fill up the car yet. I will pull the wheel off and see what I can find though.

SteveGiant

Posting to say that I had the same exact issue with my 2017 GTI this week. My car is just at 40k miles so no warranty. The price the dealer quoted was over $2,300 for the same repair/replacement but they contacted VW and asked for them to help with the cost. VW is discounting the repair by 80% so I'm paying the remainder. Dealer said that he's seen several of these in the past couple of weeks and suspects there could be a recall pending.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Posting to say that I had the same exact issue with my 2017 GTI this week. My car is just at 40k miles so no warranty. The price the dealer quoted was over $2,300 for the same repair/replacement but they contacted VW and asked for them to help with the cost. VW is discounting the repair by 80% so I'm paying the remainder. Dealer said that he's seen several of these in the past couple of weeks and suspects there could be a recall pending.

Welcome to the forum fellow Phoenix guy.

carlos_a

Car(s)
GTI 2017

Hi @SteveGiant can you share what was the diagnostic/repair done to your car?

Radfox

Ready to race!
I have a 2016 Golf R with over 50,000 miles and my car just started not letting me put gas in. Only the filler tube fills up.

I took everything apart (except the filler neck, because I don't see how its serviceable or removable from the tank) and found that the EVAP can was full of gas. I blew into the lines on the can and gas poured out the filter on the can. So for you folks that are seeing or smelling gas this is how it is escaping at the passenger wheel well. I dried it and reassembled it and drove to put some gas in and it still wouldn't allow it. I pulled off the large vent line on the evap can while at the gas station and it still wouldn't let me put any gas in. I also used a silicone hose to push open the flapper (980mm per Erwin) that sits at the bottom of the filler neck where it fits into the tank, and it still wouldn't let me put any gas in.

A GTI owner suggested that its the suction jet pump, because that is what fixed his problem. The problem with this is that the jet pump is not serviceable on the NA R, and my car is not listed on the recall. I put a boreascope in the tank, and you physically cant get to the other side of the tank because of the driveshaft hump. The other problem with this is that as far as I can tell the jet pump is working exactly as it should. I can watch the VCDS readings on the two floats. I emptied gas on the passenger side of the tank, started the car and watched the fuel level drop on the drivers side and rise on the passenger side.

I've been looking at different parts breakdowns of the fuel tank and I cant find a rollover valve listed for the MK7 and I think its because its built into the filler neck somewhere. If I could get to the rollover valve I could possibly exercise it and maybe it would start working again. Otherwise from reading the previous posts it sounds like I have to replace the whole damn fuel tank on my dime.

This shit sucks... Anyone have any more information or suggestions on this?

SteveGiant

Hi @SteveGiant can you share what was the diagnostic/repair done to your car?
Sorry for the delay. Check it out.
61526363453__37072EE8-3465-46CA-83A1-A3669E9EA0FD.jpg

hagront

My 2016 GTi started leaking gas over the charcoal canister filter about a month ago at 53k miles, searching forums I found that this is one of the symptoms of not performing recall 20y6, which was performed in my cat in 2016 around 22k miles. Long story short, that recall was performed by a shady dealer that I reported to VWoA for using non oem parts in my vehicle, reported the issue to VWoA, opened a case, took it to the dealer I have been using since the issue and Vw covered the whole bill, even with my car our of the 3/36.
The techs at dealer told me they have seen more that 10 cars with this issue in the last two - three months, they even had all parts, tank, canister and the two valves in stock. Great today to everyone

Trypticon

Sorry for the delay. Check it out.

@SteveGiant do you have any idea what your dealership told VW or who they spoke with in order to get the results you got? I'm dealing with this issue now with fewer miles on my car than yours and Volkswagen told me:

"I did not see any recall for this issue for your GTI. Also, I was unable to find any applicable warranty that may assist you in this repair. I would recommend having the dealership assist you with the pending service action. But as far as getting assistance with the current repair that is not something that Volkswagen would be able to assist you with at this time."

I don't really have $2300 laying around to replace my fuel tank and evap system.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Just discovered this problem on my 2017, little over 30k miles. They better not try to charge me $2300 😟

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
How tf is fuel not covered under powertrain warranty? Isn't the sole purpose of fuel to power the engine? Apparently fuel/suction pumps aren't covered?

Just saw OP was able to get it covered under insurance, guess that'll probably be my best bet

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
How tf is fuel not covered under powertrain warranty? Isn't the sole purpose of fuel to power the engine? Apparently fuel/suction pumps aren't covered?

Just saw OP was able to get it covered under insurance, guess that'll probably be my best bet
It would fall under the emissions warranty.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Just discovered this problem on my 2017, little over 30k miles. They better not try to charge me $2300 😟
Friend had a problem with 2016 base gold. Went to an Indy shop and had used tank put in for 800cad. Entire tank needs to be replaced.